Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 19, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EH SCOTT , I could use some HELP???
PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 12:41 am 

I purchased this EH SCOTT radio from an older lady a few months ago for 100 dollars. Was it worth it?! Anyway, she told me that here son removed the amplifier section about 20 years or more ago to make room for a CD player, that I guess he intended on connecting to the speaker? This amplifier section is now supposedly stored in an old garage on here property that is filled to the rafters with junk. She told me she'll find it in 2 weeks and give it to me, this is going on for about three months! I've tried to contact her a few times now about this missing section and of course she hasn't found it. This will be my first attempt at restoring an EH Scott and I'm not even sure what model this is! Is it a philharmonic cabinet? I've seen radiodaze.com has new dials, but what about this amplifier section? Is this possible to find? Is missing section even called an amplifier section? Is the trim available anywhere? what model do I go by on nostalgia air? :roll:

Attachments:
EH_SCOTT_1.jpg
EH_SCOTT_1.jpg [ 146.55 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
EH_SCOTT_2.jpg
EH_SCOTT_2.jpg [ 157.51 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
EH_SCOTT_3.jpg
EH_SCOTT_3.jpg [ 93.89 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
EH_SCOTT_4.jpg
EH_SCOTT_4.jpg [ 144.05 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
EH_SCOTT_5.jpg
EH_SCOTT_5.jpg [ 92.81 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]

Post subject: Re: EH SCOTT , I could use some HELP???
PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 1:32 am 

Here is a link showing the missing amplifier. I hope she finds it for you.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58789

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 1:47 am 

The cable from the chassis is not connected to the speaker. It's definitely missing something that use to set right here.

Attachments:
EH_SCOTT_6.jpg
EH_SCOTT_6.jpg [ 97.64 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 1:59 am 

Yes that's right. The amplifier is also the power supply.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 1:43 am 

Yes is a Scott radio - the 30 tube PHILHARMONIC. You have the first version referred to as a "pointer dial" model.
Introduced 1937 and built well into 1938. Is feature laden. The receiver has 24 tubes including the two magic eye tubes flanking the dial. Your painted dial lettering has deteriorated. Radio Daze can provide a good replacement glass dial in the dial alpha list under "E H Scott".
The 6 tube amp/power supply is the same 23 inches long as the receiver width. Also chrome plated, but no tube shields.
Amp tube line up is two 5Z3 rectifiers and four 6L6 output tubes. (The earliest production used 83V rectifiers.tubes instead of 5Z3's).
Tube numbers are embossed on the tube sockets on the edges.
The Philharmonic amp looks very much like the earlier 23 tube Scott amp and the late version Scott Phantom amp, - so assure the amp uses FOUR 6L6 tubes.
A number of Scott cabinets were available at various prices. Yours is the WARRINGTON.
Go explore the Scott website http://ehscott.ning.com for discussion threads, and in the archive section, some technical information and also the 22 page owners manual for the pointer dial model..

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 12:41 pm 

You might go back to the seller of the radio. Offer to find the amplifier and power supply for the radio you bought in all the junk stored. Even pay some money to find the missing part. Then you have a Scott radio. Well worth the effort.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 8:24 pm 

You might find one on ebay. My guess is that it will cost a few hundred dollars for one with fair chrome. But you bought the radio for next to nothing, so you will still be ahead after you buy the amp. If you attend any radio auctions, one might turn up there. I've seen that now and then. They are out there, just keep looking.

Like Dave said, make sure what you buy is really for that set. It must have four 6L6 tubes (marked sockets for 6L6 tubes).
And have the sockets for the round plugs.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 2:23 am 

Thanks guys, nothing on E bay right now, thanks for the description of the amp / power supply section I need, I have it written down! ! I did register and post a "need a power supply / amp section" on the EH Scott Radio Enthusiasts website. I hope I can find one, the lady I bought the radio off of isn't going to help!

PostPosted: Jul Mon 31, 2017 11:38 pm 

Would this work? I know it's a bit pricey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-H-Scott-Tube- ... 3069271672

-Unknown

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 12:03 am 

I don't know, davep44 said I need the one with two 5Z3 rectifiers and four 6L6 output tubes. Would this style work, or can it be adapted to work?

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 12:35 am 

That amp has the wrong type of connectors.Just wait the right amp will show up on Ebay i have a early Philharmonic 30 BB-226 pointer dial.You need round connectors for the right amp it should have 2 5Z3s 4 6L6S with round cable connections.That set will take some time to restore many caps to replace and tubes to check and resistors to check.Plan on taking your time.The E H Scott site is best for manuals .Lots of cleaning and waxing to do as you restore it.Well worth it tho as the radio sounds very good and should pick up many stations.I did mine and it took me oh about 8 weekends to restore it too playing condition.Had help along the way too.Good Luck.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 03, 2017 5:05 am 

You got a screaming deal on that set even with the problems. It is the ultimate statement that Scott made for a mass produced consumer radio.

