Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 21, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grundig Satellit 700 Deaf
PostPosted: May Tue 09, 2017 6:53 pm 

Hey everyone, new member here, I have some problems with a Satellit 700 that I have come into possession of recently.

While trying to use this radio I have not been able to hear much, the only thing I have been able to receive is the nearby FM transmitter to my house. I have tried transmitting on HF on multiple bands and have not been able to hear myself. I have found the service manual online but need some guidance. Has anybody heard of symptoms like these on this model? I have read online that this radio has a problem where the 10.7 IF transformer goes bad and causes the FM to go deaf. Is it possible this is the problem with my radio? If so what is wrong with the rest of the bands?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Grundig Satellit 700 Deaf
PostPosted: May Sun 14, 2017 4:26 pm 

It will help guys here if you explain a little more thoroughly what your radio is NOT doing, i.e., does it pick up FM aside from your local station, and is the local station really weak, or normal strength?

Does it pick up any MW or SW at all?

When you turn on the BFO (if the Satellite 700 has one) does it pick up carriers on MW and SW?

When you crank the audio, does it hiss, etc.

That way they can help you a bit better. The guys here are pretty good at helping you pin down possible problem areas. I'm a neophyte at fixing radios so I can't help much myself.

Hope you're able to get the Satellite going, it looks like it's a pretty cool radio.

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 3:16 pm 

Being that no one else responded, I will add here what I saw from looking at a schematic of the Satellite 700 radio:

Looking at the schematic (which I Googled), there is apparently a ribbon cable that carries a lot of the signals from section to section. It's possible a connector oxidized, got loosened, etc. Probably remotely possible, but possible nonetheless.

Beyond that, any help I could try to give you is way beyond my transistor radio paygrade.... I just don't know enough about it.

I would doubt the FM IF transformer is bad, because you did say you can pick up some FM -- just not much more than one station (?). If an IF transformer went bad, I am not sure anything would get through. I could be wrong though.

Good luck with your radio.

PostPosted: May Thu 25, 2017 6:09 pm 

Does your radio use a wall wart for power?

I have no experience with the 700, but I recently acquired a Grundig 800 Satellit that had good FM reception but was overwhelmed with static/trash on SW and BC bands (indoors or outdoors), effectively making those bands unusable. It turns out the 800 is a fairly hungry beast, and the wall wart the seller included with it was a small underpowered third-party job. I replaced it with the correct power supply with proper specs, now all is well.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 7:05 am 

The radio is now has reception on the SW, MW and LW bands after tweaking a bad trimmer capacitor C138, after a quick adjustment all reception has returned on those band just as good as new. The one FM station I can receive is very close to my house and I have to extend the whip to hear it very weakly when on other radios I can hear this station with some static with no antenna attached. I can also receive the RDS data of this station. When I adjust the volume their is no hiss or crackle.

All of the internal cables have been inspected and the connectors have been cycled a few times in the process of the repair process. These problems exist when run with the power adapter or from the battery's.

Sorry for the late reply

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 7:51 am 

Glad you were able to get it working.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 10:25 pm 

Where I can get trimmer capacitor C138, Brand name etc.