Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1935 Crosley 555 Restoration Question
PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 11:17 am 

radiojohn wrote:
Ok got readings of 1.597 ohms On both caps

Do you mean ohms or megaohms?

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 3:03 pm 

I guess it would be megaohms as there is an m that shows up on the meter when i measured the caps. Also I dom't know if this matters ot not but one cap was 35 mmf and the other was 40 mmf I replaced them both with 45 mmf.

Last edited by radiojohn on Apr Thu 26, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 3:07 pm 

Yes megaohms would be correct then.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 3:38 pm 

radiojohn wrote:
I guess it would be megaohms as there is an m that shows up on the meter when i measured the caps. Also I dom't know if this matters ot not but one cap was 35 mmf and the other was 40 mmf I replaced them both with 45 mmf.
Yes, as Tube Radio said M on your ohm meter would indicate MegOhms (meaning millions) or or you can just say 1.567M. If it ever shows K on the meter that would be KiloOhms (meaning thousands) or you can just say 400K. If there is no letter that would be just Ohms.

Using 45 mfd for both capacitors is just fine.

While you still might have things disconnected (loose wire from the field coil that used to go to capacitor 9), measure the resistance from that loose wire to the chassis please and let us know what that is reading.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 4:37 pm 

I have a reading of about 40 megaohms. The Speaker is 800 ohms. Since this is a keeper radio for mt collection I think I will replace the Speaker and the Power Supply since I dont trust either with these readings. What would be a suitable replacement for the speaker and the power supply?Also I guess they call these transformers half shells!!On my parts list its rated @ 60 cycles 110 volts 25 cycles 110 volts 25 cycles 220 volts if this helps. Any advice ?

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 6:01 pm 

radiojohn wrote:
I have a reading of about 40 megaohms.
If that is the reading from the Field coil wire to the chassis this is good.
radiojohn wrote:
The Speaker is 800 ohms.
If this is the reading from one speaker field coil wire to the other this is also good. 800 to 1100 ohms is pretty typical.

So you could connect the field coil wire back to the capacitor. However, whatever other wire or components you took loose from this connection should have their resistance measured relative to ground before you reconnect them. We are trying to make sure nothing that connects to the power supply is shorted. All the readings should be pretty high (probably nothing under 5K).

Anthing that measures high (over 5K) with respect to ground can be reconnected to where it was. Anything that measures under 5K should be left undone until we find out why.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 7:52 pm 

The 800 ohms is what I read on the back of the speaker its not the meaurement. I only got about 40K from the Field coil to chassis. Do you know of any good sources for a speaker and a transformer? I dont trust either at this point.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 8:07 pm 

radiojohn wrote:
The 800 ohms is what I read on the back of the speaker its not the meaurement. I only got about 40K from the Field coil to chassis. Do you know of any good sources for a speaker and a transformer? I dont trust either at this point.
Sorry, I have not had to locate a field coil speaker in a long time, so I will defer to anyone else who might have that information.

It would be good to measure one field wire to the other and see if that is what you get, or at least something similar (they were not that exact).

The 40K I am not particularly concerned about. It was when you were measuring things like 400 ohms that worried me.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 8:16 pm 

Thanks for all your help up to this point!! I really value this forum!! I have a knight Signal tracer that I have to recap!! I will get it working and poke around the radio!! Would it be easier to find a more modern Speaker? I can call radiodaze and see what they recommend!! Also going to post on the wanted section of this forum!! Thanks again will keep you updated!!

John

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 8:33 pm 

Try playthings of the past http://www.oldradioparts.com/ and see if they have your speaker or a similar speaker that will work.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 9:50 pm 

After talking to Mark Oppat on the phone about this radio we came to the conclusion that my digital meter is not a good piece of equipment for working on these types of radios!! I am now searching for analog meters such as a Triplett 630 plk or a Simpson. My digital meter could not give any accurate reading!! More to come!!

Thank you Mark and Everyone for all your help.
John

PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2012 3:52 am 

Finally bought a nice triplett 630 Analog meter!! Where is the B+ on this radio? Does not show on the schematic

PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2012 4:09 am 

radiojohn wrote:
After talking to Mark Oppat on the phone about this radio we came to the conclusion that my digital meter is not a good piece of equipment for working on these types of radios!! I am now searching for analog meters such as a Triplett 630 plk or a Simpson. My digital meter could not give any accurate reading!! More to come!!

Thank you Mark and Everyone for all your help.
John

A cheap digital multimeter is not good for much of anything.

I use the digital multimeter from Radio Shack that can connect to a computer (never use that feature) and it works good for most things radio related, although when I am aligning a radio I use an RCA Senior Volt Ohmist WV-98C analog volt ohm meter.

PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2012 3:29 pm 

radiojohn wrote:
Where is the B+ on this radio?
It is measured with the + lead of your meter on the positive side of capacitors 8 and 9 and with the - of your meter on the negative side of capacitor 8 or 9.

Voltage measured at 8 is B+ before the field coil, and voltage measured at 9 is B+ after the field coil.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2012 6:40 am 

There are alot of posts on this radio . Does it work yet ? You want to replace the speaker and power supply because why ? Instead you could just install a modern transistor radio chassis in the case .

PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2012 10:40 am 

Ken G wrote:
There are alot of posts on this radio . Does it work yet ? You want to replace the speaker and power supply because why ? Instead you could just install a modern transistor radio chassis in the case .

Don't think be wants to replace the power supply.

radiojohn wrote:

Disconnect the speaker then measure across the field coil leads and also from each lead to the frame.

PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2012 8:41 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
radiojohn wrote:
The original can has white powder coming out of it!!
Oh no! You've let out the secret white powder! :shock:

Just kidding. Heaven only knows what that stuff might be. :)

Curtis Eickerman

Probably boric acid, and may continue to leak. Best get the cans out and restuff them, or you can get panel plugs electricians use to snap into the holes.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 08, 2012 6:43 am 

I did a 9 volt battery test on all componants in this radio!! Turns out that Everything was good except for the transformer!! It is fried!! I went through all the wiring again made sure everything was correct and turned the radio on with my variac and isolation transformer!! The transformer had a bad smell coming from it so I shut it down!! So now im on the hunt for a transformer!!

Thanks again for everyones help!!
John

PostPosted: Jun Fri 08, 2012 11:11 am 

Try Playthings of The Past and see if they have the power transformer http://www.oldradioparts.com/

If they do not have it find the specs and see if there is a modern replacement. Try Edcor first and see if they have what you need http://www.edcorusa.com/

PostPosted: Jun Fri 08, 2012 3:43 pm 

I tried playthings of the past and he did'nt have what I needed!! I will try the other sight !!
:)

Thanks again
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next