Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 24, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can anyone identify this Zenith Console TV/Stereo?
PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 6:43 am 

I bought this combination console tv and stereo this past summer for $60 from the original owner's son. All I know is it's a Zenith and the style of the cabinet tells me it's from the 60s. Control panel says it's solid state. Don't know condition of TV. When it's turned on I do get "snow" and static from the speaker. (I know it would not receive a signal w/o a converter box). The AM radio does work well. I get nothing at all from FM. That's rather disappointing. (Any thoughts on that btw)? I have not been able to test the phonograph because I don't own any records haha, but it does power up. I find it rather odd that they did not set it up to play TV audio through the large speakers on the sides. It only plays thru the small speaker on the front of the TV. I googled the model number on the back of the TV and I got nada. IIRC, the number was X8530. Could you work your magic and tell me the correct model number, price when new, and year of manufacture? I know you can do it! :)

online photo sharing

Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this Zenith Console TV/Stereo?
PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 7:44 am 

If it's a Solid State TV then it would be early 70's but I'm guessing only the Radio/Phono part is SS and the TV is tubes.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 8:02 am 

Yes I pulled off the back and the TV is powered by tubes.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 3:31 pm 

The X identifies it as a 1967 model.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 3:50 pm 

23XC36 prob. I have that exact set.

Make sure the little FM wire is attached on the back of the set (you will see a place for the antenna hookups on the back by the radio, not the same place as the TV antenna hookups.

if there is no noise at all from the radio in the FM mode then try wiggling the transistors in there sockets (yes the transistors are plug in not soldered in) on the radio chassis. there should be a schematic showing what the transistors do, just like tube chart. Focus on the little transistors on the side of the chassis that has the IF cans. Just touch them and move them slightly with the radio on. Do not remove them with the power on.

That TV and Radio chassis was very well made.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 3:53 pm 

X8530 is a good model number, there should be a W after it to identify the walnut cabinet. 1967 is correct and the schematics for the radio are in Sams Photofact 893-9, while the TV schematic is in 908-3. Since those are still under copyright you will either have to buy them off eBay or possibly your local public library is on a plan with Sams where they can get them at no cost to you.

You would need to find some period advertising to determine the retail price.

At the time these were new, they had the best picture quality of any set on the market and great color. Some customers complained the picture was too sharp to suit them, but that is why it has a "peak picture" control (usually a green knob) so that can be adjusted.

The TV chassis is fairly reliable but at this late date even if it "works" you will probably need to replace the electrolytics and any weak tubes, clean the tuner and controls, and so on, and do a setup and convergence at the spot where it will be used.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thanks for all the great info guys! So then X8530 is the correct model number for the console as one unit? Why then when I do a google search do I only come up with eBay auctions for phonograph needles?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 3:40 pm 

This happens to be the TV that is prominently featured in the 2017 hit movie _Get Out_.