Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sat 25, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Actual screw size info for flat Japanese volume controls ???
PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:39 am 

Does anyone know the actual screw size/threading for the common, flat Japanese volume controls used in the early '60's (if any different than later units) ??? Very tiny screw and probably metric...

The first couple threads are damaged in my Motorola X19 volume control shaft and need this info so I can see if a tap is available...

Any other ideas on how to "fix" these threads without putting excess force on control itself ???

Thanks much !
John

Attachments:
arf x15 vc.jpg
arf x15 vc.jpg [ 63.15 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Post subject: Re: Actual screw size info for flat Japanese volume controls
PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 2:14 am 

Almost deleted post after finding the screw size in the Motorola factory service manual, but thought that the info might help others...

For the X19 transistor radio volume control knob, a 1-72 x 5/32" screw is specified. Since it's not metric, maybe this isn't the standard size used in other Japanese made controls ???

John

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 4:01 pm 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Almost deleted post after finding the screw size in the Motorola factory service manual, but thought that the info might help others...

For the X19 transistor radio volume control knob, a 1-72 x 5/32" screw is specified. Since it's not metric, maybe this isn't the standard size used in other Japanese made controls ???

John

I found over the years that some Japanese machine tools use BSP (British Standard Pipe) hydraulic and pneumatic fittings, not metric, so maybe controls on old radios were non-metric also.

Colin

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 4:43 pm 

My experience is with the Polyvaricon caps that are the same vintage as the early Japanese radios. These are 2mm metric and I bought some screws from China on Ebay.

http://www.mzentertainment.com/technica ... acitor.gif

Rich

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 12:43 am 

Thanks Guys...

We didn't have any 1-72 screws at work, so tried a 0-80 and it threaded in fine but is very slightly loose... Am going to see if I can get a 1-72 from one of our vendors...

Am wondering if Motorola had this control specially made for them using "American" hardware since the "regular" screws for the Japanese controls won't fit---and I tried several...

John

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 10:44 pm 

What a surprise !

Ace Hardware actually had the 1-72 screws in their stock---20 cents and away we go !

Never thought they'd stock that tiny "oddball stuff"---should have checked there first...

John