Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 31, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grundig Majestic model 3045 WX/3D/USA
PostPosted: May Tue 11, 2010 2:37 am 

Some time ago, a friend brought me this radio to have it repaired. After going over it and replacing necessary caps, it functions on AM and SW beautifully!

However, FM does not. It is silent except for a whistle which appears about 100 MHz and drops in pitch as the dial is advanced towards 108 MHz. With a good antenna, I can barely receive 106.5 and 107.7 MHz at the LOW end of the dial.

Either I'm picking up an image, or the local oscillator is WAY off frequency. It does not appear to have been tampered with, but as having no schematic or information on this radio, I'm a bit stumped. I've tried a new ECC85 with no change.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone here had experience with these radios and perhaps have an idea what might be wrong?

Also, I have replaced the selenium bridge rectifier with silicon.
I have no experience with these German radios.

Thanks
-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Tue 11, 2010 5:15 am 

Clean all the switches...!!!!!!!!!!!
One of my grudigs was silent after recapping... the switches and the way they were built is almost criminal....
on my grundig 3192, there was a 150 ohm resistor near the begining of the FM section, which was open....
check the schematics.. I don't have one for yours.. :(

I have a grundig 3035W3D in queue

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Tue 11, 2010 3:05 pm 

Have you checked all the tubes (especially the ones in the FM tuner)? Also measure voltages and capacitors of all FM handling tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2010 3:53 am 

Hey Steve, I've got a very good set of schematics for your Grundig 3045. I have that exact set and it has had nothing done to it except the dial cord I replaced. It is a very nice sounding radio. Let me know where to send a copy to and I will.

Johnny

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2010 5:52 pm 

Thanks guys, I have cleaned the switches and checked the tubes, even tried another tube in the tuner.

I think I found the problem last night. The local oscillator for FM was way off frequency due to a 12 pf capacitor across the variable tuning cap which was way off spec. It is marked 12 pf but measures about 8 pf. It looks like a Japanese resistor, but is indeed a cap. I replaced it and now is receiving FM stations. I'll see if the trimmer I played with will align the dial markings correctly.

Johhny, thanks, I'll send a PM.

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2010 9:56 pm 

Hi Steve, What did you use to measure the 8 pf on the12 pf cap and did you take one end loose. I also had a open 150 ohm res. on the FM amp cathode on a Grundig .

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2010 10:07 pm 

knobsrmisn wrote:
Hi Steve, What did you use to measure the 8 pf on the12 pf cap and did you take one end loose. I also had a open 150 ohm res. on the FM amp cathode on a Grundig .

The cap was checked on a Sencore LC77 Z-Meter with the cap out of circuit. I'll have to look for that 150 ohm resistor. I'm guessing that's on the pentode section of the ECC85?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. The ECC85 is a dual triode. My mistake.
I'm having a real DUH moment here...

Thanks
-Steve

Post subject: Re: Grundig Majestic model 3045 WX/3D/USA
PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2012 12:03 am 

Hello group, Last week I received a Grundig 3045W as a gift. I would love to receive a copy of the schemtics from Johnny.
Johnny, my email is donfergy@att.net. My Grundig plays pretty well, however I need to clean all the controls. Someone had kicked the dial glass out of it and I would love to find a junker to retreive a replacemnt dial glass. If anyone knows of a junker, please let me know.
Regards,
Don Ferguson

PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2012 4:48 pm 

Don I sold that set some time ago. It had the original paperwork with it and it went with it. I'll see if I made a backup copy and get back to you.

Johnny

PostPosted: Jul Thu 26, 2012 2:51 am 

Johnny, thanks for your effort. However, last night, I was able to download a good set of schematics. I won't be needing them but if you or anyone else wants them, just let me know.
You know what they say "What goes around, comes around". I'll be glad to share anything that I can.
Regards,
Don

PostPosted: Nov Tue 06, 2012 10:08 pm 

Don Ferguson wrote:
I was able to download a good set of schematics. I won't be needing them but if you or anyone else wants them, just let me know.

Hi Don, I'm new here, just found a 3045W/3D in the hard trash pickup - it works - but could really use schematic or manuals if you still have a copy.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 07, 2012 12:27 am 

Greetings Yokel. I am very sorry to report that I spoke out of turn when I stated that I would share the schematics I had downloaded. At the time of the statement I didn't realize where the schematics came from. I am a member, in good standing with "Radio Museum". I value this membership and Radio Museum requests that only members share the website data. I really apologize for having made that statement without looking where I had obtained them from. On the other hand, to become a member of Radio Museum is very easy. It only takes a request from you, plus some effort to contribute to the website in order that it may grow. There is a wealth of data there and that is because members contribute some effort. I will always be willing to share data that is publically aviailable. Also this website "Antique Radio" is always very willing to help anyone that needs it. Best regards and again sorry for making the wrong statement .

PostPosted: Nov Wed 07, 2012 9:16 pm 

Hi Don. No worries, I understand. :)
Though the idea of a closed doors club is a bit off-putting in the open web, Radio Museum looks like a good site and perhaps I'll poke my head in the door. I tend to contribute whether I'm required to or not.
Cheers, Yokel

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 6:49 pm 

Here is a 3045 schema to get you pretty darn close. Here's another!

RWood

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2013 9:46 am 

Oh hey, have time again to start work on the radio and just rediscovered this Forum half a year later. :) A belated 'Thanks a ton' RWood!