Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 22, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trimmer Capacitor - Shortwave Radio
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 3:10 am 

Hi,

I am trying to fix a 1982 Panasonic DR - Q63 / RF - 6300 L shortwave Radio. I am having issues locating trimmer capacitors. I will list the part numbers below, but all the parts end with AGS. Would anyone know what these letter stand for or mean?

Part No.:
RCV1PX10AGS
RCV1PX20AGS
RCV1PX28
RCV1PX30AGS

Post subject: Re: Trimmer Capacitor - Shortwave Radio
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 2:59 pm 

You might have more luck if you can locate a website with a large number of Japanese vintage radio fans. These are Panasonic specific numbers but someone with familiarity with Japanese production/component sourcing from that era may have knowledge of AGS, probably it is a material spec.

The "best" trimmer caps are good air dielectric types but tend to be large and aren't needed for most applications. Most common are ceramic types although PTFE and other film types became common (and sometimes problematic) in later years.

Trimmer caps of the RF-6300 era have good reliability so it would be unusual for one and certainly for all to be problematic. Sometimes the rotating contact will build up a little corrosion on these and a few rapid rotations will often clear that issue. I have a RF-6300 that works very well except for the digital display which has some segment issues requiring interpretation if I use it. It has been used in the basement for years.

Rodger WQ9E