Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 22, 2018 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Emerson 609 projection TV restoration
PostPosted: Aug Mon 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

Instead of sending the mirror off at most likely a high cost, can you find a junker crt rear projector color set and get the mirror out of it and cut it down to size? They weren't tempered glass, replaced a few over the years with freight damage and they just shattered like plain old glass! I don't recall how touchy the mirrored coating was if trying to cut it it would ruin it anyway!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 12:59 am 

Interesting idea, but I don't know where I'd find a junker projection TV around here. In this state you have to pay a fee to recycle an old TV, and there's no putting stuff out on the curb.

Earlier today, I shipped the mirror off for recoating. Cross your fingers and hope it survives the trip!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Last edited by philsoldradios on Aug Tue 15, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 1:56 am 

I had a huge trapezoidal shaped, front coated mirror from a Mitsu DLP Projo sitting in a corner at work for a long time, I tossed it a couple months ago.

Not sure if it could've been cut down or not, I guess a Glass shop would be able to do it.

There's a store here that usually has some ancient CRT RPTVs hanging around, I took the following picture of the mirror in one that had been sitting in the rain so long the cabinet was falling apart. It could literally be had for $3.50 but you have to take the whole set, not a fun prospect.

Attachments:
mitsuproj.jpg
mitsuproj.jpg [ 19 KiB | Viewed 2037 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 3:57 pm 

There is a junker BPC projo on the curb a couple of blocks from work that I've had half a mind to take and scrap. Shipping the mirror don't sound terribly safe for the mirror though....

Have you considered contacting one or more of those recycling places and offering ~$5-10 for a good mirror? Many of those places break the sets up and sort into wood cabinet, PCB, CRT(s), plastic, and metal bins. They probably get 10 cents for the glass in the mirror, and would be happy to get $5 for one.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 6:35 pm 

Phil-
have you tried asking Glass shops in your area for "Optical Grade Mirrors" ?
we used to get Replacement projection room Mirrors locally, they were free from double images and distortion, and designed for Laser and projection systems .

-Terry

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 7:06 pm 

Thanks, yesterday I shipped my mirror off for recoating. I won't need these alternatives unless it's smashed in transit.

Regards,

Phil Nelson

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 12:16 am 

In my experience with front surface mirrors in these Protelgram projection sets. . . . I have never found a good replacement for the original.

I tried about a dozen front surface mirrors in my Scott 6T11 and reverted back to the original.

Jim

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2017 8:23 pm 

TV work is quite beyond me, although may father spent 45 years fixing them. I did want to say, however, how much I have enjoyed the threads on restoring this old projector.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2017 9:30 pm 

Thanks, this has been quite an adventure, so far. I hope to get the recoated mirror back in a week or two. I'm also waiting to bring the cabinet to a refinisher, so it will be a while before I can reassemble everything and try to get the optics under control.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2017 11:36 pm 

Phil

I will be anxious to see how your mirror works out.

My interest is my Scott 6T11 which has a less than perfect mirror.

I did try several front surface mirrors and most just didn't have enough reflectitivity to produce as bright an image as the original mirror.

I considered finding a tossed out projection big screen and cutting the mirror to fit or even possibly a polished piece of metal.

Jim

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 6:55 am 

I can vouch for the efficacy of the stretched mylar solution.

Many years ago I was helping our distributor who was doing a control refit in a line of about 30 lecture theatres in Hong Kong. They had a mixture of Sony and Panasonic 3 gun CRTs in a rear projection setup with the projectors below the screens in a small room, firing at Mylar mirrors. They gave some nice bright pictures from 300 and 600 lumen projectors.

Easy enough to make. Glue the mylar to an aluminium frame using contact adhesive. Heat it with a fan heater and it shrinks to a drum-like surface.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 23, 2017 2:18 am 

I hope to get back to my Emerson 609 project after the holiday hubbub dies down. I did get the second mirror back from recoating -- just after I had delivered the cabinet to my refinishing guy for a refresher. Then he had to undergo arthroscopic surgery, which has put him out of commission for the next three months. I brought the cabinet back home and will reassemble everything, so that I can try to sort out the optical system while he heals up.

Happy holidays,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 3:54 am 

After a long winter's nap, I unpacked my recoated mirror and reinstalled it in the Emerson's canopy. Here's the recoated mirror just after I unpacked it:

I went on to clean the projection screen and noticed that it has two different kinds of texture on its front and rear surfaces. The front has a zillion concentric circular lines (perhaps stamped into the plastic), while the rear has very fine horizontal lines (maybe the result of light sanding with very fine sandpaper or steel wool):

I'm curious how this compares to the screens used in other projection sets. Presumably they all have some sort of matte finish on the front, to reduce room glare, if nothing else. Does anyone understand the purpose of these particular textures?

It is a Big Fat Pain to uninstall and reinstall this screen, otherwise I'd get a cheap piece of translucent plastic and just try it out, to judge how it compared to the original screen.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 5:25 pm 

RCA's screens were just as yours....Philco's viewing screen was simply bright metal with tiny parallel scratches. Steel wool is made in a similar process as those scratches were done. Scott had some plastic on the screen as did GE and US Television. Any which one, the design was for minimizing stray light. Craig

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 11:57 pm 

My RCA is just like that, the circular lines make it a Fresnel lens to concentrate the light, the sanded surface is probably just as you say, to reduce reflections.

I junked a mid 2000's Mitsubishi DLP projection set and it's screen was pretty much exactly the same, except is was a matte finish on the front instead of a sanded look.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 12:01 am 

It may be a good idea to avoid rubbing the screen with anything. Just blot it dry and let it air dry the rest of the way.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 3:30 am 

My screen had a halo of hazy grime around all the edges (tobacco tar, bacon grease - who knows?). I gave it a gentle wash, but nothing aggressive. Now the textures look just like before, only minus the grimy halo.

Speaking of stray light, that reminds me -- this set doesn't use a light hood like some other projection systems. Mine is also missing the back cover. I'll need to fashion a cover if I ever get the TV working well enough to merit the effort.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 11:23 pm 

Phil,
There's a FADA projection set on eBay right now with a remarkable resemblance to your Emerson. You might get an idea for a back cover from the one on that set.

John Michael

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 12:38 am 

Same opticals + RCA 630 chassis or some such. I like the cabinet but the RCA sets performed better, all the while keeping the house warm. Craig

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 2:18 am 

radiodocs wrote:
There's a FADA projection set on eBay right now with a remarkable resemblance to your Emerson. You might get an idea for a back cover from the one on that set.
The back on that one wouldn't be too hard to replicate. Even more interesting -- the FADA has a light hood like I've seen on other projection sets. My Emerson has no indication that there was ever a hood, and the Sams & Riders manuals say nothing about a hood.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next