Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 24, 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Split picture on 1953 Zenith 19K20
PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2017 6:00 pm 

Hi friends,
Stuck on a 1953 Zenitheater television, chassis 19K20. Successfully changed all capacitors (filter, bypass, coupling), changed all out-of-tolerance resistors, changed the flyback, checked pin voltages on the tubes, used oscilloscope to check wave forms coming out of sync clipper, as well as the horizontal oscillator. The wave forms appear normal and reading the 15,750 cycles per second required for the horizontal frequency lock. I still have a vertical black band that splits the picture in the center of the television, and adjusting the horizontal frequency appears to begin to clear it up, but as the band moves to one side or the other, the lock gives way and I get complete horizontal foldover. I've also changed the CRT (horizontal & vertical deflection) yoke. It sounds like a horizontal sync problem, but I can't find it. I've worked on old TVs for decades, but this one has me stumped. Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

As always, thank you for your time and assistance!!
Diane

Post subject: Re: Split picture on 1953 Zenith 19K20
PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2017 6:22 pm 

I had a similar problem with a Sparton set after replacing the Flyback with a non exact part.
It turned out the winding to phase detector was backwards, reversing the wires to it at the flyback fixed the problem.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2017 7:56 pm 

As Arte Johnson would say, "Verrrrrrrrrrrry Interesting." Definitely worth looking into, Eric. Thanks for the hint!!

PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2017 10:25 pm 

YAHTZEE!!! Thank you, Eric. The answer was NOT the right one, but it DID lead us to the right one. Swapped two wires on the width coil and now we've been watching Lost in Space (via a DVD) on this old TV!

Thank you!
Diane