Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 12:42 pm 

Thank you again Alan, for providing this forum and getting it to a better server. I am very satisfied with the service, format and function.

One nice aspect to me of using this forum is the lack of spam. That is very important to me. I vote to keep the anti spam function in any case. Is there a real need to upgrade to a new level of forum software? What would it take to update the anti spam function for it?

Regards, Larry

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:52 pm 

Alan wrote: Just f.y.i.: If you're reading this you're seeing the new server. I just noticed that DNS were I'm at is still pointing to the old server, even though the change was made more than a day ago.

How to Flush the DNS on an Android Phone.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flush ... gAb2pKyoAw

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:44 pm 

Alan,

I do not post much but have found this forum and site a hugely valuable resource. That is due to your hard work and the willingness of all of our members to share their wisdom, experience, and opinions. If your spam filter works 100% then please do not change the format of this forum. I for one enjoy the lack of spam and echo previous sentiment that "If it works don't fix it". Congratulations on the transition to a new server and thank you again for your dedication to this great hobby.

Tom

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 7:25 pm 

A note about software upgrades.

My job, before I recently retired, was to manage the computers and servers at work and to keep important software up to date.

You can get into trouble if you run old versions of software. Hackers sometimes find previously unknown vulnerabilities in software and start exploiting them. The software maintainers will then quickly supply patched versions of their latest software with the vulnerabilities fixed. Most maintainers will also provide a patched version of their previous release and some will supply patched versions of even earlier releases. But if you are running an old enough release, you have to do an emergency upgrade. And if you are running a very old release this can be really difficult as there will now be very many changes to compensate for.

It is unusual for new releases of software to remove important functionality, but unfortunately this sometimes happens. Sometimes someone will supply an add on to restore the missing functionality. You could do some searching and see if something is available.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 8:33 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:

You can get into trouble if you run old versions of software. Hackers sometimes find previously unknown vulnerabilities in software and start exploiting them.

Hackers are always looking for exploitable vulnerabilities, regardless of the age of the S/W. In fact they may be more active on newer versions, simply because it presents a new challenge.

I would again encourage Alan to leave well enough alone.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 8:49 pm 

Considering how well this forum software seems to work, IMHO the risks of moving to a new format outweigh any potential benefits.

Maybe that analysis changes over time? Maybe not.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 10:59 pm 

fifties wrote:
Hackers are always looking for exploitable vulnerabilities, regardless of the age of the S/W. In fact they may be more active on newer versions, simply because it presents a new challenge.

It is common for a vulnerability to be in versions of software released over many years. The vulnerability is often discovered by hackers trying to hack into the newest version. But once found, all versions with the vulnerability can be hacked into. A lot depends on the maintainers policy on support for old versions. They do usually publish their policy.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 12:28 am 

Thank you much Allan and to all those that keep ARF up and running, a great job and dedication for its members.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 12:44 am 

Just noticed this site runs pagefair. Watch out folks, Allen knows if you are running an ad-blocker :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 1:03 am 

The way I can tell how lighting fast this new server is is by clicking on "view your posts" at top right.
That has to go into the data base and sort through all posts ever and sort out just mine. This used to take a long time or a little while, but never quick.
Now... it only takes a blazingly ultra fast femto second

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 2:34 pm 

WB7ANG wrote:
Watch out folks, Allen knows if you are running an ad-blocker

I run one, but I have it disabled on ARF in part because I have done business with, and will undoubtedly do additional business with, Alan's sponsors.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 11:06 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
The way I can tell how lighting fast this new server is is by clicking on "view your posts" at top right.
That has to go into the data base and sort through all posts ever and sort out just mine. This used to take a long time or a little while, but never quick.
Now... it only takes a blazingly ultra fast femto second

+1
that has been my metric for quite some time. the forum runs faster now than it ever has in my 7+ years here.

As for ad-blockers, why bother here? the ads are relevant and convenient to click on---kinda like bookmarks. If you do have an ad-blocker, and you have a pang of guilt, just send in a donation....;)

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 1:48 am 

^ way ahead of yah there pix :)

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 10:16 pm 

Excellent job Alan!! My visits here are much more enjoyable without the waiting and snafu's.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:59 pm 

it is absolutely superb

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:04 am 

Great job Allen. My only suggestion is one Ive made on other forums with a for sale trade forum,and that would be a larger private message capacity. If you do a lot of trading or private assistance on other issues 100 messages isnt a lot if you dont want to delete a lot of those older messages for reference.
Not a big problem for me here but I suggest it for the benefit of others.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:08 am 

I use the "Saved Messages" folder to hang on to PM's that I might need later. That folder also has a 100-message limit.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:56 am 

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 8:37 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
WB7ANG wrote:
Watch out folks, Allen knows if you are running an ad-blocker

I run one, but I have it disabled on ARF in part because I have done business with, and will undoubtedly do additional business with, Alan's sponsors.

I had no idea that ads were being run here. I just turned off Adblocker for this site.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 16, 2018 4:36 am 

These ads are no problem. I've always allowed them to sit there. Nothing in your face, just there if you need something, and these sponsors help keep the site alive.

Thanks Alan, for all the hard work.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 63 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next