Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 25, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cool Old Remote
PostPosted: Jul Wed 06, 2011 4:06 pm 

Got this in a box at an estate sale, I'm guessing mid 60's? as you press the button(s) down, a metal piece flies out and strikes an aluminum rod, which does the appropriate function. I don't have any real use for it, but would it be worth the trouble listing it on eBay, or should it just be something I put on one of the many shelves I have as a classic piece of Americana? I wish the remotes these days still looked as classy.

Image Image

Saving America's acoustical history, one phonograph at a time..

Post subject: Re: Cool Old Remote
PostPosted: Jul Wed 06, 2011 5:02 pm 

Early to mid-70s. There were different versions, some with more buttons. It is a classy looking remote-Zenith always did know how to appeal to folks that way. I haven't checked to see what they are selling for right now; I have a few like this one but I don't think any are as clean as yours. For what it's worth, the TV this went to was one of the best built sets ever made anywhere.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 06, 2011 5:13 pm 

I quite like it, to be honest. I used a solution I have to turn the heavily yellowed Power button to it's original color (almost.) Probably should have let it soak another hour or two. The solution works great, I'm slowly turning every yellowed piece of plastic in this house white again.

I'm a bit surprised it could be a mid 70's model, I would have thought they would have gone to infared by then.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 06, 2011 5:31 pm 

SignatureSeriesOwner wrote:
I quite like it, to be honest. I used a solution I have to turn the heavily yellowed Power button to it's original color (almost.) Probably should have let it soak another hour or two. The solution works great, I'm slowly turning every yellowed piece of plastic in this house white again.

I'm a bit surprised it could be a mid 70's model, I would have thought they would have gone to infared by then.

Definitely 70's era.
I've got an identical one with 4 push buttons..... the origin of the slang term "clicker" obviously came from these "tuning fork" style remotes.

Magnavox used a bellows/whistle principal in their older remotes.

Infrared remotes started showing up sometime around 1980.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 07, 2011 1:27 am 

Back in those days you could sometimes change the channels or adjust volume by just rattling a set of keys if they happened to hit the same frequency as these audible remotes.

I remember seeing one, (forget what make) that used a little metal tube (whistle) and a bellows inside. When you pressed the button it released a puff of air through the tube and the high pitched whistle was picked up by a Piezo microphone element on the TV. No batteries required!

PostPosted: Jul Thu 07, 2011 1:42 am 

CaveRat wrote:
Back in those days you could sometimes change the channels or adjust volume by just rattling a set of keys if they happened to hit the same frequency as these audible remotes.

I remember seeing one, (forget what make) that used a little metal tube (whistle) and a bellows inside. When you pressed the button it released a puff of air through the tube and the high pitched whistle was picked up by a Piezo microphone element on the TV. No batteries required!

I mentioned the "make" in my previous post.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 2:59 am 

Quote:

I am curious to know what this solution is that whitens yellowed plastic.
Quote:

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 3:38 am 

All the secrets of removing yellow from plastic are revealed here:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

"I Miss Civilization, Don't You?"

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 4:38 am 

^ That's the link.

Basically, if you have smaller objects, you'll need a clear (very important) container, some 15-20% Hydrogen Peroxide (40 Volume from Sally Beauty Supply does it) and some Oxy powder. Generic, OxyClean, it doesn't matter.

For a gel, you'll need that, Xanthan gum, and Glycerine. Works well on larger objects.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 4:47 am 

I may have a use for one of those ultrasonic Zenith remotes soon, I have my eye on a '70s Zenith but I'm not sure of the year. It's one of those white console ones on a pedestal that looks like it came from "Space 1999" or a "Clockwork Orange".
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jul Mon 11, 2011 3:08 am 

I believe you are desrribing a Zenith Avante console.

Tom C.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 11, 2011 3:12 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
I believe you are desrribing a Zenith Avante console.

Tom C.

I couldn't find a model name on it anywhere, just a number, but I'm sort of interested in getting it if I can find a place for it. It isn't really an antique but it is interesting and reasonably well made, sort of a novelty if anything.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 1:37 am 

Back in my mispent youth my neighbor had one of those Zenith sets with that mechanical remote.

When you push a button it sounds an ultrasonic note higher in frequency than human hearing.

I had a dog whistle and I could sit near the window of my den which was near the window of the neighbors den and tweak the pitch of my whistle and hear the channel change on the neighbors set.

Don't call me captain Crunch however :)

Jim

PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 1:44 am 

Oh capt'n, my capt'n! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Tom C.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 4:02 am 

This 1978 ad must have one of the last Avantis. That circular one is pretty cool too.

http://www.retro-commercials.com/2009/1 ... ommercial/