Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 20, 2018 7:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blues on public radio
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 1:29 am 

For blues fans, you can hear a very good 3-hour blues show on public radio on Sunday evening, 8-11 p.m. EST (in about 1/2 hour from when I'm posting this). Since most of you aren't in central or northern Michigan, you'll have to do it online. Here's a link:
http://radio.wcmu.org/how-listen

The lucky ones, like me, get to do it by radio--snatching tiny signals out of the air after carefully selecting a frequency on a lighted dial. There's something about that process that has comforted me since childhood.

The program is "The Juke Joint" and its host, Robert Barclay, has been doing this for 32 years (as a volunteer!!). He knows a lot and presents informed commentary with the music. He'll play blues, R&B, gospel, and some country and rock too on occasion. Robert loves t get e-mails from listeners, even if only to tell him where they're listening. And if you engage in some discussion, he'll reply.

Chris Campbell

Post subject: Re: Blues on public radio
PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 5:37 am 

When 740am isn't coming in well on the Sunday drive home from work, I tune in to the juke joint.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 1:09 pm 

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the lead, I tuned it in on line and enjoyed the program!

Tim

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:40 am 

Robert Barclay has been doing that show as a volunteer--no pay--for 32 years. He loves music and the musicians. He's got a bunch of recorded performer interviews that he'll use from time to time on his show. A couple years ago, after corresponding with him for many years about his broadcasts, I met him and his wife at their home in Mt. Pleasant. He has a huge garage loft, with all the walls in shelves for a vast collection of CDs, LPs, and 78s. I'm talking ladders-to-get-to-the-top shelves, not the little wimpy ones that we have.

If you listen in, be sure to shoot him an e-mail, if only to say "I'm listening in from ______." He loves to hear from the listeners. In the summer, I migrate from one side of Michigan to the other on weekends, and Robert has been my companion on the road as I drive along in the dark on Sunday nights for almost as long as his show has been on the air. I had put a Pioneer Supertuner cassette machine in my Datsun, and bingo! I could get music!

He'll do special shows for Elvis's birthday week, or MLK day (gospel), and other special events. The idea is that these forms of music are quite closely related. Many blues and R&B performers listened to country music over the radio; Elvis loved gospel and blues.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 3:36 pm 

This is good to hear. I haven't lived in MI for about 15 years, but I'll definitely check out the program online.

Throughout most of eastern VA we have a public radio show on Friday nights at 8:00 p.m. called A Shot of the Blues, hosted by Paul Shugrue. He focuses more on new releases than older music -- he also hosts a show on new music called Out of the Box -- but he'll still throw on plenty of Chicago blues acts and the occasional Delta blues tune. It's available online too on the WHRO web site.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 11:51 pm 

Robert will be on the air in about an hour (8 p.m. EDT).

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 12:49 am 

Bob Corritore does a great show Sunday night as well on KJZZ-FM in Phoenix. They stream as well.

http://kjzz.org/music/blues/shows/lowdownblues/

Dennis

PostPosted: Jul Thu 26, 2018 6:20 pm 

The local PBS station out of Grand Rapids, MI, WGVU has (or had) a great blues show Saturday nights. Haven't listened in years. I think they also carried "Dr. Jazz" another show I liked.
RW

"Hear all; trust nothing."- Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #190

PostPosted: Aug Thu 02, 2018 5:50 am 

Hey, Radiowizard, anybody who uses a carferry photo ought to be listening to the radio! My father proposed to my mother on one of the carferries.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Aug Thu 02, 2018 6:50 pm 

That boat is/was the Chief Wawatam. "SS Chief Wawatam was a coal-fired train ferry and icebreaker that operated in the Straits of Mackinac in 1911-1984. Her home port was St. Ignace, Michigan, and she shuttled back and forth during her entire working life between that port and Mackinaw City, Michigan. "-from a Youtube video. Lots of info on that baby.
RW

"Hear all; trust nothing."- Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #190