Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Tue 22, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Shack Pound Puppy Radio Circa 1986 troubleshoot tip
PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 3:04 am 

A little background. When my oldest daughter was about five she was enamored with Pound Puppies toys. My wife got her a Pound Puppy radio probably about 86-87. She has kept it all these years and she did remove the battery at some point and put it away.

So late last year she has her first born, a grandson. She wanted to give it to him someday but for now just have it in his room.

She asked me if I could get it working. With doubts I brought it home. First thing fresh battery, no sound, nothing. I'm getting worried, I know enough about tube radios to get me into trouble, transistors even less. Turn in on and off, finally a crackle and some sound. I'm now thinking of getting the Deoxit out and spray into it but decide to instead remove the PC from the housing as I don't want to get the spray on the small stuffed dog on top.

To my surprise the on-off switch is exposed atop the volume control, a simple rotating contact. Grab my Spyderco knife (clipped to my pocket) and scrape the vertical contact. IT WORKS!

Biggest surprise is how good that little dude is and how old it is and still picks up distant stations. I listened to 740 Toronto and WABC also, not bad for fifty some miles west of Detroit.

Felt pretty good after that.

Post subject: Re: Radio Shack Pound Puppy Radio Circa 1986 troubleshoot ti
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 3:00 am 

Glad that it was a simple fix and radio performed well !

Also neat that she kept it and is giving it to her own child---and Grandpa can keep it working...

John

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:21 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Glad that it was a simple fix and radio performed well !

Also neat that she kept it and is giving it to her own child---and Grandpa can keep it working...

John

John, thanks for the reply. I really felt good after getting it to play. First thing I did was to go on Ebay and see if I could find another one to swap the innards from as I went into it with not much confidence. One of my neighbors helped me over the years, he was a Ham and also a laser technician, knew his stuff. He passed almost two years ago. We used to trade on each other's strengths, mine was adapting things to work that were not intended for that purpose, comes from being a biker and hot rodder for over fifty years. Sure miss having him around for advice and support when working on things.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 1:26 am 

Sorry about the loss of your neighbor---I've also known some good people through the years and fortunately most of the adults who helped me as a kid are still living and am able to communicate with them occasionally. I've been a car and electronics "nut" since childhood and have had several old cars, trucks, and a few motorcycles through the years---so know what you mean about getting things to work by designing/fabricating or "re-purposing" parts... Pretty much just maintain the vehicles I have now---radios are cheaper/easier and take less room...

John