Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 13, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: rca ctc 16 sound but no picture
PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 7:56 am 

i am thinking of getting a rca ctc 16 tv that is sort of working. i went to the place where it is being sold and i turned it on. it took a while to turn on but sound came through but no picture. Is it a good sigh if there is audio?

Attachments:
File comment: rca ctc 16
00z0z_9pTlloyqYY6_600x450.jpg
00z0z_9pTlloyqYY6_600x450.jpg [ 18.33 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Post subject: Re: rca ctc 16 sound but no picture
PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 9:30 am 

It's got a bad case of cataract disease but that's fixable. You should probably try to find/borrow a CRT tester - a bad CRT could be a problem, they are no longer available. Unless someone on this forum has one spare.

You really should not turn it on without a thorough check-out, you may damage something that's made of unobtainium.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 3:49 am 

Have you ever restored a radio or TV before? A "roundie" color TV is one of the more difficult projects that you could choose.

Cataracts are repairable, but that must be done with care, to avoid breaking the picture tube and causing a potentially dangerous implosion.

I'd definitely test the CRT before buying it. If the picture tube is a dud (has nothing to do with its cataract), then a replacement CRT might cost $200 or even more.

I have restored three CTC-11s, a slightly older model. Each of them made a picture of sorts when I found it, but I still replaced some capacitors and did other work to make them safe & reliable to play. Here's an article about one of them, where I did less restoration than with other two.

https://antiqueradio.org/RCACTC-11CColorTelevision.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:03 am 

If it was on more than a few seconds with a problem like that, serious additional damage could have occurred during that time. I agree that the CRT needs to be tested before deciding to purchase. If it's bad, or substantially weak, I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you already know of a source for a good replacement CRT.

That was one of RCA's workhorse chassis, one that was copied by the independents and built for years. However, they have their share of problems and we were doing complete rebuilds on them in the shop when they were only 10 years or less old. I'd expect it to need all the electrolytics replaced, a bunch of tubes, and if the flyback hasn't been upgraded to the later type with silicone insulation, that will need replacing too.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 10:19 pm 

Personally, I'm not sure that the seller would even permit you to take the back off the set so as to test the CRT. In absence of that, you may as well assume that the CRT is history in my opinion.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 11:57 pm 

Well, a lot depends on how much he wants for it and how much you like it. If his price is low enough you could just get it and and find out later if it is worth restoring.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:45 am 

Well it is a very attractive cabinet. I could enjoy just looking at that while it's unanimated. After a few years of collecting who will have the time to watch several dozen TV's? :shock:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:01 am 

sound but no picture. check your horizontal section high voltage section and picture tube. the problem will be located there. test the crt if bad that is the problem. if good check all tubes in the high voltage section and horizontal section and all associated components. dont run the set for long till you get high voltage back.

yes it is good that the audio is working. when turning the tuner to different stations if you can hear a sound in the speaker that means the entire sound chain is working. this would be the rf if and audio section. if you hooked up a converter box and got the actual sound from the program you can judge how well the sound is working. the more that is working the better it is. of course assuming the availability of parts anything can be fixed.