Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 22, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters WR 1500 Receiver Manual
PostPosted: Sep Tue 13, 2011 1:10 pm 

:lol:
I am looking for the manual, or alignment proceedure and adjustment identifications for a Hallicrafters WR 1500 General Coverage 5 tube Receiver. I think the S-118 is the same chassis.

Thanks for your help, millievolt

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters WR 1500 Receiver Manual
PostPosted: Sep Tue 13, 2011 7:31 pm 

The S-118 is available here http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hallicra/

PostPosted: Sep Tue 13, 2011 9:08 pm 

Jim

Thanks for your reply, I downloaded this file on 9/11/2011 and it is not readable. At least one other ARFer has had same result; Brad B:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... w=previous

I also found this web site "http://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=hallicrafters" that has the S-118 manual but it requires you to register before you can download. When I go through the process, this guy never responds with e-mail to gain permission. I think a lot of people have the same problem based of FAQ's, etc.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 14, 2011 2:10 am 

I just checked Bama and the file is there and readable. You will need to download the viewer to open it.

http://windjview.sourceforge.net/

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Wed 14, 2011 2:30 pm 

Hello Dave

Thanks for the information. I have used BAMA for many years. I have to view files from the mirror site, EDEBRIS, I cannot get files from SBC.EDU. I have the DJVU executable and can view files.

I went out to Bama after your mail, I looked at the S-118 file with DJVU, again. The legibilty is very questionable and the important information, Schematic, parts locations on the top/bottom chassis view and parts list is completely illegibe. I cannot use this information.

If you can read it, I would appreciate you taking the time to mark up only the top view of the chassis calling out the tube locations(V1-V5), the inductor(L1-L15) and capacitor trimmer locations(C1 - C15) and mailing a copy to me. I dont think it would take much time to make 50 or so marks on a picture and email a copy. This would certainly be a big help to me.

In the meantime, I will stand by my original statement, the schematic, callouts and parts list are illegible and useless to me.

Regards, millievolt

PostPosted: Sep Thu 15, 2011 3:42 am 

I thought you had a problem opening the file, after looking at it I can see what you are talking about. The copy at dk.mods is no better.

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Thu 15, 2011 11:58 am 

Hello Dave

Thanks for the information, how did you get to mod.dk? I tried for several days to get the email permission with no luck! If the S-118 file is no better than I wont even try anymore. I wonder if some of the guys just copy files from other web sites to build up their own site.

I was able to get a useable S-118 manual from another ARFer and I have a very good copy of the WR1500 schematic. I would like a good copy of the top chassis calling out the alignment adjustments. I can figure them out from the schematic but I feel better if I have a picture with the adjustments identified. The alignment proceedure calls for setting the radio and generator at a frequency, peaking the output with the capacitor trimmers and then resetting the radio/generator at another frequency and peaking the inductor trimmers. Then repeating process untill maximum output is obtained. Then going to the other bands, repeating the maximum process of capacitor/inductor adjustment while changing frequencies and finally returning to the above steps for one more peaking operation.

This process is riddled with pot holes, setting the generator/receiver dead on repeatably each time is difficult even with a counter.

I wonder if a sweep generator could be used to simplify this process. Push a 0-2Mhz sweep through the grid of the first tube and look at the receiver response at the detector as you tune the radio to the required frequencies. You could set a marker with an external signal generator for reference. This set was built in 1962 and sweep generators were readily available at the time. Maybe the KC frequency range of the typical sweep generator is the issue.

Maybe there is a way to evaluate the receiver performance by using a sweep generator before you try to align it.

just thinking outloud, some other guys might have some ideas about the alignment.

Regards, millievolt

PostPosted: Sep Sun 18, 2011 2:07 pm 

Is this what you are looking for. If it is and it's too small here PM me your email add. and I'll send you a bigger copy.

The easy way to align a set like this is to use a crystal calibrator and set the oscillator first at a nice round figure near to the manufacturers alignment points and once that's done use a sig gen near to the band ends to peak up the aerial and mixer circuits.

In the old days people used a buzzer to generate hash type noise to peak up the band ends.

Best

Jim

Attachments:
Copy Hal 2.jpg
Copy Hal 2.jpg [ 83.87 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]
Copy Hal 1.jpg
Copy Hal 1.jpg [ 66.4 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 19, 2011 1:59 pm 

:lol: Hello Jim

Yes!!!! This is exactly what I need. Thank you so much, the boys across the pond come through again!

I have a complete manual, I think, with good pics of the top and bottom, plus a very good Schematic. I will try to package this data and see if BAMA will post so that others can use the information.

Thanks again to all, Brad B, Jim D, Dave aka easyrider8 and Jim aka g4xwd for your generous response.

regards, millievolt

PostPosted: Sep Mon 19, 2011 2:52 pm 

Glad to be able to help. You chaps over there have helped me a few times.

Jim

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2012 3:33 pm 

Hi Millievolt and friends, I am also in search of a manual for the wr1500, which resembles a Hallicrafters S53 chasssis somewhat (no 6 meters band). Could one of you please send me a link or email the aliggnment steps and/or manual please? Just got one on ebay, and while I have fixed S38's and am working on a S53, cant find info on the "living room quality" WR1500, aside from the info here that someone sent millievolt. Thanks and 73, Karl, WA2KBZ

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2012 5:50 pm 

WA2KBZ...
Here you go....tried to help.....cannot send schem 10kb, cannot send manual because it is *.pdf format.......I guess the only thing to do is give email and I will send data

regards millievolt

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2012 7:21 pm 

Karl,

I have a very clean schematic/w dial string diagram. The file is about 10 kb. I also have a legible service manual, in PDF format, that has the alignment data for the S-118 which is similar to the 1500. I tried to upload these files but was not allowed.

I also tried to contact the moderator for assistance with no luck. I would like to help you but I do not know what to do at this point!

regards, millievolt

PostPosted: Feb Wed 06, 2013 9:21 pm 

Sorry Millivolt, had huge computer issue. Suckered by bad virus from a friend's email (sent by a virus, not him) that sent "Hi" messages to all in my contact list (now erased) with a link to a copy of virus attached. My up-to-the-hour antivirus SW missed it. Took several days and online help from an IT outfit in India, the Malwarebytes program and $$ to erase it. Could you please email me with the WR1500 schematic, etc. to wa2kbz@gmail.com? With thanks, 73 Karl

Post subject: Mods.dk
PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2013 1:52 pm 

Mods.dk has always been super for me, no trouble at all. You register and get one free download a day I think and if you pay them a small fee you get a month or 3 month subscription.

Perhaps something is blocking their email from reaching you.

Mike