Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boys Radio
PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 8:47 am 

I picked up this radio at an estate sale for a couple bucks. As you can see it is missing the face plate, but considering the great condition and price, my radio hoarding disease wouldn't let me pass it up. An imprint on the back cover, "BOYS RADIO", intrigued me. Poking around on the internet I found that because these radios had only 2 transistors they were labeled toys, instead of radios, and therefore the tariff was much lower. The japanese used this loophole, in conjuction with the low labor rates in japan to sell these radios to US distributors cheaply. The performance matched the price. In fact, in addition to the usual ferrite core antenna, they came also came with a telescoping antenna in an attempt to increase reception. The model number is MTR 203. I don't know the manufacturer (Coronet?). Is there anyone out there that can tell me:
1) manufacturer
2) possible source for a replacement antenna (very small)
3) possible source of reproduction face plate - which would probably mean a good, clean, straight on pic of the original-from what I can see, the plate was a flat piece that fit in a recessed area and held on by three tabs that went through the plastic case and were then bent. Even if it were replaced by a picture it would look better than without anything.

Post subject: Re: Boys Radio
PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 8:52 am 

Oops, I had to resize the pics.

Attachments:
mtr203#1.jpg
mtr203#1.jpg [ 19.7 KiB | Viewed 4763 times ]
mtr203#2.jpg
mtr203#2.jpg [ 20.1 KiB | Viewed 4763 times ]
mtr203#3.jpg
mtr203#3.jpg [ 18.32 KiB | Viewed 4763 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 10:11 am 

I just checked mine (upper shelf, 4th from left, and you are correct AFA badge and model number.

The style also went by "Top Flight" & "Windsor". Similar models, such as "King" & "Queen" didn't have the 2 Transistor badge at the bottom, nor the VC window on the upper left side.

Your best bet is to simply keep an eye on eBay Transistor radio listings, and get another to maybe put both together and make one good one.

The scan doesn't display all the Boys Radios I have, and frankly, this make is one of the worst in performance for the two Transistor circuits. Good looking, though.

Attachments:
den radios2.jpg
den radios2.jpg [ 219.69 KiB | Viewed 4758 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 10:39 am 

www.ebay.com/itm/191440895995

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/summit_summit_2_transistor_boys.html

http://www.herocomm.com/PartsAndPlans/MicGrill.htm

Greg.

Edit: Find a piece of vintage plastic in a Goodwill store or use an off-cut of Formica from a kitchen manufacturer or sign maker, ColorCore doesn't have the dark laminate center. Disposable nail files can come in handy.
Some 60's plastic will shatter :shock: when cut with a chop-saw.

Print your own custom label and place it behind a piece of a CD jewel case. You can 'heal' and 'round' the cut edges with a blowtorch (takes a little bit of practice) long brisk stokes!
Make tabs from a Baked Bean can.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 6:10 pm 

Thanks guys, great info. I don't know why I didn't try to look it up at the Radio Museum, as I use it often. I am wondering about the external antenna. Was it included with the radio? Was it telescoping or 1 piece? Beautiful collection fifties! Every radio looks unused! I'm more into tube radios, but I have a few transistors.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 6:37 pm 

www.ebay.com/Coronet-Boys-Deluxe-2-transistor-Radio-with-Box-and-Antenna

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 6:40 pm 

1968rt - Nice Coronet 2 transistor radio! I found a recent sale on eBay and the Coronet radio was sold with a telescoping external antenna:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coronet ... 7675.l2557

I have a couple of 2 transistor radios that were sold under the Mello-tone label which also had an external antenna. I found that using the antenna did not increase the performance of the radio.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 6:52 pm 

I am a little confused about the cutout on the left side of the carrying case. The pics of this radio show no cutout in the face plate, and even if there was, there are no markings on the volume control dial to indicate the approximate location of the dial. I wonder, because these radios were made with only one objective - low price - if they used the same carrying case for a few different models?

PostPosted: Feb Wed 25, 2015 7:55 pm 

In nautical terms... It's a porthole :) ...see the herocomm link above.
These cases were used by many different manufacturers.

“Boy’s Radios.”
Japanese firms were hit with both a domestic export tax and a North American import tax on any AM radio having three or more transistors. To avoid the expense, Japanese manufacturers in the 1960s developed AM radios that operated on two transistors. They were marketed as “toys” rather than electronic devices, thus sidestepping the taxes.

These radios would either have “Boy’s Radio” or “Two Transistors” prominently and proudly displayed on the cabinet. In many cases, the cabinets were identical to “real” radios with six transistors. Performance was less than stellar, but these radios could still pick up local stations. Teenagers were swayed by price and appearance; performance was low on their list.
From antiquetrader.com

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 26, 2015 12:11 am 

3Transistors wrote:
1968rt - Nice Coronet 2 transistor radio! I found a recent sale on eBay and the Coronet radio was sold with a telescoping external antenna:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coronet ... 7675.l2557

I have a couple of 2 transistor radios that were sold under the Mello-tone label which also had an external antenna. I found that using the antenna did not increase the performance of the radio.

