Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 23, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Needed
PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:07 pm 

I have a Westinghouse model H-914P8GPC that I have used daily for years. It's been my "shaving radio" and source of news on WBZ Boston. It is a shirt pocket sized 8 transistor model and was a good performer. Up until last Tuesday that is.
It has lost nearly all its great sensitivity but remains loud and clear on just one nearby AM station. It has not been dropped. I have its twin, not tested as it has a bad battery clip and broken switch (does not shut off) that set could be a source of a needed part if a hard to get part should be needed.
A stroke in 2006 has left me unable to do my own work. (I was decades in the TV business.) I'm "living" on a meager SS income so I can't spend a lot, but certainly can cover parts and postage.
If you can help please let me know.
My email is: radiodoc@metrocast.net

Post subject: Re: Help Needed
PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 11:57 pm 

Either the oscillator stopped working, or more likely an antenna lead got D/C from the tuner or board.

Test the oscillator function by placing the working set next to it, turned on and tuned to 1000 Kilocycles, and rotate the tuner to see if you can get a squeal from the working set, 455 Kc above or below.

If so, and if you are able, take the radio out of it's case and inspect the three or four wires coming off the antenna Ferrite coil.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 12:37 am 

Hi Mal, I'll try to help. Email sent!
-Ed

PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 12:40 am 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Hi Mal, I'll try to help. Email sent!
-Ed

Thanks Ed. No email's come as yet, I'll keep looking.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 12:43 am 

Thank you for your reply, fifties. The oscillator is working, the local station is 1420 and that's where it may be tuned on the dial. It's just that the previously good sensitivity is now very poor.
Between my limited eyesight and impaired motor skills, taking the pc board out of the cabinet is not something I can do anymore. I was hoping to find someone to repair this radio for me.
Broken wires are not likely, as the problem arose during completely normal use.

Last edited by Mal Fuller on Jun Tue 21, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 12:54 am 

Your email came Ed and my reply has gone out. I'm grateful for your help.

Mal

PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2011 10:15 pm 

Mal Fuller wrote:
Thank you for your reply, fifties. The oscillator is working, the local station is 1420 and that's where it may be tuned on the dial. It's just that the previously good sensitivity is now very poor.
Between my limited eyesight and impaired motor skills, taking the pc board out of the cabinet is not something I can't do anymore. I was hoping to find someone to repair this radio for me.
Broken wires are not likely, as the problem arose during completely normal use.

Mal Fuller wrote:
It has lost nearly all its great sensitivity but remains loud and clear on just one nearby AM station.

This is a symptom of either the oscillator not working, or a disconnection of an antenna lead. The leads soldered on PC board pads can occasionally become D/C over time.

I would be interested in seeing Ed in SoDak post his findings in this thread, if he is going to fix it for you.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:03 am 

They are on their way to me. I actually hope to get the second set going first as I think it may be easier, but I'm going to try to repair both. Having two for comparison readings should help a lot. Maybe we can make a step-by-step thread about it as someone on here has asked for.

For all I know, it might turn out to be a How-Not-To instead of a How-To thread, but others can chime in and it may be educational for everyone including me. I'm no graduate tech, but I once watched Emmett Clark from Mayberry fix a radio on TV. :P

-Ed

PostPosted: Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:18 am 

It's a long way from the woods of New Hampshire to South Dakota. At noon today, I sent the two little radios by parcel post (the cheapest way) so it will be interesting to see how long they take to reach Ed.
Perhaps we can call the report Ed's Thread :!:

PostPosted: Jun Tue 21, 2011 2:29 am 

Will be watching... Hope all goes well.

John

PostPosted: Jun Tue 21, 2011 9:27 am 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
I once watched Emmett Clark from Mayberry fix a radio on TV. :P

Well there it is right there...What more could one ask for? :D

PostPosted: Jun Tue 21, 2011 11:31 pm 

Here's a shot of Ed's future project.
It was, until lately, a great performing little radio.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 1:39 am 

Hi Mal and the group,

I received the radios today and had a brief inspection. They are the GP and GPC models made in different plants, so there are differences between them.

The working set seems fine on the upper end but quiet below that. Works great picking up my SStrans at 1530, but it's only 10 feet away. However, it can tune out interference from my computer monitor, which many other radios have a problem with.

The non-working set has a resistor laid on top of one of the transformers. This seems to have been shorted or had a battery reaction, as the resistor is damaged and I can see bare wires from the transformer at the contact point. That will be my first point of attack in repairing that set once I install a new battery connector.

-Ed

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 2:53 am 

Pretty good mail service (5-days) for parcel post. The working radio lost about 75-80% of it's former sensitivity over night. Perhaps that's the underlying reason it is less bothered by your computer than other sets! I've never heard the "parts radio" work. Thank you for your efforts.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 3:17 am 

Hi all,

I have some NOS transistor radio volume pots/switches if needed.
Here's a pic:

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 4:02 am 

Location: Dallas, TX - in the city but with bobcats and coyotes
Oh, joy! :D
I am almost overjoyed to see a transistor radio how-to thread. And watching Emmit Clark fix a radio got me interested in radio repair. However, watching James (a.k.a. Ivan) "Kinch" Kinchloe assemble the world's only fully functioning "Gonkulator" propelled me straight into the world of instrumentation R&D!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 5:36 am 

Ed---do you see any evidence of something getting into radio to cause that damage ? Are the transformers interchangeable between the two sets if that one has damaged winding(s) ?

Mitch---do need a volume ctl./switch for my Sony TR-84... Original had shaft like a couple of yours do---what are actual physical measurements & resistances of ones you have ? Thanks...

John

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 2:55 pm 

My intention was to help Mal with repairing his old radio, not to advertise my parts.
However, I will extend the same offer to John or anyone else who might need these.
(Don't want to start off on the wrong foot with anyone, especially the mods.)

This has a 4mm diameter shaft, about 5/8th in height, with an overall length of one inch.
Markings stamped on side of pot are: 10KΩCW10% JAPAN 868B933-1

No charge... just cover the postage,
~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 3:03 pm 

And thank you Mitch for your offer of help. Ed's in the driver's seat, so we'll see his response.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2011 9:28 pm 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Hi Mal and the group,

I received the radios today and had a brief inspection. They are the GP and GPC models made in different plants, so there are differences between them.

As for the model numbers, the one set's model number is:
H-914P8GPC and the other one is:
H-914P8GP-Black

One's charcoal and the other black. The radios should be essentially the same but for the color.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 146 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next