Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirty, somewhat rough Ross Magnifique RE-1801 project...
PostPosted: Apr Sat 01, 2017 8:57 pm 

Hello All,

After seeing the recent thread on a good looking one of these, was "primed" to keep the eyes open---amazing that a somewhat rough & dirty one appeared on Ebay soon after (were they watching ARF ?), but really didn't want to bid considering condition. Evidently there was no interest, so it came up as a $9.99 "Buy It Now" early last week and just couldn't resist---even with a "chunk" out of lower left rear corner plastic !

It arrived today and the long ferrite antenna rod didn't survive shipping (it was fine in seller's pic)---broken in two... Large, unusual, very heavy and well built radio ! Battery compartment and inside very clean considering how dirty it was externally. Applied power and nothing but scratching sound when turned on---not even any noise when switching bands. Current draw only 12 mA, so at least no shorts. Probably electrolytics and this radio has a BUNCH of 'em ! Chrome more pitted than I thought under the dirt...

Weather too good for much more now and have outside work to do, so stay tuned !

Ebay & broken antenna pic below...

John

Attachments:
ross1 ebay.jpg
ross1 ebay.jpg [ 218.66 KiB | Viewed 3158 times ]
ROSS RCVD BRKN INTERNAL ANTENNA ROD.jpg
ROSS RCVD BRKN INTERNAL ANTENNA ROD.jpg [ 215.38 KiB | Viewed 3158 times ]

Post subject: Re: Dirty, somewhat rough Ross Magnifique RE-1801 project...
PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 12:10 am 

I saw that too but I still have many unfinished projects.
If anyone can bring the sparkle back on that set, I know you will.
Too bad about the ferrite rod, bring out the crazy glue.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 3:41 am 

Thanks Rocco---you know I'll sure try ! Really like the solid, heavy construction of this set.

Just had to spend a few more minutes with it tonight to see if I could find anything more serious that might be wrong---installed batteries and turned on again and noticed that this time you could hear slight "pops" when bandswitch moved ! Out of curiousity, tried tuning on FM band and heard a station weakly---in a few minutes it became louder and more signals were received. Switched to AM and now was able to pick up a few there with performance increasing as time passed---and SW now worked too ! Guess some of those old electrolytics were trying to come back to life after several minutes of "electron movement therapy" ! Performance now pretty good, though audio still not quite right... At least there's hope !

John

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 4:12 am 

Here are a few more of the Ebay pics just to give a "before" perspective... The missin' chunk will probably continue to be missing...

John

Attachments:
arf ross top ebay.jpg
arf ross top ebay.jpg [ 133.07 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]
arf ross side ebay.jpg
arf ross side ebay.jpg [ 112.1 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]
arf ross lft side ebay.jpg
arf ross lft side ebay.jpg [ 99.03 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]
arf ross bk ebay.jpg
arf ross bk ebay.jpg [ 176.92 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]
arf missin chunk ross ebay.jpg
arf missin chunk ross ebay.jpg [ 81.93 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 1:27 pm 

Looks like a pretty rugged radio. Is there an antenna in the handle?

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 4:13 pm 

Very rugged & heavy---except for plastic case !

No rod in handle, but does have dual telescopic antennae which are in great, straight condition... They even have black plastic "grip-able" tips with brass threaded inserts !

Found that volume control switch is bad and control goes around past "off" point after a very soft "click"---probably due to stress of much use with the large thumbwheel on small control ?

Gotta get those electrolytics replaced---even with old caps (after "reform warm-up"), when strong station tuned in the volume will almost knock you out of chair !

Rubbed some of residue off of chrome with fingernail, so hopefully will polish fairly well though there is some tiny pitting...

A really neat radio---sure hope it performs as well as it once looked once recapped !!!

John

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 7:31 pm 

nice to see that I can inspire people to buy a radio :)

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 8:30 pm 

Rojosuiza, you certainly did---glad you posted ! And my ferrite antenna rod broke during shipment in sympathy to yours...

Had a scary experience today when going over to neighbor's place for a glass of water to compare with mine (long story). She and her late husband (older couple) always liked to see the radios I'd take over to show them, so thought she'd like seeing this one. Since it had started to work somewhat, installed new batteries and took it with me. When I tried to show her, it would do nothing again but "scratch" a bit when turned on... While standing and holding bottom of radio while talking, felt it getting warm ! Quickly pulled the back cover off and it started smelling of hot plastic and you could see the batteries swelling and beginning to melt the battery tube ! Removed the tube as fast as possible which was difficult since it was soft from the heat, went out the door and tried to dump the batteries on concrete porch. They wouldn't slide out and melting tube was bending, so carefully straightened so it wouldn't be ruined and gently laid it on cool concrete---had to be fast as the batteries were way too hot to handle ! After several minutes, the swelling went down and was able to slide them out onto outdoor glass table at home---still too hot to hold, though ! Thankfully they didn't explode or leak and the tube is still usable with a few "stretch" marks where it had started to melt through...

