Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HW-16, How to turn a recap into a project
PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 9:07 pm 

So... I bought this poor, dirty, corroded, green copper wire having, HW-16 because it was cheap and it needed fixing. The owner said it wouldn't power on. Checked the Off/ On switch and it was bad :D I jumped the switch, connected to the PR-57, and started bringing the voltage up. Filaments lit on most tubes. I gave the unlit tubes a wiggle and those lit. I raised the voltage a little at a time and stopped at 115 VAC. Everything looked good. No snap. crackle, pop. No smells. Success! I checked voltages and what I checked looked good. With that in mind, I ordered some caps to replace the cans and one 2-section 50µF paper electrolytic. All I was going to do was recap it and then see what else was wrong. Today was cap changing day. I started here:

Bottom

But then the little voice started. It's dirty the voice said. You should clean the chassis the little voice said. I, of course didn't answer it because.... you know... that would be weird :shock: Then the little voice said - dekit, build it again... dekit, build it again... :| Stupid voice. Of course I'm not going to do that. It's way too much work and this is only an HW-16. They aren't known for their spectral purity that's for sure. Then the little voice said - dekit, build it again... dekit, build it again...

Obviously I ignored the little voice... sort of... ok not really but it's not that bad right? I mean it's only a few more parts and I can start over fresh.

Here it is in it's current state.

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: HW-16, How to turn a recap into a project
PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 9:23 pm 

I've gone down a similar road... Spoiled a working Khron-Hite push-button audio oscillator. Play the Gamblers tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn481KcjvMo

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 9:26 pm 

You are just re=kitting it :) The HW-16 is a fun rig. Add the HG-10B VFO and have fun on CW.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 9:38 pm 

I'm all in now. The faceplate is off. I am pulling things off in "chunks" for now. As in tube socket with some chokes, resistors, etc, still attached. Then I'll clean it all up, accumulate the parts, and start checking off in the manual. I always wanted to build one of these :D but I wasn't planning on it.

About the VFO- I found this- http://www.k3jls.net/hw16.html

I need to email him and ask where he is with the Adding RIT part...

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 9:57 pm 

Mike,

That is an interesting way of turning the HW-16 into more of a "true" transceiver. As designed about the only thing shared is the chassis, box, and power supply. You will need RIT with this setup but given the matching VFO is common I would run it as Heathkit intended. Of course any other classic external VFO could be used or one of the modern DDS setups from the far east.

A good friend worked a ton of DX as a novice with a HW-16 mostly using 15 meters during a good part of the sunspot cycle.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 10:05 pm 

I agree Rodger. The rebuild is going to take enough effort as it is. Not that much I guess. If it's fun it's not effort. I think it'll be harder to disassemble it without screwing something up than it will be to assemble it

I didn't get the VFO but there's a Hamfest coming up soon. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 10:42 pm 

+1 Rodger, Is a fun rig! Made my first few CW contacts on one back in the late 80's. Never met a HW-16 that I didn't like. They seem to go for just about nothing at the fests. Yours looks pretty good, a lot them have missing white knobs that are a little hard to come by. I think I have four of them two working and two parts sets. As you may know there is a Yahoo group about these set and a lot of good info. One of the more important bits is if use it on 15mtrs separating some of the turns on the tank coil will make it resonate much better, more power out and better receive sensitivity.

GL
Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 11:56 pm 

I'm making some progress. This is where things slow down a little. I'm not sure how much "shine" I'll get back but it'll be better than it was

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 12:15 am 

One of the big problems you may find is that the dial becomes brittle in HW16s so
the pinch roller breaks off chunks from the rim.

