Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 20, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Panasonic RF-880 Radar-Matic project---what a radio !
PostPosted: May Sun 06, 2018 7:02 pm 

Hello All,

This is one of two radios I bought at the IHRS meet in Kokomo, IN Friday---first time I'd ever bought anything at a gathering... The price was very high, but it was so clean that I kept looking at it. It did have some scratches on the front, though... The seller finally told me to just make an offer since there wasn't any other interest, so I did and he accepted. Found out when I got on-line later that my offer was still around twice what a couple had sold for on Ebay recently and that two of the emblems were missing---arrrghhh... It appears to work with scratchy/noisy controls and somewhat distorted audio, so will need attention. My neighbor had bought one off of Ebay when he was still alive several years ago and remember how impressed I was with it, but at that time they were selling for more than what I wanted to pay... Believe this is the "top-of-line" Panasonic Radar-Matic portable set of the time having bi-directional, electric tuning---no winding this large & heavy set ! It was also designed to be used in a vehicle with a separate under-dash docking unit...

Below is a quick pic taken after returning home Friday...

Believe that a couple other people here have these---would appreciate a performance and audio quality "report" ! Also hope to find the two missing "emblems"---the small square one on top and the round from front---anyone have a junker ???

John

Attachments:
ARF RF-880 BEFORE.jpg
ARF RF-880 BEFORE.jpg [ 196.65 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-880 Radar-Matic project---what a radio !
PostPosted: May Wed 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

That’s a good looking radio. I never owned an auto tuning radio. When I used to attend the MARC events, a seller had one (I don’t remember the make and model) that appeared on his table at every event, but he wouldn’t budge on price and I was stubborn, so never did buy it! Wasn’t a lot of money either, I was just being cheap.

PostPosted: May Fri 11, 2018 7:01 pm 

Hey Colin---I almost wished this seller hadn't come down now since those emblems are missing ! But it is a neat radio...

No time to do much with it yet...

John

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 12:43 pm 

I had one of those for a while. Neat set. The one thing I noticed was that there was considerable play in the manual tuning part of it. I.e., it took a half a turn of the knob or so in either direction for the pointer to move. I was told by the seller that it was normal. Don't know if that's true, but the auto tune worked great so it didn't matter. I sold mine a couple years back (i'm in a purge phase). I also had a table top Panasonic stereo radio that had the auto-tuning and it too had a fair amount of play in the manual tuning dial. Sold that too. Still have one small wind up Radar Matic. Guess I'll keep that one.

PostPosted: May Fri 18, 2018 3:18 am 

Hey John---The "slop" in manual tuning IS normal (but annoying)---my neighbor also has one that her late husband bought a few years back. And another ARF member has one that he did a YouTube presentation of... Which "wind-up" model do you have ?

Pulled the back cover off of mine and was grateful that the ferrite antenna rod was still intact, but still need to find why the AM performance is so so-so...

Time still tight here with family issues and great outdoor weather, so will probably be awhile before this one ever gets completed... Did give it a preliminary "wipe-down" with damp cloth tonight while sitting outside on deck...

John