Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 21, 2018 5:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dirty, somewhat rough Ross Magnifique RE-1801 project...
PostPosted: Apr Mon 10, 2017 3:10 am 

Here are the remainder of project pics---please see previous post for first group...

Note pic with the AM-only Magnifique which was based on a very common chassis with a tuned-RF stage which was used in a BUNCH of other branded sets...

Always good when extra effort proves worthwhile...

John

Attachments:
10 ARF ROSS CHS ALMOST DONE TOP.jpg
10 ARF ROSS CHS ALMOST DONE TOP.jpg [ 181.67 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
11 ARF ROSS CHS ALMOST DONE BOT.jpg
11 ARF ROSS CHS ALMOST DONE BOT.jpg [ 208.92 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
12 ARF ROSS CHS INSTLD.jpg
12 ARF ROSS CHS INSTLD.jpg [ 213.02 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
13 ARF MAGNIFIQUE SR JR.jpg
13 ARF MAGNIFIQUE SR JR.jpg [ 159.26 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
14 ARF ROSS TOGTHR BK LFT.jpg
14 ARF ROSS TOGTHR BK LFT.jpg [ 189.01 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
15 ARF ROSS TOGTHR BK RT.jpg
15 ARF ROSS TOGTHR BK RT.jpg [ 176.93 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
16 ARF ROSS TOGTHR FRT LFT.jpg
16 ARF ROSS TOGTHR FRT LFT.jpg [ 237.96 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]
17 ARF ROSS TOGTHR FRT RT.jpg
17 ARF ROSS TOGTHR FRT RT.jpg [ 240.82 KiB | Viewed 1654 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Mon 10, 2017 4:54 am 

That is a sharp looking radio. Nice job! I have one of the AM-only sets, which I bought after seeing your thread a couple of years ago. Not a bad radio.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 10, 2017 7:52 am 

My God!

You ARE THOROUGH!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 11, 2017 12:39 am 

Thanks much Guys---am sure grateful it turned out so well !

Colin---think our AM only Magnifiques are the only two I've ever seen ! Really surprising how many companies used that chassis back then---I've actually started a folder with pics of them...

I've got an idea for the volume ctl/switch, but need to see if there's enough room...

John

PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 6:00 am 

Hello All,

Been a long while since working on this set ! Had found an old ceramic trim-cap which came off of an old CAI core-memory PCB many years ago and set it aside for this radio. Have been thinking about how to mount it and thought of a small scrap of PCB I kept---had bought an oscillator coil from Marty for an old GE I repaired months ago and he'd actually cut the edge off of a parts set's PCB that it was attached to and sent it to me. Not only were there two holes with correct spacing for trimmer, but one was connected to a large ground pad I was able to drill through for mounting and obtain ground connection to chassis ! Found a brass M-F stand-off of proper threading and height in hardware "stash" and installed it in place of a conveniently located PCB mounting screw. Cut the needed section out of the small strip of PCB and filed/sanded edges to fit area, then drilled hole in proper location of ground pad to mount. Scraped solder mask off of area to be screwed and carefully tinned the copper---cleaned thoroughly with Isopropyl alcohol and installed PCB piece onto stand-off using a small washer under screw to protect foil. Installed new trim-cap and attached antenna side to terminal of defective one using solid wire. Applied power using test-leads, adjusted new trimmer and radio works great ! Still impressed by the excellent tuning mechanism in this set along with the great sensitivity, outstanding selectivity, and powerful good-sounding audio. Still no viable ideas on replacing the volume control/switch assembly---very little clearance between side of chassis, knob, and whip antennas. Volume does work, so maybe some type of mechanical switch activator to add to the side of knob ?

At least it's now usable !

Pics below...

John

Attachments:
ARF MAGNIF ANT TRMMER PCS.jpg
ARF MAGNIF ANT TRMMER PCS.jpg [ 212.19 KiB | Viewed 1424 times ]
ARF MAGNIF ADDED BRASS STANDOFF.jpg
ARF MAGNIF ADDED BRASS STANDOFF.jpg [ 219.01 KiB | Viewed 1424 times ]
ARF MAGNIF ANT TRMMER CMPLT.jpg
ARF MAGNIF ANT TRMMER CMPLT.jpg [ 229.04 KiB | Viewed 1424 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 11:46 am 

Nice fix!

PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 1:24 pm 

A tidy solution.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 5:06 pm 

Thanks Guys !

Sorta justifies being something of a "pack-rat"...

Sure hope a good functional fix for volume control/switch issue will cross the mind.

John

PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 5:25 pm 

Glad I could provide help for this set, too!! LOL..."sometimes" it pays to be a pack-rat!
Marty

PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 5:30 pm 

Thanks Marty---you can bet I'm keeping the remaining two pieces as well as the couple parts which were left on PCB "fragment" !

John

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 5:30 am 

Hello All,

Finally got this outstanding radio completed !

Took awhile to decide how I wanted to replace the very erratic, "unobtainium" volume control/switch assembly and to gather the motivation to just do it. Most of the "worry" was due to whether or not my original idea would work with the limited available clearances...

