Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 14, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tempo Digital Display with Nixie tubes info UPDATE, IT'S DOA
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 9:06 pm 

I have a Nixie Tube Tempo Display for use on Ham radios with a 5 MHz to 5.5 MHz vfo. This set is dead and has been hacked up to the point of mass confusion. I can't Google up ANY info on this unit. On the back there is a tag with "DFD 1400". The front shows 80 through 10 meters in seven steps. The two LED indicators show "NOR and REV" not usb and lsb like the newer ones. I need a schematic at least. Any help? Thanks, Carl

Last edited by Cwebs on Jan Sat 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tempo Digital Display with Nixie tubes info needed
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 9:32 pm 

I believe those were made by Spectronics and sold under the Henry and Tempo names also. They made a series of different but very similar displays for popular Trio/Kenwood, Yaesu, and Tempo radios. I have one that came with a FT-101 and it is a low cost alternative to the one Yaesu sold and the construction quality is pretty poor.

I suspect that all of the Spectronics/Henry/Tempo models are very similar no matter which radio it was sold for so if you find one under any of those brands designed for a Yaesu, Kenwwod, or Tempo radio it should get you off to a good start. Note that you CANNOT switch displays between these radios because different conversion schemes were used however I suspect that the basic Spectronics design didn't change much between applications so any schematic should give you enough information to troubleshoot it however its main value may just be the Nixie displays themselves which have gotten rather pricey.

Note that some of these get there band information from the radio (I believe yours is one) while others require that data via a switch. All need a healthy level of drive from the VFO to function.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 1:25 am 

Thanks Rodger for the info. I have spent an couple hours searching and still find nothing that will help. Only user manuals with no schematic or even shows the inside. In side there is only a 12.6 vac center taped transformer. So I have to find where the Hi voltage for the tubes comes from. The transformer might have also been changed in the hack job. I haven't pulled the board out yet spending the all my time trying to find any info. There is a power transistor on back with no markings. I think it's a 5 volt regulator. All the wires are pulled off that also. The search goes on. Carl

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 2:28 am 

Carl,

I checked and the only thing I have from Spectronics is the manual found on Bama for the Collins version.

It was common back then for small companies not to provide any service information or details in order to make it more difficult for someone to steal the design.

I have a Spectronics DD-1 for Yaesu with Nixie readouts that I can take photos of the inside if that will help.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 8:33 am 

I have never seen any Spectronics schematics or service related info for any of their outboard digital displays. Most of the digital logic and display drivers are fairly textbook common. However, it's the interface circuitry to the specific rig that is unique.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 1:53 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Carl,

I have a Spectronics DD-1 for Yaesu with Nixie readouts that I can take photos of the inside if that will help.

Rodger WQ9E

That would be a big help. The low voltage supply is ripped out and the wires to the regulator are disconnected. The transformer only has 12.6 vct so I don't think that is correct. In the worst case I have the tubes, counter, and driver ICs to use to make a counter.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

I will post up a photo later today.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 3:44 pm 

Here are the interior photos from the DD-1, these are fairly low res shots to meet forum requirements. This link will take you to a folder on my Canon image site with full sized high quality jpg files. They can be downloaded from there but the files are large (15 and 11 meg respectively) so depending upon connection speed it may not be fast.

These are incandescent display tubes in mine (Numitrons), not Nixie (gas discharge type), which is the reason for no high voltage transformer.

Link: https://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/cp/FFfPQVWuKDE

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
AQ9I0835 small.JPG
AQ9I0835 small.JPG [ 212 KiB | Viewed 899 times ]
AQ9I0836 small.JPG
AQ9I0836 small.JPG [ 121.27 KiB | Viewed 899 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:55 pm 

Thanks Rodger. Those pictures helped. The bridge diode area is burned out and two diodes were standing up in there place. All the traces are gone for about a one inch square area top and bottom. The Yellow and red wires to the regulator were disconnected and I couldn't figure where they went. That area is also gone. I shouldn't have any problem in this area now. I hope the regulator is good. The Nixie tubes are "DA-1300". Looking them up now. Carl

PS: The Da-1300 and not nixie tubes! They are 7 segment in a glass tube. I didn't see ten connection points on the board. Now we know why no hi voltage!

