Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 27, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Hallicrafters receiver to buy?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 5:24 pm 

I have built several working regen receivers in the past, and I am tired of building regen receivers. I have recently bought a Hallicrafters sx-110 receiver, which is ok. But! This sx-110 is a single conversion receiver. I have seen , on the You Tube site, the sx-122 double conversion receiver in action, and I have determined that a double conversion receiver is the way to go. Can someone honestly tell me which of the Hallicrafters double conversion receivers is the entry level double conversion receiver? If possible, I would like a receiver with all octal tubes. I think this entry level receiver would be the cheapest, the easiest to restore, and maybe more availiable than the king of the Hallicrafter`s double conversion line for 1962-1964, the sx-122. Any opinions or information appreciated. Lenny

Post subject: Re: Which Hallicrafters receiver to buy?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 8:06 pm 

Lenny,

I would choose the SX-100 as my first choice and the SX-96 as a second choice. The SX-96 can be thought of as a much cost reduced version of the SX-88 while still providing very good performance and the SX-100 is an updated version which adds a calibrator, notch filter, and antenna trimmer which are all very useful upgrades over the SX-96. The SX-122 is a neat looking later production receiver but I think of it as a cost reduced version of the SX-100 with less selectivity choices and no notch filter HOWEVER the SX-122 does have a product detector.

Although my SX-100 doesn't have selectivity as sharp as my SX-88 for the most part any signal the SX-88 can copy so can the SX-100.

Note with any of these Hallicrafters receivers the first IF is 1650 Khz. which was chosen when the broadcast band didn't extend this far. If you have a nearby broadcast station on 1650 you will need to put a simple trap in the antenna lead to prevent it from coming through the front end directly into the first IF stage.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 2:16 am 

Hi Lenny,

The SX-122 is one of Hallicrafters best receivers. For more info look for the eham equipment reviews online. The SX-122 is given the highest rating of "5" by all of the reviewers.

73, Mike/KE5YTV

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 2:49 am 

I usually don't think "entry level" when it comes to double conversion receivers. My introduction to double conversion was a Hallicrafters SX-71. 8 of its 13 tubes are octal. (I don't think Hallicrafters ever made an all-octal, double conversion set.) It was the best receiver I had ever used at the time but I traded it and some other stuff for an SX-100. I still have it.

I once played with an SX-122. Properly restored and aligned, it is a very capable double conversion set but I prefer having the additional features offered on the SX-100.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 5:15 pm 

I am currently using my sx-110, and it has be recapped. I have an 100' antenna, which runs back and forth on the ceiling of my apartment. each length is about 12'. I have no way of putting up a better antenna on the outside here. I can really tell the difference in signal volume by using the built in antenna tuning cap. I bid on a sx-122 yesterday, on ebay, and the last minute bid, by the eventual winner, was 102 dollars higher than my last bid of 175 bucks. These sx-122 receivers must be like gold! Anyhow: I will probably try to improve my sx-110 a little bit, and maybe it will be all that I need for now. Thank all for the info Lenny

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 5:47 pm 

The SX-110 is a decent receiver but a far cry from the SX-100. The SX-110 is a late iteration of the circuit that started with the 1938 S-20 Sky Champion, the SX-110 adds a single element crystal filter that isn't very useful for shortwave broadcast listening but otherwise the basic circuit design is very familiar to anyone who has been inside a Sky Champion or the later highly popular S-40 series of radios.

There is a SX-100 on the bay for auction ending Sunday you might want to keep an eye on. It has its 100 Khz. calibrator intact; check when buying these because sometimes a previous owner will have removed the entire calibrator assembly and other times the vacuum sealed 100 Khz. crystal is missing.

The SX-122, particularly the A suffix model, tends to auction at a higher price because of its inclusion near the end of Hallicrafters' existence. The styling of the SX-122 matched that of the later era gear including the SX-117/HT-44 and later SR series transceivers. For the same reason you see the SX-130 and SX-133 selling for far more than their performance warrants because they were still around until near the end when Northrop Defense Systems sold the rights to the Hallicrafters name in the mid 1970s. The SX-100 probably holds some sort of record for the craziest ebay pricing during the peak of the vintage gear phase when it briefly was selling for over $1,000. Some of the more aggressive ebay sellers had convinced a sufficient number of buyers that the SX-100 was a more modern SX-88 and at that time one SX-88 had hit the $10K selling point and it lifted the SX-100 pricing up also. I picked up my SX-122A at a hamfest about 10 years ago for $100 and it is a nice looking receiver but for general shortwave and broadcast listening I would definitely choose either my SX-96 or SX-100 over it.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 12:57 am 

