Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 27, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about later GE model numbers & date codes
PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 5:37 am 

GE model numbers from the '60's started with a "P" prefix for portable radios, a "C" prefix for clock radios, and a "T" prefix for table radios. I think this model number system may have continued into the '70's; but, how far into the '70's was this model system used before they switched to the 7-xxxx model number system?

Also, later GE radios had a strange four digit date code. Does anyone know how to read these date codes?

Post subject: Re: Question about later GE model numbers & date codes
PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 1:58 pm 

radiotvnut,
i have some of those with the 4 digit date code too and haven't been able to find any info on how to read them.would be nice to know so i could update my collection database with the year of manufacture on those.hope somebody here knows the answer.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 20, 2011 1:36 am 

Post several examples of what the date codes look like.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 20, 2011 10:53 pm 

date code:3732 w/factory code: L-4
date code:2143K

PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2011 1:40 am 

I have a GE "Superadio I". Model 7-2880B. Could not find a serial number. It has date code: 4206. Nan anyone translate the date code?
BOB

PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2011 2:08 am 

GE dates codes from the 1970s - 90s have been discused this site and others, but it's frustrating that they seem to be impossible to locate now ? The question has been asked several times on antiqueradios.com in the past with no answers. !

I myself have several SuperRadio's along with other GE's I'd like to pin the exact date on from the four diget code.

Will a GE expert please step forward ~

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2011 11:07 pm 

The down and dirty is the 2nd digit in the "mystery code" is the last digit of the year.

This date backs to at least the early 1960s. I believe this number includes a plant code, shift code, etc. among other things.

As stated before, GE originally used just a numeric model number. Soon the writing was on the wall as they were so prolific with manufacturing consumer electronics, they needed a way to keep the numbers at bay.

Around the 1957 model year, GE went away from "XXX" model numbers and went with the model prefix. C-XXX indicates clock radio, T-XXX indicates table radio, P-XXX indicates portable radio, etc.

After the three digit specific model was a letter suffix on most. "A" signified the first design run. Every time a change took place (whether it would be major, like a cabinet redesign, or minor like a volume control pot part #,), the letter suffix changed to the next letter. For example the low-cost C-403A clock radio was the first design run, its basic design spanned nearly a decade with chassis redesigns, cabinet redesigns, with the last model being C-430H.

Now back to the original question. Even going back to some early 1960s GE radios, you can find an ink stamped 4 digit code on the tube label. Again the 2nd digit represents the year of build. I did find on at least one late 60's clock radio, the code appeared to be actual date code with the first two digits signifying the actual year (67=1967) and the second two signifying the week of the year (just like a capacitor date code). However, this seems to be the exception to the rule. Now let's say the 2nd digit of the "mystery code" is a 2, this can be tricky...1962? 1972? 1982? This is where you have to get educated and look at what you are looking at. Is this a walnut grained styrene radio--probably not 1962! Digital tuning radio--probably not 1972!

Around the early 1970s GE started using the 7-XXXX model arrangement. The 7 signifying consumer electronics radio equipment (or something to that effect). I've seen some early examples of this where on GE boxes shows BOTH style of model numbers as to ease into the transtion. So in other words you'd see 7-XXXXA and then printed below would be (C-XXXX).

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2012 1:38 am 

I hate to be one of those guys (I am new to clocks) but I still do not get it. I have a General Electric PROGRAMMABLE Clock Radio. The Date Code is 5109. The Serial Number is 072351. The Model Number is 7-4870A. From the earlier post I believe the "A" means this is a first generation clock for this model? I came across this by accident but am new interested in similar MCM clocks...any help would be appreciated...ESPECIALLY if you have a Panasonic RC-6030 you do not want anymore :-)

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2012 6:42 pm 

ZRDaugharty wrote:
I hate to be one of those guys (I am new to clocks) but I still do not get it. I have a General Electric PROGRAMMABLE Clock Radio. The Date Code is 5109. The Serial Number is 072351. The Model Number is 7-4870A. From the earlier post I believe the "A" means this is a first generation clock for this model? I came across this by accident but am new interested in similar MCM clocks...any help would be appreciated...ESPECIALLY if you have a Panasonic RC-6030 you do not want anymore :-)

Probably a 1981 model, given the second digit of the date code is 1. It could actually be a '71, '81, or '91 model; but, the description sounds like something from '81.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2012 1:13 am 

radiotvnut wrote:

Probably a 1981 model, given the second digit of the date code is 1. It could actually be a '71, '81, or '91 model; but, the description sounds like something from '81.

I'd agree seeing how it is in Sam's Photofact #2027 from 1981.