Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 23, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Flyback Sparton 4940
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 8:34 pm 

Hi
Greetings to the forum. Do anybody on the forum know what type of fly back I can use on a Sparton 4940. There is many thordarson/stancore merit and so on for sale but I have no idea what to look for. If anybody has any list for alternative flyback for this television they could share I would appreciate it :)

Thanks Kristian

Post subject: Re: Flyback Sparton 4940
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 11:21 pm 

If that is that mirror-in-the-lid set, it has a little different setup. That has its horizontal and high voltage independent from each other. Craig

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 3:35 am 

Looking at the Schematic (http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/spar ... -64-11.pdf) it appears to use an rf type High Voltage transformer so there is no regular flyback that will sub. The Sams also lists no replacement part numbers other than Sparton, at least at the time it was published.

If your HV transformer is intact but not making high voltage it may just be arcing internally from deteriorated insulation. I have brought those back by cleaning them and spraying hem with an Epoxy High Dielectric Paint.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 6:20 am 

The Merit replacement guide lists their TV-231 HV Oscillator coil as a replacement for that unit. They show up now and again for sale and are sought after by those wanting to build Tesla coils.

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 8:28 pm 

Thanks
I’m happy to say that my Sparton works well. However, I’m gone keep this television for my lifetime so hawing one in spare would be a nice insurance. I guess I’m a bit nervous about flybacks after my first Zenith porthole restauration. It was the 23G22 chassis where I had two original Zenith flyback failing in short time. It now works better than ever with a RCA flyback and voltage doubler. My sets can be seen on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZmwVa ... ykPkhUzCdg
Thanks for all support on this great forum so far :)

Thanks Kristian

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 3:35 pm 

Seems like this fly is the flybacks i should be looking for

Thordarson HVO-50

Merit TV-231

Meissner 19-3210

Spellman 10-15 KV-1

Miller 4526