Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 20, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help with HQ-160 weak 18-30 Mhz Band
PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 6:49 pm 

Everyone suggests defeating the "auto response" tone circuit in the HQ-160 but I find that it works well. When listening to AM, either on the BC or the SW bands, I get smooth, wideband audio because the volume control is seldom advanced very far. But when listening to SSB (or CW) under crowded conditions with the BFO on and the RF gain reduced, there is a mid-range emphasis as the volume control is advanced. This seems to help reduce adjacent signal interference in addition to using the other adjustable selectivity functions. It seems to work just like the book says. What's the problem?

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 6:56 pm 

Thanks again, Rodger, for your suggestions. I am at some sort of limit for electronics at the moment. I counted 15 BAs, 26 VOMs, seven scopes and five workbenches. Didn't even start on the test equipment. I do realize there are much larger collections.

I really like Heath, have about ten pieces but no receivers. Your suggestion to go to Heath is tempting. I will start looking for a Heath receiver and the first one will be SB-310.

Thanks, Bill

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 7:12 pm 

Not sure that everyone suggests to remove the auto-response (AR) circuit. Have you tried it? Audio/hearing is a very personal experience, as we all know.

I have tried it both ways & I personally did not see a huge difference. If you are happy with the way it sounds, then leave it. I have a HQ-145A & I am happy with the sound from the couplate the AR system. But in one Hammarlund (HQ-100A) , I ended up removing it & I thought it sounded somewhat better, although still not as good as my HQ-100 which still had the couplate and AR. My goal was to improve the 100A to make it sound as good as the 100. Apparently, there were other factors. Cheers -- Bob V

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 10:37 pm 

Dave,

To clarify all of my Hammarlund HQ receivers that came from the factory with the auto response circuit still have it. I don't expect these receivers to lead the pack in audio quality, they excel in other ways.

I am surprised people haven't named me the "anti-mod". I put the factory clipper circuit back in my Viking 500 because I wanted it to be stock. With the clipper set for minimum clipping it doesn't clip. In general when I acquire modified equipment if practical I return it back to stock.

Exceptions to the no modification rule for me are safety modifications. Gear that doesn't have a fuse gets a proper one but it will be installed without drilling or cutting any new holes. I will make changes where I think they are really needed to improve reliability (i.e. cooling fans for the now very expensive "sweep" tubes in transmitters) but these will be added in a totally reversible manner. I don't like MV rectifiers, they are too high maintenance for my taste so they get replaced with plug in SS units. My Hallicrafters HT-19 got plexiglas covers over the access binding posts on the back because it didn't seem like a good idea for the factory to have left the 1600 volt plate supply terminals exposed. But I prefer to experience the gear as much as possible like the factory intended. I have no problem with others who like to see what they can do to enhance the performance of the gear. Unfortunately too many ham types modify a part of a receiver or transmitter without really considering that it is a system composed of many circuits and poorly designed modifications often have a detrimental impact on other performance aspects of the radio and/or don't perform well over a wide range of conditions. Too hot/wrong type tubes that appear to improve sensitivity but often ruin AGC performance are a classic example of this class of problem. People like Carl have a strong background and experience to do it right but someone who jumps into a circuit and modifies it without really understanding the circuit is likely to have a negative outcome.

Rodger WQ9E

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2