Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 31, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 9" RCA "mini-console" B&W portable
PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2012 6:21 am 

A friend picked this 9" RCA "mini-console" up for me at a flea market. This is a four tube hybrid set from 1970 and the wooden cabinet is a scaled down version of a larger console. The 4 tubes are used for video output, vertical oscillator/output, horizontal output/damper, and horizontal osc. Everything else, including the HV rectifier, are solid state. I have not applied a signal; but, the set lights up with snow. This appears to be a low hours set and the only major issue is the broken antenna. I really don't need the built-in antenna; but, it would be nice to have one on the set to keep it original looking. BTW, this set was originally marked at $75 at the flea market. I told my friend, over the phone, that the price was much too high and I wouldn't give over $10 or $15 for the set. He told the seller and I could hear her going on about how it was one of the first TV's ever made. She added that the set belonged to someone else and she could probably get them down to $40-$45; but, no lower. I told my friend that the price was still too high for my blood. He called back to say that she'd gotten the owners down to $30. I think these sets are interesting and I saw where two sold on greedbay for over $150/each. In my mind, that's insane and I'd never pay that much to own one; so, I called my friend back and told him to go ahead and get this set for $30. I figure that the chances of me finding one of these around my area is slim to none and, even if I got one online, I'd likely pay $30 just to ship it.

Post subject: Re: 9" RCA "mini-console" B&W portable
PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2012 4:09 pm 

Most of those were sold as bedroom sets, women could match the cabinet to their existing furniture.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.