Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 24, 2018 4:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Johnson Ranger question
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 1:59 am 

At the risk of being flogged... Does anyone know if Johnson ever produced a SSB converter for the Ranger?? I'm ready for my 50 lashes!!! OUCH!! Ross

Post subject: Re: Johnson Ranger question
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:39 am 

The SSB adapter they made was designed to easily hook up to the Valiant II and could be connected to the Valiant 1 and Viking 500 without great difficulty. It is driven by the VFO and the Valiant II had some additional temperature compensation to increase VFO stability. The Valiant 1 and 2 and the 500 have provisions for switching the final amp to class AB1 and an input for an external SSB exciter.

With the Ranger you would need to make changes to allow the final to run in AB1 for use with a SSB adapter and to switch back to class C for AM and preferably for CW also. if you use the Johnson SSB adapter you would also have to provide either an external VFO or route output from the internal VFO to the adapter.

The good news is the Johnson adapter is the filter type so it is much easier to set up than the phasing type in the Johnson Pacemaker. It does use three of the now expensive 7360 sheet beam tubes but there are some reasonable substitutes. I have one with my Valiant II transmitter.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 3:46 am 

Thanks for the info, Rodger, So, how available are the adapters? Do I need to mortgage the house?? The only reason I'm interested is that my other rigs won't do 160(ART will but no ssb, T-368...no ssb, and the AN/URC-35A won't do 160 either) So, in the interest of not buying another complete rig... Thanks and 73 Ross W1EKG

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 12:51 pm 

Ross,

The Viking SSB adapter is scarce, expensive when found, and it will NOT do 160 meters either. I suspect that you could buy a good working Yaesu FT-101, TS-520S, or TS-820 for less than an unknown condition Viking SSB adapter with its often missing power supply. The much less expensive and readily available Heathkit SB-10 doesn't cover 160 either.

Another option that does show up somewhat frequently is the Dentron 160 meter transverter which will provide 160 meter transmission (and reception) with an 80 meter rig, provides about 60 watts output from a single 6146 tube. But it will probably cost as much as a FT-101.

Another good option is the Drake T-4X which will operate AM, CW, and SSB. It requires a power supply and a range crystal for 160 (12.6 Mhz.) but can operate on any of the ham bands or almost any other frequency between 160 and 10 meters with the proper range crystal to cover the 500 Khz. range. The earlier T-4X and T-4XB are less expensive than the T-4XC and there is very little operation difference between the oldest and newest versions; there were a lot of changes in receivers but the T-4X had pretty much the same performance and feature set from the first through the last.

The best reason for buying a Johnson SSB adapter is because you have a matching Valiant II. It is more of a "complete the setup piece" than something you would buy just to get a vintage rig on SSB.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:26 pm 

Hi Rodger, Good points and well taken!! I'll start looking for a vintage rig that will do 160 on ssb. I have AM covered. Thanks for the info!! 73 Ross W1EKG

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:51 pm 

Ross,

I know you're not looking for a complete rig, but what about a CE-20A (and possibly the converted BC-358 receiver/VFO)?
You could easily drop it on 160M SSB, pad it, and use it to drive the Valiant or 500, maybe even the Ranger, or just use it by itself or possibly with an amp...
If you do find the SSB adapter, the 7360's can be rewired for the more common 6JH8's (I have a good stock of both, I jealously guard my 7360's!).
Just my two cents worth... Good Luck!

-Tom

PS: Currently going through 160M purgatory here: One of my 820S's isn't liking LSB, the other randomly loses receiver audio and suddenly shifts 2-3 k/c, and the 520SE simply refuses to do anything. Bah. -T

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 3:02 pm 

Back in the day Johnson owners often used the much less expensive
Heathkit SB-10 SSB adaptor. I've been looking for a Johnson
SSB adaptor myself for quite sometime and can confirm what Roger said.
They are rare.
Steve

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 3:10 pm 

Steve,

The SB-10 is a good alternative and it can work very well. If you only operate LSB or USB you can favor the setup for one or the other (often makes sense for those who only operate vintage SSB on 80 and 40) and set up that way the sideband suppression of the SB-10 is pretty equivalent to a filter rig. It isn't bad with the compromise setup but focusing upon one sideband it produces beautiful output.

Tom,

You have been cursed :) Those Kenwood hybrids are some of the most reliable rigs out there. Hopefully the problems are simple and easy to resolve.

That is a good suggestion about the CE gear and it is an all-mode classic that covers 160. With the CE gear that generates the SSB signal and then hetrodynes it to frequency you could also borrow the notch filter idea from the Gonset GSB-100. Gonset used a single crystal filter, similar to that in vintage receivers, tuned to notch the carrier frequency providing excellent carrier suppression with less need to adjust the carrier balance controls during warmup like other phasing rigs. I am surprised none of the other manufacturers borrowed the idea. It won't work with the simpler phasing circuits, like the SB-10, which generates output directly at the output frequency but can be very useful in the type that generate the signal at one frequency and then convert it.

I haven't read it closely but some of the old literature discusses using classic class C rigs with SSB adapters and some found success keeping the drive level set where the final was operating in a fairly linear portion of the curve even though it was biased for class C. I think this was more of a curiosity than a practical approach.

There is a classic line in Michael Crichton's book, "Jurassic Park", where one of the characters observes that too much effort is put into the question of whether or not we can create something rather than whether or not we should create something. That same thought often applies to our society of vintage gear aficionados.

Rodger WQ9E