Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 22, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio's/TV's and their values
PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 2:29 am 

I consider myself a true serious radio/TV collector in that I not only like the way the sets look and sound, but the history of the subject facinates me too - has been since I was about 12. Having said that, I feel value is also an important element in buying/selling/insuring. Often, in discussions about items I own, or other people own, I mention values. Just recently, and in the past, I've had slightly heated discussions with people who get disgusted when you just mention this word. I feel there are two ways to go with this - either your a collector who just honestly admits that values play a part in collecting, like me, or one that agrees, but just doesn't admit it! :D
Is that not the truth?

Post subject: Re: Radio's/TV's and their values
PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 3:14 am 

Joe,
I think the problem is value means something very different to different people. The value when you are buying and the value when you are selling can be two completely different things. In my case, I have been around the block, made many mistakes, overpaid because I had to have it, etc. I was completely out of the hobby for years. This time around, there are very few things I fall in love with because that's a problem. I do not spend a lot of money on my sets. The only radio or tv I've paid over $100 on since I've been acquiring stuff again is $175 for a 1951 Zenith porthole combo in really nice shape with a good crt and fly and I think I overpaid on that and $140 on a working (at the time) Predicta, but I had to have them. I paid $100 on a Zenith cathedral that needs a little work but everything else I've bought, I've gotten for less. I've bought nice working Transoceanics for $10, Grunow 1191 for $50, Zenith black dial consoles for $50, RCA 8TS30 for $68, etc. I currently have about 40 radios and tvs and I've really slowed down again. This stuff is not junk either. I almost always will pass on anything if it's not 100% complete and in at least good condition. I would pay good money for a good set but I'm not going to get into a bidding war. The value is not there anymore when that happens.

I also enjoy the hunt. I constantly look at ebay and Craigslist. I haven't bought hardly anything on ebay for years because most of the time, the value is not there for me. I walk away from many things because they are just a little too much. Sometimes I change my mind, and the sets are always gone. But, this time, I know I will come across another one or something else that strikes my fancy because I always do.

Some guys collect to someday eventually cash in and have high buck sets and sell to high buck collectors. More power to em, but that's not for me. When I hear the word "investment" to me that means "bend over". But, I know that I can sell practically every set I have for way more than I paid for it (except probably the porthole and the Predicta) and still give the buyer a good deal compared to what's out there. That, my friend, in my mind, is value. However if I found a 1960 Sylvania Silouette in the modern style, who knows......

Some people would call me a cheap ass. Hell, I call myself a cheap ass. But I'm having fun and that's the way I do it. You may do it the same way or completely different and that's OK with me.

Greg

Last edited by ggregg on Jul Tue 12, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 3:28 am 

I've never understood people who get upset when others ask questions about the value of sets. If we simply try to give an idea of what a set usually goes for given its brand, model, and condition, it can be quite helpful to people. In many cases, the news is not all that encouraging, since a lot of sets generally sell for less than $100 in an unrestored state. On the other hand, there are exciting exceptions, like some of the pre-war sets that have turned up recently and been discussed here or on VK, or a few of the favorite postwar sets, like a 621TS or CT100.

There will naturally be disagreement from time to time on the value of particular sets, but these days there is a lot more hard data (eBay prices, and prices discussed here on various forums) so we can know the actual prices at which quite a number of sets are bought and sold.

The TV collector community as a whole tends to be a pretty frugal bunch. That may be the nature of people who are interested in this kind of stuff, or maybe it is because there is quite an oversupply of sets in general, compared to the number of interested collectors. Once you've been at this a while, you quickly realize that over a number of years, you will have numerous opportunities to buy interesting sets, so passing up one at a high price is not really a grand opportunity missed.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 3:32 am 

Also with tvs, shipping is usually always an issue. A current owner may not think it's part of the value but to a buyer it is. I've bought every tv I own within 100 miles of where I live because it's much cheaper for me to go get it than it is to ship it.

Value, to me, is what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't trust price guides, not that there are many for tv's anyway. Radio ones are nice reference guides but values seem hopelessly optimistic on all but the rarest sets.

And it took me a long time to realize it but Tom is right on about the number of sets out there. I pass on 95% of the the stuff I come across. Now if it was a 1960 Sylvania Sil................ :)

PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 10:20 am 

I do see a use for price guides to make you knowledgable of what is out there and as an indication if a set in the low, middle, or high range in value. Using them that way, they are worth-while. It helps me to know where I stand if I decide to purchase a particular set. I feel you need to have values on your mind to know what range to be a wise shopper/selller. As much as I love my collection, I do try to keep a decent quality collection because, in the back of my mind, is the thought that should I ever need to sell the items, I do have a decent investment. Not necessarily to make a profit, just to be able to at least break even. If you leave values out of your mind, and you by poor quality sets at high prices, I think you would foolish. Does this mean it's all about value? No. Like I said earlier, it is just part of being a collector.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 12, 2011 6:06 pm 

I would pretty much agree with everything you just said.

