Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 22, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd Philco T64-124 (with presentation case) project...
PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 3:53 am 

Hello All,

Had been looking for another T64-124 since the 1st set worked so well after repairing broken antenna rod and PCB cracks. Had bid on a brown set, but lost it at last moment. The listing for this well-used set (brown, also) had appeared just before end of auction and after losing, made an offer which was accepted.

The radio itself was was very worn cosmetically from much use, but the presentation box and original paperwork & accessories (minus earphone) were nearly like new though the external carrying case is very stiff from age. Listing pic showed that the antenna assembly had broken off of PCB, but rod itself was undamaged (thankfully !)---asked the seller if she'd carefully wrap it to prevent damage and she graciously did.

One of the included accessories is very interesting and explains something found on the 1st set---stay tuned for details & more pics !

One of the Ebay pics below...

John

Attachments:
ARF 2nd t64 EBAY pic.jpg
ARF 2nd t64 EBAY pic.jpg [ 157.19 KiB | Viewed 2390 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2nd Philco T64-124 (with presentation case) project...
PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 5:50 am 

Nice radio John!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 21, 2017 3:10 am 

Thanks Matt !

The aluminum plate behind controls is very worn and missing some of the lettering, so not sure what to do about it yet---might just clean it thoroughly and leave alone... The silver trim on front edges of plastic is also worn off, but that shouldn't be too difficult to remedy...

John

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 6:38 am 

Been thinking about this set all weekend while visiting sister and Mom for Christmas...

When I first applied power to radio after reattaching antenna rod (using heavy, flat power transistor lead clippings), it worked fine at upper half of dial with some scratchiness below for a couple minutes---then a quiet pop and nothing. Could still barely hear a strong local when tuned in at full volume. Replaced the electrolytics just before I left with no improvement.

Tonight I got out the signal tracer and had excellent reception up to the base of the 2nd IF transistor using the RF probe. The voltages appeared normal, but nothing but that one local coming through very weakly at output of IF transformer. Pulled transistor and tried another with same result. Thought that the internal IFT cap might be bad, but one of the pins it connected to was clipped off at base of coil and there wasn't even a hole for it in PCB, so couldn't try a variable cap in parallel to test. After removing it, noticed that the surface of the tubular ceramic cap had severe black oxidation. Tried to clean it with a Q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol and discovered that the silver film was "eaten away"... Am still wondering how it worked for those couple moments as the capacitance would have had to be correct for signal to pass through properly ??? Very strange...

Hope to investigate further tomorrow...

John

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 2:36 am 

All day spent on this radio...

Disassembled and cleaned the dirty cabinet and knobs. The outside surface of tuning knob was not only scratched & scuffed, but appeared to have been clouded by some type of solvent which wouldn't polish out with Novus-2. Decided to try wet-sanding with a tiny piece of 2000-grit sandpaper folded to fit within and after going over it many times, it cleaned up pretty well---several passes of Novus-2 brought back the transparency and shine... Though the control trim plate is well worn at bottom, it doesn't look too bad after cleaning---even with "rubbed off" graphics...

Removed tuning cap and carefully, but thoroughly cleaned body and all surfaces of the rotor and stator plates with small pieces of cotton t-shirt material and Windex using a very thin piece of flexible plastic to push it through gaps. Found that a couple of the plates were slightly bent causing the noise during tuning and attached ohm-meter to each section to verify when contact was eliminated. Found also that the shaft is slightly worn and when pressed sideways firmly, caused more shorting. Went through all plates again in both the OSC & ANT sections to correct this and make sure there was no contact regardless of shaft position before reinstallation.

Reinstalled original 2nd IF-amp transistor and tried a "generic" 3rd IFT from junkbox attached with short pigtails---radio came to life, but there was enough of a mis-match that only a few stronger signals came through distorted. At least I now knew that the original transformer internal cap was most likely faulty since resistance reading of windings fine...

