Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 01, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Novice starting out in antique radio.
PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2012 9:08 pm 

First off, hello all, from a novice radio restorer. I should point out I'm fairly green at this, but thought it would be interesting to learn something new, this time, antique radios.

So I recently came across a Crosley console radio that belonged to my great-grandfather. Over the past few days, I've done a fair bit of research on the radio, and I've found out a few things.

It's a Canadian Crosley radio, with a Mohawk Radio (Toronto) chassis. The model stamped on the chassis is 2140, but I found a tag inside the console that read "The Diana" (I'm guessing the model of the console?). The radio has 4 bands, 4 knobs and push button "presets".

I've taken the radio apart, and cleaned everything. I'd like to make the unit operational and refinish the cabinet.

I remember playing with the radio when I was younger, and I am sure it worked. I recently plugged it in and turned it on (before learning that this was a faux-pas) and noticed the very tip of the clear tube glowing. I'm guessing this is a good sign.

I guess my question is, what is my next step? I understand that all the capacitors need to be replaced, as they are frequently a source of failure. On that note, the capacitors all have values printed on the sides; say 0.05 - 500. What units are these?

When it comes to schematics,where is a good source for free schematics? I can't seem to find anything regarding my radio.

So long story short, what are things I should consider for the rebuilt? How can I narrow down what need's to be replaced? And where can I find information about the radio.

Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: Novice starting out in antique radio.
PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2012 9:25 pm 

Welcome. I would recommend philsoldradios (Phil Nelson is on here all the time) for some articles on how to start to restore radios. There are other good articles too but his seem, to me, to be written so a novice can understand it.

The most common values of capacitors are in microfarads or mfd. Some caps are in picofarads or pf. On many older sets, pf is labeled as mmfd or micromicorfarad. The caps that give the most problems are, in order of importance, the electolytic filter capicitors, the paper capacitors, then the mica or ceramic capacitors. Many times, mica or ceramic caps are still good and some people won't change them unless they are known to be bad. Always go by rated voltage or higher on electrolytics and paper caps. On electrolytics, you can usually substitute a cap of a higher value, not too high though, if you don't have the right cap. An example would be a 10 mfd where an 8 mfd is supposed to go or a 33 where a 30 was. Paper and other caps should be at the rated capacitance.

Don't forget resistors, they can go bad too, or still work but not at the value they are supposed to have. Sand and other power resistors are known to go bad and can create serious issues if not corrected soon.

The place to start is your electrolytic power supply capacitors. Once you change these, many times you can safely play your set if the wiring is OK. Keep asking questions and read the posts, especially in the electronic repair and restoration section. This will answer many questions for you.

Greg

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2012 9:38 pm 

Welcome, I too am a newbie. I have found this mans youtube videos to be quite informative. He does a great job explaining things for folks like us.
https://www.youtube.com/user/joernone

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2012 9:42 pm 

There are a number of sources for capacitors but an easy way for a newbie would be to contact Just Radios giving them the make and model of your chassis and ask them to quote you a capacitor kit for it. Give them all that info that you stated about numbers and names found on the radio.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2012 10:18 pm 

graveltravel wrote:

When it comes to schematics,where is a good source for free schematics? I can't seem to find anything regarding my radio.
Many thanks!

I have the schematics and alignment instructions, as soon as Private Messaging works again, send me your email.

Frank

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2012 10:24 pm 

Thanks everyone for your pointers. I'll keep plugging away. And thanks Frank, I'll get back to you once the PM function works again.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2012 4:56 am 

If you go to the Beginner's section here, that should help you get started with replacing capacitors and other restoration basics:

http://antiqueradio.org/welcome.htm

Have fun!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2012 5:06 am 

Welcome? Some photos of the radio and chassis would help us help you.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2012 12:18 am 

Sure, I can snap some photos and post them later.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2012 3:41 am 

From one Newbie to another, you couldn't be at a better place to learn. I couldn't wait to get my radio home and tear into it. I was in trouble from the start. I searched several forums before I landed on this one. I posted a thread and at once I received a reply. The best advice that I received was, go slow seek advice and be careful. I have ended up ordering three sets of caps because I didn't listen, didn't pay attention to the schematics and tried to do more than one thing at a time. I have a Sears silvertone Console. The Model that I have has several different Chasis, mine is a 2D, I used a 2E parts list and almost every cap had a different value. I received a 2D schematic and used the parts list attached to it without looking at the schematic, needless to say that didn't work either. Finally got it right the third time. Good Luck , in the short time I have been a member, I have enjoyed reading every thing written and the advice shared. Ed Price