Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yaesu FT-101B
PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 3:46 pm 

Steve,

The power supply setup is very different in all three of these transceivers (FT-101 through /F family, TS-520/820 family, and FT-901/902/101ZD). The 6146 finals used in the Kenwood and 101Z/901/902 like the higher voltage supplied by their power supplies while the FT-101 non Z would not. The rectifier setup and other voltages also differ between the three families of rigs. While you could redesign the rig somewhat to utilize the Kenwood transformer in either of the Yaesu families it won't be a drop-in solution and will require you to build your own rectifier board and probably do some other configuration changes to end up with close to the correct voltages needed by the Yaesu. I don't think it is worth it.

Almost all of the Yaesu gear from the tube type era has 100, 110, and 117 volt transformer taps and these must be set at 117 for typical U.S. household voltage. A lot of them were shipped set to 110 and some owners set them to 110 to get more power. This of course causes the voltage to be above spec and is more likely to lead to transformer saturation and damage.

I have probably been lucky never to run across a bad Yaesu power transformer so far and I have a bunch of Yaesu gear from the early 50 and 100 series separates, a FTDX-100 that really started the FT-101 era, up through the 101 separates and lovely FT-102 which was the last of the Yaesu tube final transceivers. I think a big part of the failure rate of the 101 series is so many of them were abused in CB service being run well beyond their design power limits under questionable operating conditions. The rigs run hot anyway and that sort of service increased the aging rate of the filter caps. If you have one with a good transformer and replace ALL of those filter caps with good 105 C high ripple rated types I would expect the transformer to do just fine. The only classic Kenwood rigs that easily ran on 11 meters without modification are the 599 twins, the receiver has 11 meter coverage stock and the transmitter will transceive off the receiver for 11 meters but these never caught on in that service like the FT-101 family which is one reason there are still so many nice 599 twins available that haven't been rode hard and put up wet :)

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 4:21 pm 

Thanks Roger. I'll cross this off of my list of things to look into.
I'm a very big fan of these hybrid rigs, especially the TS-820 and
-830's myself. Not as much experience with Yaesus of this period.
One more question; do you know if the FT-901DMs used the same
transformer as the FT-101 series? Have been unable to find an answer
to this one.

BTW, one of my TS-520's had been converted to 11m. I'm
staring at it as I write this. One of the 10m crystals was replaced
with one that will cover 11m and an AM filter was subbed in.
Someone went to a lot of trouble but other than these mods
(since removed) the rig is in near mint condition with no signs
of abuse and the original finals. Not all CB'ers were hacks!
Steve

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 4:52 pm 

Steve,

The FT-901/902 transformers are different from the FT-101 series and although the FT-101ZD transformer is very similar to the FT-901/902 transformers they aren't the same although I do recall reading that some production used a universal transformer that worked in either set and it is likely that Yaesu adopted a unitized design for later production to cut costs.

The FT-101ZD bears little relation to the other FT-101 series radios and is a slightly cost reduced version of the FT-901/902 series.

I agree with you about the Kenwood hybrid series which are excellent radios and when the TS-820 came out with its beautiful National HRO inspired dial I thought it was one of the most attractive rigs out there.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 9:33 pm 

Awww nuts! Thanks for the info Roger. I'm not going to give
up on these but at least I now know what to look for.
Steve

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2