Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 19, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: De-ox contact spray cleaner
PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 8:48 am 

I highly recommend using products that do not leave a residue, I don't know if De-Oxit is one of them. This is my main reason to not use something like WD-40, that stuff is nasty and if you don't clean up all that residue, which is hard to do, after a while that spot will become a cesspool of mud as it attracts dust like a magnet. These sprays are only for cleaning contacts though they do sell sprays for cleaning boards which again, are unnecessary except for some specialized applications I guess. For cleaning boards use isopropyl alcohol, it's way cheaper, more appropriate and does not leave residue.

The biggest issue that I've had with WD-40 and I imagine other oily cleaners is that it will ruin radio circuits. I don't know if anyone else has had the experience but back when I was using it to clean contacts, on a few occasions it managed to seep on to RF circuitry on circuit boards and left AM and FM radios totally insensitive. Pretty much ruined them. I don't know if they sell it in the US but I use a product called silijet which leaves a dry kind of residue, it is silicon based and safe for plastic. I've seen how oxidation pretty much flakes off after it's applied. In any case always surround the switch or pot to be cleaned with paper towels to absorb any runoff.

Besides cleaning action the other issue is how long the contact stays clean after it's been sprayed, this is where oily cleaners might have the upper hand as the oily film they leave not only protects the surface of the contact but also migrates back to the where contact points would otherwise scratch off any dry film.

Anyway, I don't get why you're getting scared of spraying de-oxit into your receiver, i think sometimes risks end up getting overstated. Literally nothing will happen to it. Just control run off so it doesn't look messy and you'll be fine. Especially with these older sets you could probably pee on them and theyd be fine.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 10:21 am 

I have used Deoxit D5 for some years now, on band switches, and never had any issues with it. It seems better than most other types I can get over here but is not a long term solution. No cleaner / lube out there is going to be as most band switches have the plating worn off the contacts. So a fresh application is needed after some time (the next time you get the radio off the shelf :) )

As to the cost of D5 it doesn't matter to me as I use so little it lasts for a long long time.

Cant see how WD40 does much, just a cleaner maybe so could work but I haven't tried it.

Gary

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 11:06 am 

The original D5 is mostly Naphtha with a small amount of (D100L TRADE SECRET) they seen you coming!
Subtract the propellant Difluoroethane and do the math. Lol
MSDS: https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ ... 20MSDS.pdf

Data sheet: https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core/me ... 8&_xt=.pdf

The new stuff is nonflammable VOC compliant.
5% DeoxIT® D100L
60-90% SOLSTICE® PF
15-30% TRANS-1,3,3,3-TETRAFLUORO-PROP-1-ENE (CAS 29118-24-9)

For carbon pots, I'll stick to my can of Zippo lighter fluid and silicone - dielectric grease... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 3:28 pm 

I have an aversion to WD-40 due to my days in the shop. I could pick up the scent of it as soon as a tape player or record changer came in the door. The customer would try to 'fix' the unit themselves before bringing it in for service.
Many units were still wet from the WD-40 hose-down.
When confronted about it, many customers said 'Well at least I got the tape out'. Sadly it was usually pried out bending and breaking the the tape carriage assembly.
I know that they probably meant well, but some got a little rough when the tape would not eject.

I use a dropper of DeOxit onto the tip of a jewelers screwdriver and apply it directly to the spot it needs to go. An aerosol spray is so wasteful and 'wicks' into places it shouldn't be.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 3:34 pm 

For carbon pots I just change them for a NOS item or a metal look alike. If the carbons gone I cant see how anything can bridge or renew the gaps.

Radio is then good for years ahead

Gary

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 9:03 pm 

I have even seen YouTube videos where guys talk abut and demonstrate their "DeOx" (that's what they call it to sound like they have a trade secret spray) hosing techniques, and special methods for applying it. It really has gotten out of control. As they might say on Happy Days, 'jumped the shark."

But, once again, I'd rather spray this overpriced stuff any day of the week than WD-40. That is great for mechanical applications, not electronic ones. No petroleum based products in my electronics, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 9:43 pm 

WD-40 has the same aroma as a girl I once knew (briefly)... :shock:

Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 10:09 pm 

Well ok. Let me ask this and hopefully it’s not a stupid question. My system is a solid state 1971 Zenith B966. Its the first vintage radio/stereo console I’ve purchased and now wanting to work on. The last radios I worked on were in my H.S electronics classes I took for three years. That was 32 yrs ago. Lol. I’ve forgotten a lot of it sadly. The first thing I want to do is give this system a good cleaning. The system works now with a couple issues, but sounds good. First of all, should I remove the entire tuner chassis/control panel to clean (I’m afraid I know the answer)...yes :|
Second, should I first give the entire tuner/control panel a good bathing in a 99.5 percent pure IPA to remove gunk and oils? Or should I use something else that will take care of any corrosion as well? Second, should I then lubricate the components that are suppose to be lubricated. Let’s say with De-ox5. And third, what components actually require a lubricant? Thanks to all for your advices and time. Very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 11:22 pm 

The major problem with any cleaner when used on a band switch is that it loosens and picks up metallic particles, these are then deposited and sometimes absorbed by the phenolic material which makes it conductive. Most cleaners are non conductive until they are contaminated by the metal particles. Whenever a switch has been soaked with a cleaner it must be cleaned a couple of times with a solvent which leaves no residue and allowed to dry for 48 hours before use.
Do a search on any radio or electronics forum and you will find that many people have sprayed their switch's only to have them arc over. This also applies to tube testers and many other types of electronic equipment. Never use spray on any electronic switch, use whatever you want on volume controls, they are easy to replace.