I hope you can find that amp chassis. I see way too many of these that have been purloined and used for guitar amps and other nonsense.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 12:46 am 

I hope that I can find the amp / power supply section, I'm going to keep searching and I'll be starting this project probably sometime in September regardless if I have the section or not!

PostPosted: Oct Sun 15, 2017 9:55 pm 

Does this amp/power supply section definitely use 5z3 rectifiers, I haven't seen a one amp/power supply come up on Ebay yet with 5z3 rectifiers, Can I use another amp/power supply section with the two 5u4s and the four 6L6 tubes? If not, can I modify one or can an amp/ power supply section be built? I'm NOT spending six hundred dollars plus shipping for this missing amp!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 16, 2017 2:54 am 

The similar appearance Power Supply/Amp with FOUR 6L6's and two 5U4's is the 1940 revision of the Philharmonic amp. Although not "correct" it is very close electrically and is a suitable and workable for your early Scott Philharmonic and the pedestal speaker you have. Same sockets as the original pointer dial Philharmonic receiver amp.
But avoid the very late version with Jones plugs unless you think it would be fun to deal with incompatible plugs and sockets.
Just be sure the the tube sockets have those tube numbers embossed on the tube sockets, because the late version Phantom amp starting 1940 looks the same at first glance, but it uses two 6L6's and two type 56 drivers instead of four 6L6's, has a smaller power transformer, etc and, so, is not suitable for your Philharmonic.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 17, 2017 9:39 am 

Take a $100 bill and show it to the lady, explain nicely that you will search for the amp in her shed while she watches if she likes, and that you'll put everything back or haul away any junk that she no longer wants from the shed. Cheaper than buying somebody else's amp.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 17, 2017 11:12 am 

davep44 wrote:
Just be sure the the tube sockets have those tube numbers embossed on the tube sockets, because the late version Phantom amp starting 1940 looks the same at first glance, but it uses two 6L6's and two type 56 drivers instead of four 6L6's, has a smaller power transformer, etc and, so, is not suitable for your Philharmonic.

Dave,
The 56 was an early version of the 6J5. Did Scott ever use 56's in these amps? I have always seen 6J5's in the Phantom amps. The Phantom amps were always recognizable to me at first glance because the 6J5's are notably smaller than the 6L6's.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 17, 2017 11:17 am 

wrnewton wrote:
Take a $100 bill and show it to the lady, explain nicely that you will search for the amp in her shed while she watches if she likes, and that you'll put everything back or haul away any junk that she no longer wants from the shed. Cheaper than buying somebody else's amp.

I totally agree. I would even up the ante if she resists. If you parted out the incomplete set you have, you could expect to get close to, or even over $1000.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 17, 2017 8:20 pm 

SCOTT --- Well, the 6 volt octal 6J5 is a triode like the 56.
But the 56 is a 6 pin 2.5 volt triode and was, indeed, used in earlier Scott models DELUXE of 1932- 34 and the FIFTEEN 1934-35 as an audio tube, an audio driver and an oscillator.
As for the later Scotts, the 6J5 was the common audio driver. The Philharmonics, Masterpiece and Sixteen 6J5 drivers were located on the receiver chassis. As you noted, the Phantom 6J5 drivers were located on the amp chassis. The earlier 19 and 20 tube Phantom amp's 6J5's were located on the amp chassis at the end opposite the power transformer... the two 6V6's were in the middle.
About January 1940, the Phantom amp was redesigned to use two 6L6's, the 6J5 drivers were relocated next to the two 6L6's in the middle, and rectifiers were upgraded to 5U4's (I suspect in anticipation of the greater demands of the 28 tube FM Phantom soon to be announced). The Philharmonic amp with its four 6L6's was also redesigned to use 5U4's at that time as well. The new Phantom amp chassis is now the same configuration and size as the Philharmonic and, so, it is insufficient to just observe smaller 6J5's and larger 6L6's clustered in the middle of the chassis to distinguish between the two amps. So, inspect the tube numbers embossed on the tube sockets to verify whether a Phantom or Philharmonic amp, because they are NOT interchangeable amps.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 18, 2017 12:25 am 

It is not in good cosmetic condition and is listed as a Phantom power supply but a substantially correct Philharmonic power supply is being offered for a reasonable price at the auction link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-used-rare-Sco ... Swv2RZytJm

Norman

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page 1, 2  Next