I never did find a repro or used dial for mine. The ultimate work-around was to
trim the OD of the original dial and sister on a clear dial along side it. The old
dial provides the divisions, and the new clear dial is driven by the pinch roller.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 1:20 am 

Jim, the dial seems to be fine. I'm not sure this rig was used very much. Just stored poorly

I've turned the corner (which means I don't care how much shinier it could be... this is how much it's going to be). Time to clean up the nasty circuit board

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 2:38 am 

The circuit board had some green corrosion on the copper. Not a lot but enough to make me want to tear the rig into tiny pieces :D

One place I found the green stuff was around one lead of a neon bulb that is installed on one cathode of V6 (V6A) (audio amplifier). It turns out that one lead wasn't soldered very well and the lead rotted off at the glass. I may have some neon bulbs around here but if I don't, is there a substitute? And... what are they doing with it? Cathode bias? AGC? With a bulb?

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 2:45 am 

It's a NE-2 bulb and it's for the cw sidetone. Some folks leave them disconnected as the sidetone is loud and raspy sounding.

Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 2:53 am 

Oh, ok that makes sense. That's why it wasn't soldered.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 3:17 am 

If you stay with the internal sidetone you can make changes to the volume and frequency via the resistor values to make it less annoying but these neon relaxation oscillators aren't "clean" so the tone won't be great. If you are using an external keyer it probably has its own better sidetone circuit.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 4:10 am 

I use a paddle with my modern rigs and I've got a keyer but I've been trying to teach myself how to use a straight key and a bug. The bug has been challenging. I'll need to keep my options open.

A quick search on the web for NE-2's came up with lots of options but I'm not sure about the voltage rating. Mouser has an A1A (I think) rated 65VAC. Another place says 105-120 VAC or VDC. Neither of these sound right

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 5:13 am 

Mike6158 wrote:
The circuit board had some green corrosion on the copper. Not a lot but enough to make me want to tear the rig into tiny pieces :D
Quote:
But then the little voice started. It's dirty the voice said. You should clean it the little voice said. I, of course didn't answer it because.... you know... that would be weird :shock: Then the little voice said - dekit, build it again... dekit, build it again... :| Stupid voice. Of course I'm not going to do that. It's way too much work and this is only an HW-16. They aren't known for their spectral purity that's for sure. Then the little voice said - dekit, build it again... dekit, build it again...
:twisted:

Ducking and running...

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 5:32 am 

I've got the board cleaned up pretty well all things considered. I thought about taking everything off but I didn't like the odds of screwing up the board so I used q-tips. I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner like the techs use on modern boards (like laptops) would work on something like this. I guess that it doesn't matter. I don't have one :lol:

I'm going to check resistors tomorrow and replace anything that's out of tolerance. Then on to the next step

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 5:31 pm 

That's a great project. I have been wanting to dekit a HW101 but can't ever find one cheap enough to put that much effort into. It was my first hf rig and I was stupid and sold it. Maybe I will find one at Dayton this year.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 6:36 pm 

Hi Mike,

Boy, I am glad your are posting this! I started down the same road with my HW-16, which I checked out for transmit and receive before I started the restoration. The problem here is that mine has a copper plated chassis, corroded on top pretty badly. The bottom was better, except the general area around the 6GE5 socket experienced some sort of electro-chemical reaction. Maybe a mouse was involved, because the underside of the cabinet in that area is rusted. I stripped it down by "module", that is, keeping strings of components connected where it made sense, like in terminal lug connections. I couldn't do much with the chassis short of an expensive replate job, so I painted it with gray primer to keeping it from rusting away in the closet, where it has now sat for 3 years. I was thinking I could eventually paint it and remove it in areas where the IF coil housings, screws, etc. need to touch bare metal.

Please add some details on the polishing of your chassis and what you used to clean the circuit board. They look great. Are you going to wax the chassis, or use a clear coat of polyurethane or something else? I am making an assumption that yours may have areas that have the plating removed by the polishing. Maybe someone can point to a thread on the forum where this is addressed.

Ted, KX4OM

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 6:53 pm 

The NE-2 fires at about 65-68v. If it sez that it fires at 120v it's got a resistor in series with it.

Terry

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next