Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 17, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Life For Another Zenith 275
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 4:32 am 

This one was working when I got it, but the speaker sounded blown. Then it became intermittant and when it went into a non-working mode I was able to trace it to the driver transistor. Funny, I could let it sit a few hours and it would start working again, but each time the duration seemed to get shorter and shorter. But I decided to check the electrolytics before worrying about that, and they all turned out bad. The one at the volume control was twice the specified value and the rest were measuring in pF. I also decided to add a little challenge to the project by attempting a restuff. These weren't wax and I don't have a heat gun anyway so I took the slow boat to china route and drilled them out. They were in a thin plastic shell and the first one shattered at the last minute. I was able to glue the pieces back together and restuff it anyway. These were originally held in with tape and concealed so it would be okay. The last two were to small to restuff, so I duplicated the print on 60 pound white paper and wrapped the new cap, then sealed the ends with hot glue. Then painted the + end in red enamel and the - end in beige acrylic, then a clear coat, and finally a coat of shellac over the paper cover. I think they came out pretty good. I have a whole pile of "russian ladies" recommended by shango66, and these worked great for the replacement transistor. The alignment was just about right on the money, but a 1/8 turn of the antenna trimmer really brought up the sensitivity. This is the one missing the sticker inside the back cover and thanks to Colin, was able to duplicate it. Also derusted the transformer with navel jelly and coated it in nitrocellulose. The frosted silver finish on the top front was about half worn off, so I took all of it down to the chrome. Refilled the Zenith logo with gloss black acrylic. Then cleaned the clear dial knob with non-pumice handcleaner, then dishwashing fluid, then applied a coat of Future. Wish I had more before and after pictures,but it's playing very well now.

Attachment:
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG [ 111.91 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG [ 139.8 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG [ 109.62 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG [ 74.18 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG [ 120.87 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG [ 100.72 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG [ 96.11 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG [ 101.84 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG [ 106.79 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Life For Another Zenith 275
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 4:55 am 

Hello Metzman,
I also have that same set it is one my favorite sets and wish would restuffed my caps thou .

That set really works well nice preforming set .

You did great job

Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 5:19 am 

Beautiful job. I have a light blue /dark blue 275 I'm really fond of.
It's missing the "275" logo,but otherwise is great. The volume pot is completely noise free. Maybe it didn't get much use. I recapped it and peaked the antenna trimmer. Its quite loud,even at low setting. I have yet to see any early examples that say,"Statesman."

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 5:45 am 

Wow, Metzman---Great work ! Above and beyond what was needed ! Now you need to "re-stuff" the original transistor...

I've got three of these in different color combos, but only one is a great performer (after repair) and is in excellent cosmetic shape except the control panel which is badly corroded.

Zenith Royal---think the names were applied to different models only for advertising purposes...

John

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:01 pm 

Thanks guys! Projects like this are fun. Using it for the kitchen (morning news and weather) radio now.
Quote:
Now you need to "re-stuff" the original transistor...

Lol... What a daunting thought. Trying to fix it has crossed my mind though. Maybe deep freeze it, then warm it up quickly? May try it!

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:47 pm 

Hey Metzman,

Haven't tried it myself (yet), but another guy here tried heating a defective (tin-whiskers) transistor years ago using a hot-air tool for surface-mount work. Got it very hot and after cooling, it worked fine ! Unfortunately, don't remember the thread... Maybe someone else here will ???

We have the equipment at work, but just haven't gotten around to (or thought much about) it...

John