Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 24, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HOTPOINT 9 INCH PORTABLE
PostPosted: Oct Mon 02, 2017 12:57 pm 

This set takes the 9QP4 Pic tube. Mine was not the birightest so I tried a brightener, which did not work. While removing and re attaching the brightener, one of the tube pins became somewhat loose compared to the others, now I cannot get a raster. Can the pin be better secured with glue, etc, to make a better connection, any suggestions? If I ruined the tube, any idea where there are replacements? Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: HOTPOINT 9 INCH PORTABLE
PostPosted: Oct Mon 02, 2017 4:34 pm 

Does the pin directly leave the glass or does it mount to a bakelite base? If bakelite add some superglue at the bakelite and re-heat the solder connection.
If it comes from the glass and is loose then you probably broke the seal and the tube is not under vacuum/defective.

Some replacement types can be found on the ETF site, Ebay, fellow collectors (post an add in the classifieds), etc. Some types are hard to find quickly...

If that Hotpoint set is that 50's model that has NO HV connection on the side of the CRT and instead runs it through the base then you probably have a bakelite base. The HV lead can come un-soldered and then burn away from HV arcing, if that is happening you will need to remove the base, get a good connection on what is left of the wire to extend it, then thread the base back on and resolder it.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 02, 2017 4:41 pm 

The tube has the black bakelite base and that did not loosen, just that one pin from being bent, I will heat it up first, then super glue it tighter. I wiggles a little, and I think that may have broke the connection or dropped the voltage as a result of being bent.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 02, 2017 6:44 pm 

Don't just reheat the pin, add more solder to the tip of the pin. If that does not fix it, find some light gauge wire. Tin the wire, heat the pin, push the wire into the end of the pin and add more solder.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 02, 2017 6:52 pm 

Should I pull the pin out and then add the solder, etc? It wiggles, but is not ready to fall out, it was bent, then bent back. Somehow that reduced the connectivity I believe.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 02, 2017 9:54 pm 

I had always heard those sets have rather dim pictures. It seems it's the nature of them. They're nice looking '50's TV's though.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 03, 2017 12:08 am 

davidff wrote:
Should I pull the pin out and then add the solder, etc? It wiggles, but is not ready to fall out, it was bent, then bent back. Somehow that reduced the connectivity I believe.

You have to add the solder with the pin in place. When they solder it at the factory they typically only get a little solder into the pin so that the wire coming out of the tube is only lightly soldered to the pin. It does not take much to crack that solder connection and when cracked the wire is no longer connected to the pin.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 03, 2017 1:44 am 

I'm guessing it's the HV anode pin, the high voltage tends to arc and corrode the pin, possibly even causing the wire to break.

Don't try to remove the pin, you'll break the wire for sure, do what Tom suggested and add some solder, of course if the wire is broken at the glass it won't help.

The 9QP4 is a terrible tube, it also has a 4.7 volt heater if I recall correctly and they don't respond well to rejuvenation or brighteners.