Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 21, 2018 4:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage ham radio loudspeaker
PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:58 am 

Recently i got an mint beautiful preserved metal cabinet ham radio speaker
original paint and with 10inch Jensen PM inside.
It works perfect and its not damaged whatsoever.
It was used in Yugoslav army with Collins 51J4 receiver as i ve been told
by his previous owner. i tried it on my home stereo,it sounds great.
Need some more info about it if possible.
Best regards.
Dejan Klaic.
Serbia.

Attachments:
jens.jpg
jens.jpg [ 38.94 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Post subject: Re: Vintage ham radio loudspeaker
PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 1:37 pm 

It looks a lot like the speaker used with the Hammarlund HQ-129X shown in the lower photograph here:
http://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_ham_radi ... akers.html

Is there any internal cabinet insulation?
Any number or ID on it?
How many conductors is the speaker cable?

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 3:39 pm 

This one is bigger ,have 10inch Jensen PM speaker ,here is also picture from inet with some older Hammarlund.
Can send you video how it work and sounds but need email.

Attachments:
jens2.jpg
jens2.jpg [ 69.31 KiB | Viewed 591 times ]
jens3.jpg
jens3.jpg [ 89.21 KiB | Viewed 591 times ]
jens4.jpg
jens4.jpg [ 88.28 KiB | Viewed 591 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 3:58 pm 

This one looks to be repainted but looks like yours.

Attachments:
speaker1.jpg
speaker1.jpg [ 61.33 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 4:51 pm 

Here is a good site showing a lot of the receivers and their matching speakers: http://www.virhistory.com/ham/speakers.htm

It looks very similar but not identical to a Hammarlund model.

I have seen speakers like that the OP has several times and I suspect there was a "generic" seller of these back in the 1950s. Probably one of the ham retailers sold them back in the day as a lower cost alternative to the radio manufacturer's speaker since we all know hams were (and are) notoriously cheap which is why so many receivers were purchased new without the matching speaker :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 5:12 pm 

Bud Products, Insuline, and other metal working companies that sold radio chassis, cabinets and racks also offered generic loudspeaker cabinets and rack panels in their product lines. These generic products were often much cheaper than the stylized speaker cabinets offered by some radio manufacturers. Many hams (and other users) would buy a generic cabinet and a good Jensen speaker and apply the money saved to a more expensive radio.

-Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 5:27 pm 

I was amazed when i heard it working on my stereo,simply Jensen driver is an wideband,quite a lot bass and also treble ,so it plays music very well.
Dont know how to attach video so to present its performance.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 5:51 pm 

Back then Jensen was known for pretty good quality stuff and although I don't think they were quite in the class of JBL and Altec Lansing they along with University pretty well rounded out the big four U.S. companies that produced their own drivers in addition to complete speaker systems.

I think Chuck perfectly identified the original source of these speakers.

It is surprising today how much is charged for matching speakers and when I bought my Yaesu FT-1000D the matching speaker was around $200 and that was a long time ago. I did break down and buy one and still have the matching pair.

Accessory items are huge profit generators and some things never change. I use a wired LAN connection to dump images from my camera to the PC and I didn't want to burn battery power during this sometimes extended process of transferring a few thousand large image files. When I bought my first Canon professional series DSLR in 2005 the AC adapter and DC coupler were included with the camera body. A couple of generations ago they became optional accessories and the adapter plus coupler (basically an empty battery case with power cord to the adapter) were around $125. For the current model Canon sells the two necessary parts separately and wants $389 for the AC adapter and another $230 for the required DC coupler. I found the AC system for the previous EOS 1DX model works fine with my 1DX mark II with the only limitation of maximum shooting speed is limited to 12 instead of 14 frames per second. I don't shoot using AC power so that is of no importance to me. I found an unused prior version AC adapter and coupler for $27 so that is my version of buying the non-matching speaker to save money :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:00 pm 

I have the push-pull National NC-200 with a factory Jensen speaker. The speaker contains the necessary field coil (choke) for the power supply and 5-prong (shielded) cable.
In cases like these, you almost had to purchase the dedicated speaker with the receiver. Both cabinets are a matching 2-tone gray with brightwork for trim.
I believe that having the available factory accessories and options helps to complete the ensemble.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 10:21 pm 

I also own one of these speakers. I have never been able to find any details.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 10:44 pm 

There was a guy who used to bring a lot of VERY heavily used vintage school audio/video gear to hamfests and he sold a bunch of these speakers at one of them. I suspect that quite a few were sold into that market since they are ruggedly built and were probably fairly inexpensive. I have one and it has far better audio quality than a lot of the speakers that were sold with 1970s era ham transceivers. Unless you looked at it closely it does look very much like the early Hammarlund speakers and with the proper paint it would go with most of the vintage gear.

The same seller also had several speakers that looked very much like the odd little angular enclosed speaker sold with the RME-69 but those were sold before I had a chance to pick up a "counterfeit" to go with my RME-69. There were painted what I have come to think of as "school audio/visual brown" but otherwise appeared to be the same style and size as the RME speaker.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 12:20 am 

Many schools or other institutions had PA systems installed in the '50's. During modernization, like asbestos ceiling tile removal, many of these systems were parted out and available for sale.
I have a couple of very nice-sounding 12" Stromberg-Carlson speakers and wood enclosures with multiple impedance taps for the voice coil including the 70.7 volt PA terminals. They work great for the 500Ω, 8Ω and other boatanchor standards:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant- ... ker_system

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 7:45 pm 

Definitely sold as a match for the HQ-129X, also HQ-120, and a couple of SP-200 models. I suspect the maker is Bud who likely made the OEM rack cabinets for some of the Hammarlund SP-200 series. Therefore I'd guess that it may also have been available directly from Bud but have not yet seen it in a Bud advert in Allied or other catalog. It is a tough well-built cabinet so I'm not surprised the speaker was used with later radios even if not supplied by the radio manufacturer.

-- Rich