Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Hammarlund SP-600 JX-7 Restoration
PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 5:30 am 

I received my switches a few days ago and just finished installing them. They fit quite well despite the terminals being on the ends instead of the back. Because of this, I had to bend the terminals on the bottom of the CW/MOD switch outward to keep them from sticking out below the bottom edge of the front panel. The terminals are also what I consider to be too close together so I actually bent all of them outward a bit.

Here's what the switches look like:

While working on changing the switches, I realised how poorly the former owner replaced the MVC/AVC switch. The wires were more or less loosely tack soldered to the switch terminals. I rewired that switch as well. I also rewired the audio gain pot since it also looked like crap. :P

After replacing the switches, I reinstalled the front panel and the knobs. I now have an SP-600 that looks like an SP-600! The panel will need to be repainted eventually and have the dial window glass replaced and so on. I am not worried about those things right now though.

When replacing the CW/MOD switch, I was convinced that I wired it upside down (up=BFO on), but I realised afterwards that it was actually correct, but it is mounted upside down. :roll: I'll have to turn it around. Same goes for the STBY/REC switch. The way Hammarlund did things with down being "ON" for the BFO and "REC" for the standby switch really messed my brain up! :P Regardless of those errors, the radio was quite a joy to use this evening.

I tuned around the CW portion of the 80 meter band, listened to some smooth jazz around 5.8mHz which sounded very good in the 8kHz bandwidth position. I also tuned up to the CW portion of the 40 meter band then cruised the AM broadcast band. There were so many stations heard on the broadcast band that I could rarely hear only one station at once! It was quite the cacophony.

I plan to use the radio a lot in its current state to get a feel for it and see what needs to be adjusted AVC wise and such. Sort of taking a break for now. But there will be more eventually!

EDIT: I forgot to post the obligatory picture of the radio glowing in the dark! The logging dial is dark because I didn't have enough #47 bulbs somehow! At least, not in my "Bulbs" drawer. I'm sure I can dig some up somewhere.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 12:17 pm 

Looks good Towble!!

These old paper weights are great band cruisers, too bad the bands have been shutting down for the last few decades. Hope you get many hours of fun out of your NEW toy.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 5:21 am 

Thanks, Mike! And yes, it is a shame about the bands. It seems even since my days with my Grundig S350, ten years ago, that things have quieted down a lot.

Here are a few more pics of the SP-600, including what I consider to be an obligatory shot of the dial. One of my favorite dials to see! On a more or less unrelated note, I also really love the BC-348 dial.

You can see I did manage to find two more #47 bulbs for the logging dial.

As well as band cruising, I've been practising my Morse with the Koch method. People say to dispense with writing out what you're listening too once you've gotten all the characters down pat. I can't argue with that. Five minutes of writing and my hand cramps up something terrible! Maybe I'm just out of shape. I suppose the writing is easier at the word level rather than letters. Less repetitive as well.

I've always thought that it would've been cool to do that as a job in the military or ship to shore or something, but it seems I wouldn't be able to handle it.

I'll be surprised looking back if I ever do get the hang of this. I can't think of anything I've ever attempted that seemed this difficult. But I'm gonna keep trying.

That's enough rambling for tonight I think. Back on topic, I don't know how active I will be on this thread for the next while. I'm still waiting on some tube extenders to really dig into the alignment. The RF/AF meter is working now. I think it was just dirty connectors on the meter itself. Whether or not it's accurate, I have no idea. I don't rely on meters much anyway. :P

-Eric

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 4:28 pm 

Nice job, Eric. You're right about that dial, it's a beauty.

Just a word of encouragement about the code based on my experience (admittedly long ago).

Like you're experiencing, I can remember thinking it wasn't going to happen and then rather suddenly it seemed to click and fall into place all at once.

Don't give up. It will happen.

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 8:24 pm 

Yes the dial does look very nice.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 11:37 pm 

WoodchuckTN wrote:
Just a word of encouragement about the code based on my experience (admittedly long ago).