Took resistance measurement when turned on---around 40 ohms. Rotated control since switch bad to see if perhaps a piece of switch contact was shorting to ground---didn't see any indication on meter. Hmmm... Applied power with ammeter inline---normal for awhile, slight pop, then around 120 mA. Didn't want to ruin any more batteries, so stopped at that point... Hope just a shorted electrolytic cap since radio did work for awhile previously !

John

PostPosted: Apr Mon 03, 2017 3:39 am 

Scary indeed. I'm glad no serious damage was done. It's a good looking radio.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 03, 2017 10:24 am 

my god!

Mine is behaving impeccably

After my shift I came home and started thinking finally. I think that I know the reason for all this. It happend to me with another radio, and the concerned part is quite the same

Go to this adres

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacosonic_eight.html

This is my alter ego. The text is in German, but if you look at the plus end of your batterie and at the plus-terminal you will understand...

Post subject: battery-shortcircuit
PostPosted: Apr Mon 03, 2017 9:09 pm 

Sorry!

You must flaten the edges as shown in the picture, otherwise they shortcircuit with NEW batteries. In the old ones only the Plus-head was conductive, nowadays the entire top is conductive.

Attachments:
Batteriehalter.JPG
Batteriehalter.JPG [ 84.17 KiB | Viewed 3015 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 04, 2017 2:47 am 

Thanks for the info, Rojosuiza---I'd actually checked that when batteries were installed and there was enough of a gap to prevent shorting. Appreciate you making mention of it, though !

Pulled the chassis tonight and found several interesting things, but not enough time left tonight to elaborate. Installed threaded standoffs in chassis mounting holes for support as done with other "framed" chassis---helps prevent component damage while servicing...

Stay tuned !

John

PostPosted: Apr Tue 04, 2017 3:59 am 

Hi John.

Has someone been in there before you and modified the telescopic antenna support bracket? maybe it's just different! Spooky battery experience.
Lately with broken ferrite antennas, I dry clamp them together with moderate pressure and inject super glue with a syringe (capillary action).

Might try J-B weld or J-B kwik next time, too many years working with industrial adhesives!

Greg.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 05, 2017 2:55 am 

Hey Greg,

Didn't even notice that support bracket difference---thanks much for posting about it !

Have the chassis pulled and bracket looks factory---perhaps this is a later model and they'd cut costs ???

Sure hope to get it recapped this week...

Superglue gel works perfectly on clean ferrite rod breaks---have got a lot of experience this past year or so !

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 07, 2017 2:34 am 

The ferrite antenna rod glued fine with Superglue Gel. The right side clamp had broken and section was missing, so used Loctite Go-2 Gel to attach rod to remaining piece.

But big disappointment tonight...

After spending around 3.5 hours replacing the sixteen electrolytic caps which involved moving and desoldering some wiring and a couple components, very little improvement was noticed... Am glad I had the foresight to take a pic of PCB bottom before starting !

Did discover that the odd "shorting" was in the volume control, though, as I'd thought earlier---it is an unusual design that I've never seen before where the switch contacts are actually within the volume control "disk" which is the same size as the typical Japanese controls. Have to remove and examine it to see it it can be disassembled... When the shaft is rotated to a certain spot and wiggled, current jumps way up, so imagine a switch contact is shorting to the ground end of resistive element...

Looks like this one is going to take some time, too...

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 07, 2017 7:51 am 

Good luck with dismantling this...

PostPosted: Apr Sat 08, 2017 4:59 am 

You're right---no easy way to disassemble that control !

Checked radio again today and found that FM was fine but AM/SW still very weak--- could receive my favorite low-power DX oldies station, but could barely hear at max volume. Thought it could be an AM IFT issue, so followed that route... All the IF transformers were wax-sealed and it was a fairly stiff type, so removed by very gently pressing soldering iron tip against small piece of cotton t-shirt rag within hole---worked perfectly as the heat melted wax and it absorbed into the cloth. Repeated this process around inside edge using fresh area of material when it became saturated until opening clear.

This radio has five AM IF transformers with two pairs configured as primary/secondary. All but A3/L13 (SAMS designations) peaked and were pretty much right on as they were. The signal level increased slightly as A3/L13 adjusted downward, but bottomed out before peaking. Sounding like an internal cap issue, so jumped a variable across appropriate pins and signal level increased significantly. After recently correcting same problem on a couple other sets by simply applying soldering heat to pins for prolonged time, tried that method here---held iron on connection for a few seconds until flux was sizzling, then let cool. Applied power and radio now worked much better---readjusted core and thankfully, my favorite station boomed in loudly !!! This set is now an excellent performer---very sensitive & selective for not having an RF-amp stage (AM)... And has plenty of usable audio---wonder if one of the paralleled transistors in the P-P audio output is a "dud" ? Have never seen that done and this is a set from the "transistor wars" era...

All mica insulators on the separate trimmers "pad" had curled up for some reason and the one for the antenna trimmer worked its way out during "tweaking" causing the adjustment to short. Turned screw so it was fully open, then temporarly soldered an external compression trimmer across connections which worked fine.

Found a 30 pf disc cap across secondary of FM RF input transformer that one lead had not been soldered from factory, but made no noticeable difference when fixed...