Last edited by Cwebs on Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:58 pm 

You are welcome and you have Numitron displays also so no HV needed.

Good luck on getting it going again.

Some of those IC's have really bad lettering, they look worse than the counterfeit Chinese stuff on Ebay :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:53 pm 

Rodger, I downloaded the pic from your Cannon sight and That really shows me the traces. Great work and thanks again, Carl

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:56 pm 

Carl,

You are welcome and I hope that this does help you get your display back in operation.

It was no problem taking the images for you. I have been working my way through calibrating lenses to the new camera body and the Spectronics photos gave me a chance to do that with the macro lens. Not only vintage radios need calibration :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 8:37 pm 

Little update. I rebuilt the bridge diode area and missing traces. I have taking the unit completely apart. The TO-3 regulator was in backwards and both pins were shorted against the heat sink. Removed TO-3 to find out it is a transistor and not a regulator. I might try a 7805 to get unit working while I wait for the mail. I believe the VR was 3 amp. If this thing energizers I will be surprised. Really butchered up but a challenge. All I can do is laugh. The PC board is crap. The traces lift off VERY easily so be ware. I hope the person that worked on this learned something. LOL, Carl

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:28 pm 

Looking at the circuit board it does appear that device is an ancestor of modern 3 terminal regulators. As far as I can see one lead goes directly to the plus output of the supply, another to ground, and the third would have to be the reduced/regulated output voltage so it doesn't have the typical base drive circuit of a transistor used in a pass regulator unless I am overlooking something in the photo. What was the part number on the original part?

It is good that the previous "expert repair technician" arranged the pins to short to ground rather than just having the input and output pins short together since that would likely have taken out several ICs.

The Yaesu version I used for taking photos is working fine but I also have a later version with LED displays designed for use with Kenwood gear and it does nothing; I haven't ever bothered to look at it. It is somewhat fitting since Kenwood's own early digital displays were problematic. I went through the recommended Kenwood service procedure for my TS-820 (using bare wire to repair the flaky printed through holes in the circuit board) but it still was only operational during certain parts of the turn on cycle. I took it out, checked my work and re-soldered a couple points that appeared questionable but there was no change. In frustration I used a heat gun to reflow the solder and the board has worked fine since that time in my TS-820.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:49 pm 

Hi Rodger, There are no marking on the transistor. The yellow wire was hooked from the bridge + to the base and the red wire was emitter to ICs +5 vdc trace. And Collector was grounded. I don't see how that would have worked. I found a 5 volt 5 amp in TO-3 for 2 bucks, so that is on the way. But I now see why the diodes were burned out. And like you said I hope the short protected the ICs. So it's onward. I now have $9 invested! Carl

Post subject: Re: Tempo Digital Display with Nixie tubes info UPDATE, IT'S
PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 4:10 pm 

Final update. I applied power to it only to find that most of the ICs are fried. So it is a parts chassis' I only paid $7 bucks for it. At first look I thought it had Nixie tubes and that is why I wanted it. It was a mess when I opened it up but hoped it was savable. Oh well, on to the next project . Carl

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

Carl,

I don't think Numitrons are as long-lived as Nixie tubes but they would make for a nice clock. If it is possible to dim them then they could last for a very long time and as long as the segment drivers don't object then dimming shouldn't be an issue..

Of course check the segments before you get too far into a project because the previous owner may have destroyed them also.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Sun 28, 2018 6:06 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I have a number of DR2000 Numitrons. If anyone needs some, please PM me.

Regards,

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 7:17 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Carl,

I don't think Numitrons are as long-lived as Nixie tubes but they would make for a nice clock. If it is possible to dim them then they could last for a very long time and as long as the segment drivers don't object then dimming shouldn't be an issue..

Of course check the segments before you get too far into a project because the previous owner may have destroyed them also.

Rodger WQ9E

Two of the six Numitron display tubes have internal shorts lighting two or more segments. But four are usable? The beat goes on. Carl