Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seems like a lot of Collins gear for the price.
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 5:59 pm 

Is this worth grabbing? I probably wouldn’t keep most of it, but I suspect the rack alone would make someone happy.
https://yakima.craigslist.org/ele/6508953546.html

Don

Post subject: Re: Seems like a lot of Collins gear for the price.
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 6:23 pm 

Correction: "Is this worth forklifting?"

Norm

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 6:27 pm 

400-500 lbs? I have a Volvo wagon :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 11:08 pm 

Or take the stuff out of the rack and make two trips! Would make a cool Collins vintage ham station if that is what you wanted. Might make a little money parting it out depending on the condition. Condition condition condition.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 1:39 am 

Without seeing it - looks like a decent price. Yes, grab the rack too!

KD2AZI

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:54 am 

If the equipment is in good condition, that's a good deal. the 32v2 is worth $700, the cv591 $450, the r390 $300.

Regards, Larry

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 5:29 pm 

Looks like a great deal if it's local to you.

Who complains about getting good equipment at a very good price.

Al

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:49 pm 

I'm not crazy about the 32V2. Make sure it works 100% before you include it in your purchase. They are very, very heavy (105 pounds) and difficult to work on. They use a 4D32 in the final vs 6146's used in Heathkit DX100's, Viking II's and Valiants. I sold mine and bought a Viking II. It is 35 pounds lighter has very good quality parts and is easy to work on.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:57 pm 

Thanks for your input guys. I haven't heard back for the seller. So I assume the collection has been sold. The seller is in a part of the state where there's no longer much of a ham community. I mostly wanted to keep the collection from being junked. I've got plenty of receivers and transmitters in the queue for repairs.

Don

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:38 pm 

Don't feel bad. It might have spent 30 years in a damp basement or barn and the backside might be all crusted up. Most people might not store something that big and bulky in ideal conditions especially if not using it.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:03 pm 

Thanks for the "heads up"... Actually within driving distance to me, so I responded to the ad.
Dropped my callsign in the reply, I may have worked the guy. I'll let you know what I find out.

-Tom

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 4:32 pm 

Yea, well I am still a pessimist with some of this stuff. What you don't see can quash the deal. Heartbreaking really, to see something that could be quite nice and find it is a mouse castle or the interior all rusted up.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 4:46 pm 

Tom, good luck. I got a short reply from the seller on Sunday saying that the gear was his dad’s and last operated in 2010. On Monday I asked for pictures, and I have not heard since. It could be good stuff. I’m still looking for a 310b-but that’s not part of this collection.

Don

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 3:03 pm 

Hi Don!

I hope that you're doing well!
Thanks for the update... He answered me back as well. Someone is coming out on Saturday to look at, and presumably buy the stuff.
If they DON'T, red flags, and I get a chance to look at it Sunday.
I have dealt with the guy before. He was at Winterfest several years ago, and I had a nice, long series of conversations with him, helping him to price his Dad's stuff.
I wound up buying a Gonset G28 from him (it actually worked when plugged in, but needs restoration).
Unfortunately, I missed the Technical Materiel Company stuff! One of the other guys got that stuff. Didn't have the money for it at the time. It is what it is.
So, we'll wait until later in the weekend for a possible call. No biggie either way. I have a KWM-2A and full sets of accessories to put on Epay, so we'll do that if we don't get the call.
And I'll continue working on my BC-610 project. I'm currently working on recapping and cleaning the BC-614 speech amp.
I have had several people ask me to document the whole process, as there will be things not to do, and other things that will make it easier, so we're taking a LOT of pictures and keeping a running log. Look for a very long post here as this goes on.
Are we going to see you on 75M AM sometime soon? It's scary here, as I'm actually getting on often enough so that people are remembering my name without having to look it up...

73, -Tom

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 3:08 pm 

Don,

Thanks for reminding me! I just emailed one of the locals that has at least one of EVERYTHING.
Hopefully, he has one he'll be willing to part with, or have a lead on one.
I'll let you know what he says.

-Tom

Don F wrote:
I’m still looking for a 310b-but that’s not part of this collection.

Don

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 3:42 pm 

FYI-
There is a big estate sale with a bunch of Ham and shop stuff, on the west side of Yakima, starting today. Apparently not related to your Collins seller.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/gms/ ... 48061.html
best regards,
Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 4:03 pm 

Saw that as well.. The R-70 looks interesting, while the pile of "radio" stuff looks like older HP audio oscillators and signal generators.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 6:04 am 

Don,

I have inquiries out on the 310B: The one fellow sold his a while back, but they think they have a line on one, waiting to have that confirmed. I'll PM you should I get something solid.

73, -Tom

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 6:42 am 

Thx Tom. Good luck with the Yakima gear.

Don

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:02 pm 

OK Folks! I made the run to the Sunnyside area and picked up the loot.
The wife and I had a GREAT drive, with nice Spring conditions: Started out at the house about 0700, right on schedule, and went from a nice 48 degrees to about 32 at the top of White Pass (along with several feet of snow), then back to a beautiful, sunny East side day running about 60 degrees... Had a real treat stopping at Miner's Drive In in Union Gap on the way back. We always enjoy that. The place was flat out packed (300 people) after church, and with the nice, warm weather.
We made it safely home in just under 11 hours round trip, 330 miles.
This was the end of a large collection. The fellow said they had already sold about 90% of the collection.
This was the SK's everyday gear: Collins 32V2, Collins R-390A, genuine military Panoramic adapter (weighs a TON!), a cool rack mounted 0-3 Amp RF ammeter, Silver eagle D-104, and shockingly, a genuine LS-206 dual 600 Ohm speaker set! I priced the LS-206, and was shocked at how rare they are... Mulling over keeping it, or selling for megabucks.
Also included was a HB 160-10M kilowatt amp using 4CX250B's, a HB 2 KW antenna tuner based on those Collins roller inductors with the ribbon changing spools, a nice HQ-129X, Hallicrafters Sky Champion (early RX), GenRad 650A impedance meter, CV-591A SSB adapter, Heathkit SB-10 SSB adapter Heathkit CW transmitter, Variacs, Simpson 260, two ME-165G power/SWR/dummy load wattmeters, odd Japanese step down transformer from 115 VAC to 100 VAC to run Nipponese equipment, spare tubes for the amp (lots of them!), spare roller inductors, some odd stuff that probably came out of Hanford, spares for the R-390A, more odd stuff (anyone need a GenRad model 6752-B Microphone Hummer?). Much more stuff that I can't recall right now.
The 32V2 has been modified, and is missing the safety covers. I'll undo the mods, I can probably fabricate the covers. I have a 32V3 I can use as a pattern. The worst mod was a small hole right on the top of the front panel to bring out a remote 90 degree shaft to actuate the Antenna Loading control on the TOP of the transmitter. A really crappy place to put something if you're going to rack mount the equipment!
The R-390A is missing the antenna relay. Fortuitously, I had just purchased one. I also have meters to replace the cheesy meters installed. Have not had the time to power it up yet.
The HQ-129X is NICE! It fired up after coming up to voltage slowly. I cleaned the band switch, need to test the tubes, print a manual, and put together a set of replacement capacitors for the paper foils, then it's either privately sold or off to Ebay, and the process of selling most of the stuff begins.
Will probably move everything but the CV-591A and the LS-206... I counted almost 10 R-390/390A's in the shop, so I'll most likely need both.

-Tom