To repair defective IF transformer, broke the tubular ceramic capacitor in base and soldered 28 gauge teflon wire pigtail to end connected to the clipped pin after removing pieces. Attached to PCB standing off of surface as far as possible for the wire to pass beneath edge of can. Tried a few silver-mica caps that I thought would be in range and found that 150 pF worked great allowing coil to peak near center of core travel. Found an unused hole in necessary PCB trace near the coil and carefully installed the new cap to it and the IFT pigtail. After peaking all IFT's and ANT trimmer on weak signal, radio worked fantastic all across band (like other set) except for station location on dial being incorrect which was expected after shifting tuning cap OSC plates---will correct this over weekend hopefully... Funny thing is that I thought I had my favorite low-power DX oldies station tuned in during adjustment since the identical music was being played on my reference radio and the dial was at correct spot for 1230 kHz. Thought it odd that the radio (antenna) had to be oriented somewhat differently for maximum signal and that there seemed to be a slight delay in the audio causing an "echo effect"---but had no idea that the program material was used by anyone else until the announcer came on and identified the station as WAMB 1130 in Terre Haute (Brazil, IN) ! Have never received that station before ! So the dial is approximately 100 kHz off on the high end... The sensitivity & selectivity of these sets is just incredible for such a simple 6-transistor circuit---am glad I found a 2nd for comparison ! As mentioned in other T64 thread, these really need vernier tuning as "sharp" as the tuning is... Sound not quite as good as other---a bit more "tinny", but not bad... And the tuning shaft on this set is much tighter and harder to rotate---hope lube will correct...

Pics below with 1st being a "before" from Ebay listing and the final being of both T64's now in collection. Apologize for not taking more detail pics---especially of the IFT "surgery", but was becoming frustrated and impatient as I wanted to get it done... And am a bit "out of sync" due to Christmas...

More to come including discussion of that "mystery accessory" mentioned earlier when time allows...

Anyone else have one of these ???

John

Attachments:
1ARF T64 -BEFORE- EBAY PIC.jpg
1ARF T64 -BEFORE- EBAY PIC.jpg [ 243.86 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
2ARF T64 PRTS CVR INS.jpg
2ARF T64 PRTS CVR INS.jpg [ 200.16 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
3ARF T64 PCB BOT CMPLT.jpg
3ARF T64 PCB BOT CMPLT.jpg [ 216.88 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
4ARF T64 CMPLT INS.jpg
4ARF T64 CMPLT INS.jpg [ 218.53 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
5ARF T64 IFT EXT CAP REPAIR.jpg
5ARF T64 IFT EXT CAP REPAIR.jpg [ 171.13 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
6ARF T64 CMPLT FRT.jpg
6ARF T64 CMPLT FRT.jpg [ 228.29 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
7ARF T64 PAIR.jpg
7ARF T64 PAIR.jpg [ 195.58 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 2:31 pm 

Nice work, as usual!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 7:17 pm 

Looks great ! Those early Philcos were hot players with the surface barrier transistors they developed.
It's always fun to add a partner to an early set, so they don't get lonely sitting there on the shelf.
Nice job solving the IFT problem. I never would have found that one.

Happy Holidays,

Bob S

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 1:54 am 

I hope you didn't remove Marilyn's golden signature... :)
John, I will scan the Photofact (TSM-25) for your folder and mail it to you after the holidays.

front page of home radio service:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vgwAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 2:27 am 

Thanks much, Guys !

Colin---Just one radio left I'm really seeking and a couple others I'd like to find if a good deal comes along... But have several more acquired recently that need a bit more attention (and parts) to truly complete.

Bob---Those Surface Barrier transistors were very impressive, giving outstanding performance at low voltages. Always like to find duplicates of favorite radios for performance comparison if price is right. Hope the IFT info might help others with same type of problem---have had several radios over the years where the internal caps failed... Am sure glad that this one was in the base of coil and accessible without disassembly !

Greg---You just burst the bubble of surprise ! That gold foil was the "mystery accessory" I mentioned earlier and came unused with this radio along with directions for use. Well, that should alleviate the suspense and lessens the urgency to post about it... Am going to leave Miss Marilyn's name alone---imagine someday that trace of gold might be worth more than the radio ! It definitely adds to the "character" of the set and we now know where it came from... Wonder how much that thin strip of 23K gold foil is worth today ??? BTW---thanks for link to the factory manual front page !