Already had the new control which had to have shaft shortened and a junk knob which would become a donor for a "slice" of the internally splined shaft to attach to original knob so they would mate. Pulled chassis, removed old control, and took out rotor so that hole could be used to mark shaft center on chassis for measurement and drilling. After mark made, carefully measured to ensure that there would be clearance for new control to be mounted on inside of chassis and found that it would just fit with little clearance to PCB. Carefully drilled a small pilot hole first using vacuum cleaner nozzle to pulled away metal particles, then used drill of proper size for control mounting. While drilling, the bit grabbed when it got to chassis edge and couldn't safely proceed. Held the new control's washer in position over ragged hole, traced boundary, and spent a long while finishing with a small jewelers rat-tail file. Since bottom edge of control almost contacted PCB bottom, placed two layers of "inductor" tape in area.

Temporarily installed new control and used straightedge along outside face of tone knob to determine where to cut off shaft---then after removing, carefully cut with hacksaw blade while holding area close to control with small Vice-grips over silicone tubing to protect aluminum. Used file to smooth cut end and bevel edges for smooth entry into knob when completed.

Removed center section of junked volume knob designed for splined-shaft and used hacksaw blade to carefully cut off a "slice" of proper thickness to attach to original so it could be used on new control. Drilled out center of original knob to O.D. of control shaft so that it would pass through snugly. Lightly sanded mating surfaces of both knob and "splined slice", cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol, and glued together with Super-glue gel---had inserted the shaft of another new control through front side of knob just enough to align holes while gluing and once "slice" in place, quickly pulled it out so it wouldn't bond to plastic.

Had chipped the edge of a 22K resistor on back side of PCB while filing control hole, so replaced with new part. Installed new control, wired, then tested giving glue time to fully set. Modified knob fit perfectly on new control.

Noticed shallow relief for original control molded on inside of cabinet front and decided to "melt" an additional depression at location of new part with soldering gun even though there didn't seem to be any interference during test "fitting".

Observed when radio apart that they had made accommodation in cabinet front for a lamp to edge-light dial---tried a warm-white LED in the hole and it looked great, but ran out of time today to come up with a plan for mounting. The hole is accessible with chassis installed between top edge and ferrite antenna rod, so might play with this later...

Assembled radio and all fine until back cover snapped into place---radio went dead intermittently as it did originally and think that when battery tube pressed flat into "trough", the positive terminal was still shorting to center contact mounting tabs even though I squeezed them tightly flat with Vice-grips and could clearly see a gap when cover removed. It did this a couple more times, so found a thin plastic washer which fitted over the positive battery button and insulated the exposed metal around it from possible contact with tabs---all now okay when cover tightly closed (whew !!!)...

Knew before that the radio was an excellent performer, but with new, properly functioning volume control spent more time tuning the AM band and was just amazed on what an outstanding performer it really was ! Super sensitivity and selectivity all across band---better than many of my other radios including several with a tuned RF-amp stage (know I've said this many times before, but it is absolutely true). Low inter-station noise and very sharp selectivity (audio quality still excellent)---picked up a couple distant oldies stations clearly mid-day that I'd never heard at that time before. One was adjacent to a stronger local and couldn't even pick it up on the mid-'60's Cadillac Wonderbar I've been using on my work-table ! The new volume control is very smooth---the sturdier shaft and modified/stronger knob has a good, solid feel to it... This radio has enough clear audio "oomph" to knock you back in your chair when turned up. Am sure grateful that it's finally complete and turned out so well ! This is a radio that truly lives up to its name---Magnifique !

John

Attachments:
1ARF MAG ORIG VOL CTL PCS.jpg
1ARF MAG ORIG VOL CTL PCS.jpg [ 144.34 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
2ARF MAG VOL CTL-KNOB MOD PCS.jpg
2ARF MAG VOL CTL-KNOB MOD PCS.jpg [ 206.8 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
3ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL HOLE.jpg
3ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL HOLE.jpg [ 192.6 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
4ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL IND TAPE.jpg
4ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL IND TAPE.jpg [ 198.79 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
5ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL-KNOB READY.jpg
5ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL-KNOB READY.jpg [ 194.52 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
6ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL INSTLD.jpg
6ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL INSTLD.jpg [ 214.04 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
7ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL-MOD KNOB INSTLD.jpg
7ARF MAG NEW VOL CTL-MOD KNOB INSTLD.jpg [ 221.78 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
8ARF MAG KNOB ALIGNMENT.jpg
8ARF MAG KNOB ALIGNMENT.jpg [ 150.85 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]
9ARF MAG CTL PROJECT COMPLT.jpg
9ARF MAG CTL PROJECT COMPLT.jpg [ 114.76 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:34 pm 

Well done John!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 3:15 pm 

I have no idea what you're talking about in the narrative,but the pictures show it quite well. You've got some dragstrip courage to attempt such a thing. The end result came out great! Excellent work!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 5:41 pm 

Thanks very much Guys !

Sure relieved that it's finally done...

Hope the idea will be of help to others in similar situation.

John

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 10:09 pm 

Félicitations, c'est magnifique!

You really put great effort into this one, it must be a very happy radio now.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:22 am 

Looks very nice indeed! Kudos to you John on a very tedious job well done!

-Matt

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 3:44 am 

Many thanks Guys---appreciate the kind words !

It was a happy radio the day of completion and played well for hours, but not quite right the next---seems something went awry in IF section somewhere, so will need further attention when motivation returns. Still worked, but didn't seem quite as sensitive and sound quality had deteriorated a bit. Am wondering if that one IF transformer that was giving trouble earlier went "sour" again ???

May be awhile...

John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2