Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 20, 2018 9:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters S-53 receiver
PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 10:31 pm 

Been hankering to do an old tube radio for a while. Talking with my dad, he misses the S-40B we had. I do too, something about the glow of those greed dials ;)

So decided to find one to restore. The S-40B's were a bit pricey and looking at the schematic, they seemed low-end. Saw this S-53 and it looks a bit newer. So am in the midst of restoration. Missing 2 knobs and looks mostly original. A few caps and resistors were replaced probably early '60s.

Used to do a few tube radios and a lot of guitar amps (usually 6L6;s with Swiss-cheese plates.) Worked in a car radio shop mid '70s. We did a few tube radios and used NOS paper caps as clients wanted original.

Of course anything new costs money. My gear is mostly for digital stuff. So Picked up an EMC model 500 sig gen (my function gen only goes to 1 mhz) and have a Precision 660 tube tester coming. Also found a isolation transformer (nice medical-grade toroid one.)

Checked things so far. Most resistors ok, coils ohm out. B+ is low, but hope it is fried 5Y3. 18 more caps need replacing. So waiting for parts :(

Attachments:
PICT1896A.jpg
PICT1896A.jpg [ 159.59 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters S-53 receiver
PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 10:46 pm 

Make sure you follow the proper schematic and alignment instructions for your S-53 since the S-53A and its manual are more commonly found and it has a lot of differences. The S-53 uses a 2.075 Mhz. IF with a loosely coupled pair of IF transformers following the mixer while the later A model uses a more conventional 455 Khz. IF. The original S-53 design was an attempt to achieve better image rejection, especially on 6 meters, without using a tuned RF stage while the later A model traded poorer image rejection for tighter selectivity.

You will find the original S-53 selectivity is fairly broad but congratulations upon finding the less common version of this receiver.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 10:56 pm 

Yes, I had assumed I could use my function gen for 455kHz. When I saw the 2.075mHz, I realized I needed an RF gen. I had planned on using harmonics for the dial calibration. Actually downloaded manual and ordered sig gen and counter before it came in. Schematic looks right so far.

Forgot, I also picked up a Heathkit S-118A frequency counter.

Should do better than the S40B. As I kid, I repaired it and never could get the top band working. I think the osc was weak but tubes were hard to get at the time (no shops near.)

Should work well enough. Maybe it will get my dad interested again and keep his mind busy..

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 11:51 pm 

Be careful, the low B+ may also be from leaky electrolytic or bypass caps. I wouldn't operate it until you can determine the cause. You don't want to burn anything up.
I would replace the filter and paper caps preemptively. Some resistors may have drifted high from age.
I liked these radios and they aren't that common nowadays. There isn't much activity on 6 meters anymore, but the lower bands should be OK.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 12:25 am 

Already replaced electrolytics and 2 grid caps but still waiting for parts. Found a few resistors way off.

Left RF rubes out and just rectifier and final with B+ to further stages disconnected. Only had 120V (dim bulb setup). Found dead paper cap on B+ hidden under amp tube socket. Now get 290 after amp heats up.

Get clicks on amp on switching phono input. So amp and both transformers ok (now power draw is correct.)

I'd normally recap all and test. However seller said he powered up and got no sound (he's just an estate sale guy.) I wanted to see if he burnt the transformers, coils, rectifier or final amp tubes. They seem ok. Now I can wait for parts and know I don't need to order expensive or had to find parts.

Most frustrating thing is I have 2 orders stalled in the Midwest by USPS. Heck, my local driver AGAIN forgot my 47uf/450v Nichicons were in his truck.