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Sat 13, 2018 12:58 am 

The only controls that are mechanical is the "contour", bass, treble, and balance, which are sliders and the loudness control is a standard rotary control. All of the function switching is done electronically, there is no "function" switch on this model. The only mechanical switches are the FM-AFC and the on/off which are micro switches. Taking the tuner out may not be that big of a problem, but getting to the sliders will be rather "fun". If they are working well, I'd leave them alone.

Steve

PostPosted: Oct Sat 13, 2018 1:29 am 

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5173/5483 ... 9696_b.jpg

Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 13, 2018 6:16 am 

Thanks Steve.
Greg....that’s the one. Exactly like mine.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 13, 2018 1:13 pm 

Some pictures of the boards and everything you're trying to clean would be nice. It helps to know what kind of filth it has. For most of it I'd just use alcohol though.

I wouldn't use anything oily on the tuner except after cleaning I would re-apply oil to it's bearings and make sure it's only on it's bearings. Other things that can benefit from lubrication would be things like the volume control etc after cleaning except if you already used a somewhat oily cleaner. Again, make sure to use the oily stuff carefully without run off. As to metallic particles, that is an issue that can happen but I wouldn't really worry about it until it does and should only really apply to switches and not pots as well as higher voltage circuits where arching is more of a tendency. If you would like to eliminate this probability what you can do is either remove or carefully surround a switch with towels and spray contact cleaner very sparingly to flush out as much of the gunk inside as possible.

Let's start out simple though. Get the pictures and try to describe the kind of gunk you're seeing which has inspired to give the whole thing a detailed cleaning.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 13, 2018 6:50 pm 

Carlos...
I’ll pull the tuner and control panel out tomorrow and take some good pictures. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 10:12 am 

ArthurTransOceanic wrote:
I have even seen YouTube videos where guys talk abut and demonstrate their "DeOx" (that's what they call it to sound like they have a trade secret spray) hosing techniques, and special methods for applying it. It really has gotten out of control. As they might say on Happy Days, 'jumped the shark."

But, once again, I'd rather spray this overpriced stuff any day of the week than WD-40. That is great for mechanical applications, not electronic ones. No petroleum based products in my electronics, thank you very much.

Petroleum-based products are completely appropriate for many things. If you put any kind of oil or grease in a mechanism, it is very likely to come from petroleum.
With respect to WD-40, it is useful for certain things.....most notably controls. Of course there are many other things that are also appropriate for controls, but--with reference to the original point of this thread---I don't think that DeOxit D5 is one of them. D5 is intended for removing oxide from metal, which has little to do with why controls typically malfunction.
My local statistics:
I use WD40 for controls, certain kinds of switches (NOT wafer), and for freeing up mechanical things (which then get lubed with a petroleum product..)
While WD40 does not work 100% for these things, it has never caused a problem. OTOH, something like IPA has. (I destroyed at least 2 vintage controls before figuring this out.)

Back to the bigger picture, there are lots of different kinds of unwanted substances that get into or on old apparati. In some cases, we need water, in others, we might need something like IPA. But sometimes we need something like paint thinner or good ole WD40.

My lifelong approach has been to buy or make a wide variety of tools. This ranges from little widgets made from old hacksaw blades to some very big hammers, and most recently a 12-ton hydraulic press. The chemical shelf has all the common solvents, various acids including naval jelly, and a few things I'm not sure if I will ever use.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that I am still learning when to use tweezers, and when to use a really big hammer (or that monster press)

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 10:24 am 

pixellany wrote:
I use WD40 for controls...
So do I. Works fine.

The solvent cleans the control and washes away contaminants.
When it evaporates, it leaves a thin protective coating of paraffin.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 12:47 pm 

Footnote:
As a counterpoint to tool junkies like me, remember one of the cornerstones of "Internet Wisdom":

Code:
There are only 2 tools you need:
--If it moves, but should not:  Duct** tape
--I it should move, but does not:  WD-40

**That's a T, not a K----there is no "duck tape"--with no fingers, how would a duck ever use it???? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 2:52 pm 

Do not use wd40. Ask anyone who fixes something which has been doused with that crap. Guitar amps very often have scratchy pots, all wd40 does us attract more dust. Use Crc qd cleaner, deoxit d100 d5, or the fader lube for pots. Use the proper stuff, don't cheap out and use wd40 and cause more problems.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 3:18 pm 

Agree to disagree we will....

Does anyone have documentation suggesting that D5 is intended for controls?

Controls require lubrication, which faderlube certainly provides....not sure about the other things on the list.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 3:38 pm 

pixellany wrote:
Agree to disagree we will....

Does anyone have documentation suggesting that D5 is intended for controls?

Controls require lubrication, which faderlube certainly provides....not sure about the other things on the list.

LOL

Anyone remember the slide controls of the '70s? When dry were very hard to adj, shaft(stalk) often broke off. Few tuner cleaners were much help, the best for those was PTS Tuner Lube that left a nice greasy film. Worked slick as new.

I've not seen D5 was any better than most of the other socalled cleaners. Because I'd heard so many kudos over the stuff, I bought some at RS store closing. Glad I didn't pay retail.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 56 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next