IF YOU HAVE DEEP POCKETS......SX-73.... THIS WAS THE BEST HALLICRAFTERS COULD BUILD.....PHIL

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:22 am 

Lenny,

I would try and get the SX 100 or SX 96 if you can. Be patient. There apparently were a lot of the 100's made, because they come up on EBay all the time. Just look carefully at the photo's and read the description. I always look for radios that can be restored. Sometimes the case is pretty rusty or dirty, but the lettering is all clean and the chassis looks like it will clean up. Those can be had at a reasonable price. Another nice feature of the SX 100 is that it is a general coverage receiver, instead of just the ham bands.

Someone has suggested the SX 71. I am looking for one of those myself as they appear intriguing, and are not expensive. My favorite boat anchor is the Hammarlund HQ 140 XA. But that may just be because I found one that works marvelously after changing out the caps.

Norm

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 12:39 pm 

lennyshere wrote:
I have an 100' antenna, which runs back and forth on the ceiling of my apartment. each length is about 12'. I have no way of putting up a better antenna on the outside here.
That's unfortunate. The main reason for having double conversion is to reduce or eliminate signal images caused by the restraints of single conversion designs. I feel that, unless you are getting images from strong signals, especially at the higher SW frequencies, a double conversion receiver will not help improve reception from an inadequate antenna. But if you are getting good signals from your antenna and need the extra benefits offered by double conversion sets, then upgrading might prove to be beneficial. Are images a problem with your SX-110?

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 4:34 pm 

Dave,

I agree that a better antenna setup would be nice and given the OP's radio setup I expect a major advantage from using a SX-96 or SX-100 will be the superior selectivity (compared to the SX-110) in reducing noise and interference which would otherwise make weaker signals difficult or impossible to hear. With an inside antenna I expect spurious radiation from a lot of modern products are being picked up and being able to narrow selectivity and choose which sideband is received should allow receiving some signals that otherwise cannot be copied. The front end of these receivers will also provide better sensitivity at the upper end of the shortwave range compared to the SX-110.

I know that for years QST has pushed high dynamic range as being the critical factor for receivers/transceivers but in reality the antennas and operating conditions under which the great majority of users operate dictate that the older metrics of sensitivity and selectivity are the most important. Most common antenna setups act as a pretty effective attenuator preventing the front end from seeing extremely high level signals and the front end selectivity of these older receivers is sufficient to knock down most out of band problems in the current shortwave environment. With the lessening utilization of the shortwave range by broadcast, commercial, and military stations poor image rejection is now more of a noise issue (noise interference on the image frequency) as opposed to the old problem of having Radio Moscow booming through via image when tuned to a ham band range.

A small active antenna mounted on a window sill and fed by well shielded coax may well work better than a large indoor wire since it can be oriented to reduce noise pickup from indoor wiring that is coupling switching power supply and other digital noise to the inside antenna.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 8:16 am 

I had an SX-122 with matching speaker and wasn't fond of it. Sold it after using it about a year. I thought it was mechanically tinny and the tuning knobs were not all that pleasant to use, i.e. they had just sort of a "dead" feel and no "weight." Performance-wise I don't recall anything special. But maybe because I was used to Collins S-Line and 75A-4 equipment.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:56 am 

Now I remember why I had an SX-122. A friend gave it to me because it didn't work. He had tried to fix it unsuccessfully and gave up. It was seriously afflicted with the dreaded silver-mica migration disease. I fixed it and gave it back to him.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 4:33 am 

Hi Lenny,
In my opinion, for general coverage, the door is open for quite a few radios, as you may already know.
It all depends on what your style is, round dial, slide rule or a combination of both.
Once you get one, you will need to do some work to make it perform, as the old components will have changed value, and not work as well as they should.
unless you pay top dollar and get one already modified.

If you can do the work for yourself, you will save a lot in labor.

N8CMQ Jeff

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 10:56 pm 

Well guys, I'm very disappointed to hear everyone's take on the SX-122. I haven't ever owned one but I've always admired their looks. After reading the eham.com reviews, I thought that I would pickup one someday. I've got a house full of receivers so I'm going to scratch that one off of the list :?

PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:22 am 

If you already have a full house of very capable receivers, you probably don't need an SX-122. If this would be your first double-conversion set with a product detector as a bonus, you will be delighted with a properly restored and aligned SX-122. Just my opinion.

Dave