Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 21, 2018 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting power to a Sentinel 431CV
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 8:56 pm 

Hi there... my wife and I recently picked up a Sentinel 431CV TV. The guy we bought it from swore to us it worked, but couldn’t find the power cord when we came to pick it up. We only paid about $20 for it and it was in pretty good condition, so I figured maybe I’ll take the tube out and put an LCD in there. But the more I look at it I really want to see if I can get it working. So... first step is to see if it powers on... and for that I need a power cord. The back of the set says it’s regular 120v and 200w. But the only place that would look like a power cord receiver is a small rectangular slot with what looks like a positive and negative connector. Anyone know where I might be able to pick one up?

Also, dumb question... but it has a connector for an external antenna.... will that take one of the old converter boxes we would use to connect a DVD player to a TV without RCA jacks?

Thanks in advance!

Warwick

Post subject: Re: Getting power to a Sentinel 431CV
PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 5:09 pm 

warwickprice wrote:
Hi there... my wife and I recently picked up a Sentinel 431CV TV. The guy we bought it from swore to us it worked, but couldn’t find the power cord when we came to pick it up. We only paid about $20 for it and it was in pretty good condition, so I figured maybe I’ll take the tube out and put an LCD in there. But the more I look at it I really want to see if I can get it working. So... first step is to see if it powers on... and for that I need a power cord. The back of the set says it’s regular 120v and 200w. But the only place that would look like a power cord receiver is a small rectangular slot with what looks like a positive and negative connector. Anyone know where I might be able to pick one up?

Also, dumb question... but it has a connector for an external antenna.... will that take one of the old converter boxes we would use to connect a DVD player to a TV without RCA jacks?

Thanks in advance!

Warwick

Welcome to the forum Warwick. Nice price on the TV.
If you read any of the other threads where someone picks up a piece of electronic gear that old you will see that "seeing if it powers up" isn't the right place to start. Anything older than about 40 years old should have the electrolytic capacitors replaced first, if you don't then you may damage parts that are more expensive and hard to get. You might want to seek out someone near you that has dealt with doing this type of work. Of course there are also many people on this forum that can guide you through the process if you want. I don't know how much I've heard people say that " the guy I got it from swore it worked" but it's very often and it doesn't mean much. Maybe it worked 40 years ago before they put it in the basement, attic, barn, etc.
The cord connector is probably an 'interlock' type and more than likely was attached to a back cover.
What you would probably need for the antenna connection is called a RF Modulator. You will also need a Balun to convert the 75 ohm circular connector of the modulator to the two terminal 300 ohm antenna connection.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 2:10 am 

If you want someone with experience on repairing it, state your location. That's a cool set. Craig

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 3:56 am 

I did some searching around the web. That set isn't seen very often. Unless you have some experience with restoring vintage TV I don't recommend you start with this one. Turns out that the exact service data is not available. Bob Anderson is very experienced.
I don't know how easy it would be to find a small screen LCD TV to fit if you went that way (which I would say would be a shame). I definitely wouldn't throw it out, if the picture tube is even half good, for the right person, it would be worth several times what you paid for the set.
There is another forum, Video Karma, that specializes more in TVs. Some pictures only show if you are a member. Your ID and password might work there, I think mine did.
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.ph ... c&t=247075