That example on eBay looks like it would be a decent pickup if it could be had for 15 bucks or less.

On most any of the two-Transistor sets, I too have found that during the daytime, reception on local stations doesn't seem to improve with the telescoping antenna connected and extended.
However, try it outside and at night, and you'll see a difference with DX.

1968rt wrote:
I am a little confused about the cutout on the left side of the carrying case. The pics of this radio show no cutout in the face plate, and even if there was, there are no markings on the volume control dial to indicate the approximate location of the dial. I wonder, because these radios were made with only one objective - low price - if they used the same carrying case for a few different models?

As I had mentioned above, this set went under different nameplates, some of which did not have the 2 Transistor badge, nor the VC window. The cabinets would all have been the same, but the bezel over it would either have the porthole or not.
There are no numbered markings on the VC dial, as would be found on six Transistor sets to determine specific volume levels. Rather, when the set is turned off, it is blank. When turned on, there is a red horizontal line, consistent across the volume range, to simply advise that the set is on.

AFA making a bezel; I made several for my "Mello-Tone" styled sets, which also went under different badge names.
I took an example to a print shop and had them make a few color copies of it. I cut out the bezel portion, and glued it onto the upper section of the radio.
I then got a piece of an Avery Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheet, cut it to fit, and glued that onto the paper bezel, and voila, a shiny, protected bezel that really couldn't be distinguished from the original without thoroughly scrutinizing it.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 26, 2015 3:30 am 

That is exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread. I made a back for a 5D011. I had 2 radios, but only 1 back. I went to a print shop, had it copied, pasted it on some posterboard, and cut it out. From a couple feet away you can't tell I made it. I think I might try using the ebay pic that egg posted. Of course if you have a radio similar to the one on your shelf, only without the vc window, and would be willing to post a straight on picture, I might be able to use that. My vc knob is a little different from the one you described. It only has a red dot that is pointed straight left when the radio is off, so any time the radio is turned on, you can't see the dot. I think the vc knob on your radio is slightly lower than mine. Mine looks to be almost exactly between the top of the radio and the top of the speaker grill, while yours seems closer to the grill. You know now that I think about it, while it wouldn't be absolutely correct, I could use a pic from a radio with a vc window and just not cut it out like for the tuning knob window. Who would know (except for you guys)?

PostPosted: Feb Thu 26, 2015 7:02 am 

I had to use my magnifying glass to determine that mine too has a dot when it's turned off, but it's black in color. Turning it on gives the red line.

I had to take the pic at a slight angle, because when photographed head on, the chrome accents blurred, so I hope you can use this. It is sized exactly correct.

Attachments:
P1010002a.jpg
P1010002a.jpg [ 57.09 KiB | Viewed 4622 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 28, 2015 4:24 am 

I was at an estate sale today when I had a brainstorm. I bought the "mini boombox" for a buck, and while it's not a perfect fit, it was a cheap way to be able to display the radio with an antenna. My printer broke down on me, so I haven't been able to print out any of the face plates.

Attachments:
ant.jpg
ant.jpg [ 37.01 KiB | Viewed 4557 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 28, 2015 5:08 pm 

idea. are there any 3D printers in your area ? many times found at the library. may be a great way to make the missing face cover. use clear plastic for reverse paint scheme :|

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2015 1:45 am 

Finally got around to playing with this thing. I ended using the face that fit the best. I took clear tape to "laminate" it. It looks much better in the pic than in person, but it is now something I can display on the shelf. Thanks to all for suggestions and pics.

Attachments:
2 trans.jpg
2 trans.jpg [ 119.04 KiB | Viewed 4284 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2015 2:11 am 

Turned out nice---good work !

And good idea about those mini-boombox antennas---see 'em all the time at thrift stores cheap...

John

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2015 8:05 pm 

are you saying that they have boxes of mini boom box antennas that fit these threaded antenna connections on Boys Radios. I could use one thanks

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2015 3:19 am 

tubeAMP wrote:
are you saying that they have boxes of mini boom box antennas that fit these threaded antenna connections on Boys Radios. I could use one thanks

I think he is saying the those mini boomboxes are common in thrift stores. I think I have one of those radios packed away somewhere too.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2015 2:10 pm 

even for cheap I wouldnt want to buy a whole radio then take its antenna. not even radios I dont like
then Im stuck with a radio I dont like without an antenna :|

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2015 6:05 pm 

You have to be kidding. First of all, the idea is to make whole a piece of history by using parts from a piece of junk that somebody got for free by starting a magazine subscription (as evidenced by the box the radio was in). Second of all a lot of people who have been in this hobby for any length of time have bought a "parts" radio that will never be restored, but has parts that can be used to make other radios whole. My other hobby is classic muscle cars, and my friend and I have bought more than one car just for parts, then junked what was left. Would you also say that those practices are not reasonable? Your comment has me completely baffled.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next