Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: where to get HV capacitors for electrostatic sets
PostPosted: Oct Wed 27, 2004 6:53 am 

Hey, guys- does anyone know of a good online source of 6KV, .0047 MFD TUBULAR (not ceramic disc) capacitors, ideal for the vertical coupling caps in 7" electrostatic TVs? I know there was a thread about this before. Seemed I thought someone said Mouser but I just checked their website and it seems they have all ceramic discs. Seemed they did have polypropelene film ones too though, that are .022mfd and another that is .00047. The .022 seemed quite expensive, but wonder if these are as good as the .0047 tubular ones that USED to be available at Antique Electronics Supply. Thanks- <P>Dave<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 27, 2004 7:08 am 

They are listed in the latest Allied Electronics catalog. I'm going to have to buy a set for my Motorola and Sentinel but I've not had time to even dig out the Sams and find out the values they need.....<P>------------------<BR>KAØSCR

PostPosted: Oct Thu 28, 2004 9:49 am 

The ASC Metalized Polypropylene line seems to be the replacement of choice, I have been buying them from Allied. For the .0047 6000V cap, the ASC part number is X675-.0047-10-6000 and Allied's part number is 225-6075. If you go to Allied's website <A HREF="http://alliedelec.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://alliedelec.com/</A> and find the catalog page with that part number, you'll see the other values in that series.<P>Chuck Azar recently got misinformation from Allied reps who told him these parts were not in stock but it turned out that they were after all, so don't take no for an answer!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 29, 2004 9:01 pm 

Allied part #225-6075 is polyester not<BR>polypropylene. Do they work as well?<P>Norm<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Sat 30, 2004 5:59 am 

Norm, sorry, my brain synapses must have been a bit scrambled when I typed that. Anyway, that is the capacitor that I and many others have used in the electrostatic sets, and they seem to work great.<P>------------------

PostPosted: Oct Sun 31, 2004 7:36 am 

Thanks for the info, guys- I have found the ASC metallized film caps, and the value I need is out of stock at present and they say that they will not get any in January. However, I saw 2 other caps that they do have in stock where the prices still are not too bad and I think they could work- wonder what you guys think?<BR>One is a .01 mfd 6000v, I would think that since it is a vertical coupling cap, it would be OK to go higher in value, but not lower, and as long as voltage is the same or greater. Other option is they have a .0047, 8KV cap- probably larger and more expensive than necessary, but not by much- could work just as well. Thanks for the info! Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Sun 31, 2004 7:43 am 

Oh, and by the way, Randy-<P>If you have an old Motorola electrostatic set, and a Sentinel, I bet they both use the same caps in them as my Motorola and Sentinel that I had previously restored- as well as this Tele-Tone I'm about to work on. In most 7" electrostatic sets, they use two .0047, 6KV caps for coupling signals to the vertical deflection plates, whereas they use .001, 6KV (2 of them, as well) for the horizontal coupling. Some sets also have a .0047, 6KV as a high voltage filter capacitor, coming off the HV rectifier. All the other "wax" capacitors are 600V or lower, and in some circuits, 200V are used. Lots of .05 (or .047) and .1MFD caps, as well as a couple of other values as well, such as .001, .002, or .02. Best of luck restoring your set! Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Sun 31, 2004 7:07 pm 

Hi Dave,<P>If you call Allied and talk to a real person and explain the possible error in the back order situation, they may find the caps you want after all, as David K mentioned above. <P>Otherwise I would go with the .0047 8Kv ASC brand caps, I have used them and they are not that much different in size. The ones I had were an oval cross section instead of round. They are still much smaller than the original HV caps. <P>I don't think changing the value to .01 is a good idea because of possible issues with linearity due to changing the time constant of the circuit. They always say component values in deflection circuits are critical and shouldn't be changed. <P>------------------<BR>Dennis

PostPosted: Oct Sun 31, 2004 7:19 pm 

Dave, this situation with Allied seems a bit ridiculous. I ordered these caps about two weeks ago and at that time they had several hundred in stock. Maybe they have run out, but when Chuck Azar and I checked, we got totally opposite answers from Allied.<P>I'm going to call my local Allied rep tomorrow and ask her to check stock once again. If she says that they do have stock, I'll ask her to email you.<P>------------------

PostPosted: Nov Mon 01, 2004 7:50 am 

David you're right .001's and .005's. I'm working up an order for Allied now, got it saved in a parts list will add some more tomorrow when I figure out what I need that I don't already have....<P>------------------<BR>KAØSCR

PostPosted: Nov Mon 01, 2004 11:06 pm 

I called Allied this morning and indeed, they have no stock on the .0047 6kv caps, more are expected in January.<P>However they do have 48 .0047 8kv caps in stock for 35 cents more, so those would be a good sub. The part number is 225-6080, they're $3.00 each. <P>Allied has a $25 minimum order.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2005 11:46 pm 

Hi Guys,<P>At last....another source for 6000V film capacitors.... and they are "in stock" and we will keep them "in stock". We now carry these (sometimes hard to find) 6000 volt tubular axial film caps. Thanks to all of you TV buffs for letting me know the sizes you need most. <P>Regards, Dave (of JustRadios) <A HREF="http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html</A> <P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.justradios.com" TARGET=_blank>www.justradios.com</A>

Post subject: Re: where to get HV capacitors for electrostatic sets
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 3:58 pm 

Hi, I recently had an ASC cap fail in my airline electrostatic set, .0047 @6K went bad .Has anyone had issues with this brand cap? It hardly had any hours on it is what puzzles me. It's in the vertical circuit and you can guess what problems that posed.Should i have bought a Sprague brand ? Any input is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:23 pm 

I have used literally several hundred ASC brand HV caps in 7" sets over maybe the past 20 years or so, and never had any failures. In fact I bought 200 of them at one time a few years ago. Hopefully yours was a random failure, since we haven't heard any other reports. I wasn't aware you could even get that type of capacitor from Sprague any longer.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 7:54 pm 

Dennis, I found some sprague caps on the net. I was shocked when I found it was bad. I was watching the TV when the vertical started rolling and I couldn't adjust it. After changing tubes (6sl7) I still had the problem.Pulled the chassis and checked all the caps in the circuit and found that one bad. Those caps aren't cheap as you know.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 8:01 pm 

can I use ceramic disc caps instead of the polyester metalized caps?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 12:09 am 

radionut wrote:
can I use ceramic disc caps instead of the polyester metalized caps?

For coupling to the CRT, not a good idea, I have seen cases where they affect linearity or cause a jagged piecrust edge on items in the picture. I do use disc ceramics sometimes in the HV filtering right off the rectifier, with no issues.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:05 pm 

Its OK to use ceramic caps for the deflection plate coupling of these
7" electrostatic sets if you double the voltage rating and double the
capacitance. Those caps use a dielectric that loses capacitance with
increasing voltage. Using rated voltage requires much more cap,
like 4 or 5 times.

This works just fine.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:16 am 

guy's ,thanks for the valuable info!!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:19 am 

as a side note, I had an electrolytic(new) that was bad in an RCA 721 a few years back......It had me stumped for awhile.....

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next