Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No sensitivity on SW on Hallicrafters S-119 -- NOT FIXED
PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 1:03 am 

Eickerman wrote:
Ed Morris wrote:
I'm picking up Havana Spanish language broadcast loud clear with the external antenna connected directly to the B1 terminal of the band selector.
Correction: my external antenna is still connected to the terminal on the back of the radio. I ran a jumper from there to B1. Connecting the external antenna directly to B1 terminal (and bypassing L2) just produces static. Sorry for the confusion. Too much adult beverage? :D

OK, from the earlier post it looks like the voltage problem has been solved by replacing the selenium rectifier. Now for your antenna connection.

As you switch from Broadcast to SW1 and SW2 the bandswitch is (or should be) moving from B1 to B2 and then to B3. You see inductors connected to B2 and B2 which are actually two different secondary windings on inductor L2 which is your antenna connection from the external wire.

An ohmmeter check from the external antenna connector to ground should show some kind of continuity. I'm guessing less than 100 ohms. If it reads infinity then L2 primary is open and L2 needs to be examined more closely. Likewise you should see continuity from B2 to ground and from B3 to ground or again look at L2 very carefully for a broken or unconnected ground wire.

Basically L2 is really a matching transformer to help make your short antenna work properly on the two shortwave bands. There probably is an adjustment procedure for setting L2 properly to work on the two bands, but first you need to make sure you don't have a broken or missing wire. For what it's worth the schematic is drawn wrong and should have shown L2 as T2 (or T something) and shown that it is coupled to the other two inductors that are not labelled, but that's the way it goes.

Curtis Eickerman

Thanks, Curtis. I too think L2 could be the problem. I'll check it in the morning. Here's a better detail of the schematic, and the red jumper paralleling L2 shows how it is now bringing in good SW. But L2 still needs to be in the circuit to work properly. My head is spinning--and not from a drink.

Attachments:
schE.jpg
schE.jpg [ 94.92 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 2:29 am 

As I look at the schematic in comparison to how the band switch is wired, I may have an incorrectly wired bandswitch. I'll check L2 continuity tomorrow and check the band switch more carefully.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 3:29 pm 

Well, I'm making some progress. I now know the radio has been hacked. I knew the speaker was a replacement, and I suspected the orange jumper from terminal B1 to the RF tuning gang was not original but I thought it was a repair of the original. It actually does not belong there:
Attachment:
S119c.jpg
S119c.jpg [ 180.63 KiB | Viewed 422 times ]

I'm not very good at figuring out how these rotary switches work, but if I understand the schematic (see schematic detail in post above, but disregard the red jumper, that's a temporary one I used to get SW to work before I discovered this hack job), the correct connection would be under the chassis, from terminal 11 on the SW1-A to the RF tuning gang. In the photo below, it's obvious the lead was removed and replaced with the jumper in the photo above.
Attachment:
S119d.jpg
S119d.jpg [ 178.86 KiB | Viewed 422 times ]

I would assume someone removed the original connection and replaced it with the modification shown above because the range switch no longer worked. Whoever did it apparently only listened to the the AM broadcast band as the modfication cuts out the two SW bands. Again, if I understand the schematic, SW1-B switches the correct oscillator coil to the oscillator tuning gang depending on the range or band selected.

I'll restore the orginal connection and see if it works, but I'm guessing the selector switch is bad. Hopefully I can repair it.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 3:51 pm 

Ed Morris wrote:
I'll restore the orginal connection and see if it works, but I'm guessing the selector switch is bad. Hopefully I can repair it.

Things are beginning to make a lot more sense. The original connection looks like it is to the pole (sliding continuous connection) of the wafer. This allows the selection of either the loopstick, SW1, or SW2 inputs which are the other 3 connections. This wafer makes up a 1 Pole 3 Position switch.

Unless they literally broke a switch contact it's probably not bad. Might just need to be cleaned. It might also have a contact that has kind of lost its spring tension against the rotating contact. Even this can be fixed with a little bit of care if it has not already been mangled.

If all else fails, wafers can be replaced if you can find an equivalent. Barring that, I once had to "make" a switch contact out of a piece of copper wire soldered to what remained of a burned off switch contact. It wasn't real pretty, but it worked for many years thereafter.

Below is an Ebay switch wafer that illustrates how dirty those contacts can get. The lower left contact is the continuous one that rides the rotating piece all the time. This one allows up to 6 positions.

Attachment:
Wafer.jpg
Wafer.jpg [ 124.45 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]

Just take your time

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 5:20 pm 

Success! :D I restored the original connection and made sure the wiper was contacting the wafer and was clean, and it works great now. Not sure why someone went to all the trouble to hack the radio and lose SW reception. Weird. Now, it needs an alignment, and I'm ready to ship it off to my grandson for his birthday next week.

Thanks to everyone who helped out on this.

As I mentioned ealier, the speaker had been replaced in this radio. The speaker didn't fit quite right and bowed out the front panel. The original speaker grill was discarded and a hideous piece of decorative screen riveted over the front. I removed all that, straightened out the front panel, filled the rivet holes, and repainted the right side, adding a white dividing line. Also tried to match the original paint on the left side and touch up some scratches on the dial scale. Didn't turn out too good, but an improvement. I trimmed away some of the bottom of the speaker so it would fit correctly in the opening and re-installed it. I made a new speaker grill from bright aluminum modeling mesh and installed it behind the front panel. I also repainted the top cover as it looked as if it had been hand-painted.
Attachment:
S119h.jpg
S119h.jpg [ 94.91 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
Attachment:
S119e.jpg
S119e.jpg [ 149.47 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

The original red pilot light didn't work, so I replaced that. I only had a green lamp, so that's what I used, but I think it looks ok. The original bottom was missing, and had been replaced with another piece of the same decorative screen that was used for the speaker grill. There were no feet. I made a new bottom and installed rubber feet. As mentioned in an earlier post, the back was broken, so I added a reinforcement strip along the bottom.
Attachment:
S119g.jpg
S119g.jpg [ 185.59 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
Attachment:
S119f.jpg
S119f.jpg [ 161.66 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 6:27 pm 

Ed Morris wrote:
Success! :D I restored the original connection and made sure the wiper was contacting the wafer and was clean, and it works great now. Not sure why someone went to all the trouble to hack the radio and lose SW reception. Weird. Now, it needs an alignment, and I'm ready to ship it off to my grandson for his birthday next week.

It's hard to figure why certain things happen alright.

Radio looks great and glad its working.

Curtis Eickerman

Post subject: Re: No sensitivity on SW on Hallicrafters S-119 -- FIXED!!
PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 9:07 pm 

Great job, we always like to see a happy ending. Just remember to double box it if you are going to ship it.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:07 pm 

That's a real nice replacement grille option! I have a similar issue, with a bad speaker. Given that the S-119 speaker is attached to the chassis via a box and L-bracket (box welded to speaker), a simple 4-inch speaker replacement now involves a bit more work.

This article is a nice find. I think I'll do the same for the one I'm restoring (see my pic).

Attachment:
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG [ 78.08 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Nice job!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:55 pm 

I'm glad that the S-119 appears to be fixed (I happen to be working on another Hallicrafters as we speak), but one thing that I often don't see mentioned is that shortwave bands do fade in and out depending on time of day, sunspot activity, etc. Much more so than the AM broadcast band. I've had a few radios where the BCB band worked just fine while the shortwave bands appeared dead. I came back a few hours later, and presto, the shortwave bands were working just fine. This time of year, where I'm located, the common shortwave bands are most active shortly after sunset. One other thing to keep in mind is that there aren't as many shortwave stations as there used to be....

Bryan

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2