One thing we haven't brought up is who the buyer is. Some people only want one or a few nice pieces and they will pay whatever for them. Some collectors stick to only high buck sets and they pay a pretty penny for them because they know they are worth it. Some are always looking for deals. I tend to put myself in the last category most of the time.

Some sets, like other antique and collectable stuff, have dropped dramatically in value. Check out what the more common catalin sets are going for now compared to just a few years ago. But the really rare stuff will probably always be a good buy as long as you can get into it for the right price. What's the right price? That's up to the individual to decide.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 2:52 am 

Tom Albrecht wrote:
I've never understood people who get upset when others ask questions about the value of sets. If we simply try to give an idea of what a set usually goes for given its brand, model, and condition, it can be quite helpful to people. In many cases, the news is not all that encouraging, since a lot of sets generally sell for less than $100 in an unrestored state. On the other hand, there are exciting exceptions, like some of the pre-war sets that have turned up recently and been discussed here or on VK, or a few of the favorite postwar sets, like a 621TS or CT100.

There will naturally be disagreement from time to time on the value of particular sets, but these days there is a lot more hard data (eBay prices, and prices discussed here on various forums) so we can know the actual prices at which quite a number of sets are bought and sold.

The TV collector community as a whole tends to be a pretty frugal bunch. That may be the nature of people who are interested in this kind of stuff, or maybe it is because there is quite an oversupply of sets in general, compared to the number of interested collectors. Once you've been at this a while, you quickly realize that over a number of years, you will have numerous opportunities to buy interesting sets, so passing up one at a high price is not really a grand opportunity missed.

Being a fairly frugal TV/radio collector, I also agree with this. All the "restoration" shows people see on TV give them visions of grandeur at the value of their nearly collectible item. I have seen craigslist ads for items that eventually sold for 1/10 the original asking price. I rarely pay the asking price for a radio I have purchased because nearly everyone I have purchased them from knew nothing about the item. I am not saying I cheat people, I am willing to pay a fair price. I typically do this my making a reasonable offer , that gets refused by the seller, and I leave my contact information. After the seller has unsuccessfully tries to sell it for a long period of time, my offer appears much more reasonable and I get a call back.

Fortunately for me I happen to like not particularly valuable sets. I may be speaking for myself, but the price I pay for a set is generally irrelevant to the enjoyment I receive from it.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 3:27 am 

I don't even attempt to talk these nuts down on their prices, I used to, but then I got tired of hearing things like " That's an insult!" or "It's worth more than that to me" from sellers, I get all my fixes at realistic prices, I only paid $100 once for something.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 4:05 am 

When it comes to Value, I've learned (at long last) that patience is a virtue.

The last three TVs I've restored cost, on average, about $67.00. They broke down as follows:

RCA Victor 721TCS: $51.00 (ebay, buy it now price)
RCA Victor 721TS: 150.00 (Craigslist)
Raytheon M-1101: Free (Facebook)

All three are desireable, and were restoreable. You've all seen the results.

Before that, I would go off half-cocked, overpaying for many sets. Now, I've learned to take my time... 8)

Worcester, Mass

"Repairs/Resto's of Early TVs & Radios a Specialty - Just PM Me"

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 10:53 am 

M3-SRT8 wrote:
When it comes to Value, I've learned (at long last) that patience is a virtue.

The last three TVs I've restored cost, on average, about $67.00. They broke down as follows:

RCA Victor 721TCS: $51.00 (ebay, buy it now price)
RCA Victor 721TS: 150.00 (Craigslist)
Raytheon M-1101: Free (Facebook)

All three are desireable, and were restoreable. You've all seen the results.

Before that, I would go off half-cocked, overpaying for many sets. Now, I've learned to take my time... 8)

I can relate to what your saying. I've always overpaid for items in my collection, but then again, I've always looked for working, original, and complete sets from collectors. You pay a premium for that. I see values like this:
Low priced very common sets - $50-$150 area
Medium priced nicer common sets - $250-$350 area
Higher end uncommon sets - $500-$750 area
Rarer and more unique sets - near and above $1000
Even though it's all about purchasing a set because I like it, knowing values gives me a good general idea of the sets I can truly expect to add to my collection and the one's I might as well forgot about. Collectors might say they "don't care about values", but, like it or not, it is a part of being an antiques collector. It's silly to deny that.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 11:53 am 

Value to me is: Quality construction, good condition, complete, lots of eye candy, reputation among collectors. Purchasing sets that are rare, has historic value, and pricey I leave for the major league collectors:-)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 1:29 pm 

cwmoser wrote:
Value to me is: Quality construction, good condition, complete, lots of eye candy, reputation among collectors. Purchasing sets that are rare, has historic value, and pricey I leave for the major league collectors:-)

All true. Pretty much my outlook on vintage TVs. But now, my collection has got to the point that I have most of what I desired when I first got into the hobby. Now, I'm no longer impressed with some TVs just because they're "old." I'm much fussier now.

So I would add one more important factor to your list: I have to WANT it. Bad... 8)

Worcester, Mass

"Repairs/Resto's of Early TVs & Radios a Specialty - Just PM Me"