John

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 11:09 pm 

Apologies for letting the cat outta the bag John. My bad... :cry:
Would love to see the directions for use sometime.

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 1:13 am 

Not a problem, Greg---thought it funny, though, that you posted just before I was going to take pics and put together my presentation ! Of course, the "golden" instructions will be shown...

Hope to get it done this weekend, but just had some bad family news and might not be able...

Trying to keep busy so I don't "fizzle"...

John

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:37 pm 

Hello All,

Did dial tracking alignment this morning and discovered that best performance on upper end was nearly where it ended up after repair. Evidently bending the plates to remove shorts shifted it slightly, so am going to leave it alone. ANT Adjustment very touchy. Low end of dial not affected and nearly dead-on as it was... Will possibly revisit this radio in warmer weather so I can pull tuning cap again and flush bearings with Acetone in garage and regrease which will hopefully loosen it up a bit...

Here are the detail pics of presentation case, paperwork and accessories---earphone & owner's manual missing... Greg already posted about the Goldmark foil, so am showing the instructions on back side of package. Was surprised that Philco also included a card with schematic. Everything but radio itself appears unused and well cared for---but as outstanding as these little radios perform, not surprised it was so well worn...

John

Attachments:
10ARF T64 PRES CASE.jpg
10ARF T64 PRES CASE.jpg [ 178.3 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
11ARF T64 PRES CASE BK.jpg
11ARF T64 PRES CASE BK.jpg [ 131.09 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
12ARF T64 CASE AND STRAP.jpg
12ARF T64 CASE AND STRAP.jpg [ 241.18 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
13ARF T64 CASE BACK.jpg
13ARF T64 CASE BACK.jpg [ 190.56 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
14ARF T64 PAPER ACCYS.jpg
14ARF T64 PAPER ACCYS.jpg [ 243.8 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
15ARF T64 WAR CARD FRT.jpg
15ARF T64 WAR CARD FRT.jpg [ 153.75 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
16ARF T64 GOLDMARK INST.jpg
16ARF T64 GOLDMARK INST.jpg [ 190.45 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
17ARF T64 SCHEM CARD.jpg
17ARF T64 SCHEM CARD.jpg [ 188.76 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
18ARF T64 IN PRES CASE CMPLT.jpg
18ARF T64 IN PRES CASE CMPLT.jpg [ 195.51 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:49 pm 

VERY nice! Good job John!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 9:08 pm 

Thanks much, Matt !

Am now working on the LED "strip" for 3000-1 T/O...

John

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 7:18 pm 

Service manual in zipped folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xj23txajme1ma ... 4.zip?dl=1

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 10:41 pm 

John, I love seeing your "total breakdowns" in your posts. Very thorough work. Do you ever have issues w/ breaking tabs on speakers, and if so what do you do? Thanks again, Chris

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 1:43 am 

Thanks much for service info, Greg ! Already "unzipped" and saved in this radio's folder---very good quality scans...

Thanks much, Chris---what exactly do you mean about breaking tabs on speakers ? Are you talking of the electrical connections or mounting ?

John

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 8:05 pm 

Sorry John, I meant Speaker grills and mounts. Thanks, Chris

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 2:46 am 

Hello Chris,

I try to be super-careful with the metal tabs on the speaker grilles when they have to be removed, but have had a couple break off. Usually try to bend what's left over enough to catch edge of plastic slot. If there's any area of grille that's not perforated and rests on a plastic lip, a small spot of glue will help---just enough so it doesn't ooze around edge...

Have also had the plastic studs break where the speaker retaining clips attached and usually they will do fine after carefully cleaning pieces with Isopropyl alcohol and then Supergluing---a bit tedious sometimes, but worth the effort... Just gently snug the screws afterward to avoid breaking the glue bond(s)...

John

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 10:42 pm 

John, Thank you very much. Chris