Disconnected wiring from switch section of volume control and intermittent short mentioned previously went away... Also, the molded "bump" on plastic rotor within volume control that lifted the switching contact had worn down not allowing switch to turn off---couldn't find a way to disassemble or repair, so temporarily tied switch wires together until a solution can be devised...

Got all cosmetics completely disassembled and cleaned today---a LOT of polishing to do tomorrow, but still looks much better !

There were a couple very noticeable glue "smears" on case plastic, so tried wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper as I'd done previously on another set's clear tuning display window which turned out really well after polishing. The one on top surface came off great, but glue had penetrated more deeply on lower edge of right side and left a depression...

Stay tuned !

John

PostPosted: Apr Sat 08, 2017 10:14 pm 

Oh man, the way you describe that vol. control it sounds a lot like the one I had to replace in the RCA Victor Super Fringe, do you remember my thread? it has the same chassis as the CM 6515
The pot was fine but the switch rotor part was broken.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=289903

does it look like this one?
it has 2 brass threaded mounting studs on the back.
Do you by chance have a junk 6515 chassis for parts?

Attachments:
RCA PA-1 V-C (Custom).jpg
RCA PA-1 V-C (Custom).jpg [ 49.54 KiB | Viewed 2820 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sun 09, 2017 5:32 am 

Hey Rocco, that's it !!! Just have one, good 6515---but sure don't remember that style of volume control. Just pulled up project pics and sure enough, it's the same ! But since the volume control portion on Ross is fine, am thinking of a mechanically activated external switch... May put it back together with separate switch, though, until I can come up with a design which uses items on hand...

Spent around 5 hours earlier today just polishing the plastic & chrome---but worth the time as it sure looks MUCH better !

Had another intermittent loss of signal strength when PCB tapped, but it came back when tapped again ! So this morning ran the chassis on power supply while polishing and it went low once more after a couple hours. Went right to the IFT's, but they all peaked fine this time, even though you could barely hear the weaker signals... Pulled the signal tracer off the shelf and using the RF probe, followed signal through to detector---all fine ! Changed to audio probe and good clear output from detector, but very weak at audio amp input. Traced it through to the "Pick-up" input jack switch contacts and discovered they were at fault ! Since the radio isn't a "showpiece", removed the external audio input & earphone jacks' wiring harness which will be saved intact in the event a future owner wants to return radio to originality. Installed new wiring for speaker and jumper from bandswitch to audio input...

Also cleaned chassis a bit more and tightly pinched the positive battery contact insulator retaining tabs with Vice-grips as a precaution against possible future shorting.

Still need to determine power switch and AM ANT trimmer solutions---the compression trimmer now being used won't fit beneath cover...

Hopefully get parts pics taken tomorrow and cabinet reassembled...

John

PostPosted: Apr Mon 10, 2017 3:05 am 

Basically completed today except for switch issue which will take some thought & "engineering"---the trimmer problem is just a matter of getting a smaller part and mounting... Will post again once resolved...

Turned out much better appearance-wise than anticipated---thankfully... Bandswitch even noise-free as is !

Note the tuning mechanism detail---very good & precise action though it could have had a bit more reduction with the sharp selectivity... The knobs are very well made with the heavy brass collars around shaft and set-screws and recessed 1/8" thick felt disk... Even the antenna tips are "special" with threaded brass inserts !

An excellent, neat-looking radio---very glad that Rojosuiza posted about his and this one appeared on Ebay shortly after !

Project pics in the next two posts...

John

Attachments:
1 ARF ROSS HARDWARE.jpg
1 ARF ROSS HARDWARE.jpg [ 210.32 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
2 ARF ROSS CASE PRTS CLN-POLISHED INS.JPG
2 ARF ROSS CASE PRTS CLN-POLISHED INS.JPG [ 185.01 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
3 ARF ROSS CASE PRTS CLN-POLISHED OUT.jpg
3 ARF ROSS CASE PRTS CLN-POLISHED OUT.jpg [ 176.68 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
4 ARF ROSS CASE GRILLE CLN-POLISHED INS.jpg
4 ARF ROSS CASE GRILLE CLN-POLISHED INS.jpg [ 197.55 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
5 ARF ROSS CASE GRILLE CLN-POLISHED OUT.jpg
5 ARF ROSS CASE GRILLE CLN-POLISHED OUT.jpg [ 167.5 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
6 ARF ROSS CASE GOIN TGTHR CLN-POLISHED OUT.jpg
6 ARF ROSS CASE GOIN TGTHR CLN-POLISHED OUT.jpg [ 228.01 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
7 ARF ROSS KNOB DETAIL.jpg
7 ARF ROSS KNOB DETAIL.jpg [ 159.11 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
8 ARF ROSS TUNING MECH DETAIL.jpg
8 ARF ROSS TUNING MECH DETAIL.jpg [ 182 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]
9 ARF ROSS OLD CAPS EP-INPUT JACK WIRING.jpg
9 ARF ROSS OLD CAPS EP-INPUT JACK WIRING.jpg [ 201.42 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next