Like you're experiencing, I can remember thinking it wasn't going to happen and then rather suddenly it seemed to click and fall into place all at once.

Don't give up. It will happen.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I think I'm just too impatient. It's been a while since I taught myself something new and I need to understand that it's not going to just come to me right away. It's gonna take effort and lots of practise.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:52 pm 

Eric,
Having contracted a pretty good head cold a few days ago and not feeling like playing in the shop, I decided to work on re-learning the code again, spurred on somewhat by our earlier discussion.

To accomplish this, I went back to a web site I'd found some time ago that uses the Koch method, which is highly recommended by many.

After using it again for a couple of days now, I'd like to commend it as very helpful and easy to use.

Here's a link:

https://lcwo.net/

Good luck!

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:24 pm 

WoodchuckTN wrote:
Eric,
Having contracted a pretty good head cold a few days ago and not feeling like playing in the shop, I decided to work on re-learning the code again, spurred on somewhat by our earlier discussion.

To accomplish this, I went back to a web site I'd found some time ago that uses the Koch method, which is highly recommended by many.

After using it again for a couple of days now, I'd like to commend it as very helpful and easy to use.

Here's a link:

https://lcwo.net/

Good luck!

Thanks Chuck! I'm actually already registered on that site and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. It's slow going as I tend to miss some days here and there, but I'm not in a huge rush anyway.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2018 5:26 pm 

towble
You posted that you are still missing the IF transformer for the cathode follower in your SP-600-JX receiver.
I have three SP-600-JX versions but don't know which. One is operating but has an AGC problem.
Another is in need of more repairs but could be put in operating condition. The third is strictly a parts unit. Has parts missing from electronics to metal chassis and other metallic parts.

All that to say that I may have the transformer you need from one of the latter two described above.
I am thinking of placing one, two or maybe all three in the classifieds on this site.

Anyway, let me know exactly which transformer you need and it's location on the chassis and I will look for it. If I have it I will let you know.
I am new to Antique Radio Forums so I may not know what I am doing with these posts.
I will attempt to post pictures of the ones I have.
DAVIO

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2018 2:37 am 

Thanks for the offer, Davio, but I actually have the part I need. It turns out one of my parts radios had it. I don't know if I'll use it though.

My original intention was to ensure that the IF output was factory and then I would use it to feed a panoramic adaptor. But as it turns out, the original wiring takes the IF from a poor spot for that anyway. In the end, I'll likely modify that circuit a bit. Also, the Heathkit SB-620 panoramic adaptor I had planed to use with this radio will now be used with my growing Heathkit SB line:

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2018 3:14 am 

For a panadaptor, the IF feed must be taken from the plate of the mixer, at 455kc, before the crystal filter and IF transformers. This is how the panadaptor manages to present signals above and below the frequency currently being copied. Using the cathode follower output at the end of the IF strip will result in a panoramic display no wider than the current selected IF bandwidth. The cathode follower output is useful only for feeding a diversity combiner or fsk demodulator.
Use a 56K decoupling resistor to prevent the capacitance of the coax from loading the mixer plate circuit.
Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2018 5:42 am 

K7MCG wrote:
For a panadaptor, the IF feed must be taken from the plate of the mixer, at 455kc, before the crystal filter and IF transformers. This is how the panadaptor manages to present signals above and below the frequency currently being copied. Using the cathode follower output at the end of the IF strip will result in a panoramic display no wider than the current selected IF bandwidth. The cathode follower output is useful only for feeding a diversity combiner or fsk demodulator.

So I found out first hand. I knew where the IF should've been extracted from for a panoramic adaptor to work properly and I knew it wasn't right. But the manual said that the installed IF output could be used for a panoramic adaptor. Far be it for me to argue with a Hammarlund engineer! :P So I tried it, and obviously I found it to not be a useful IF signal.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 152 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8