Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 23, 2017 4:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need capacitors Made in U.S.A.
PostPosted: Jun Sat 09, 2012 9:38 pm 

codefox wrote:
Let's face it, nothing much is made here anymore.

Even cars, American brands! Not long ago, and maybe still true today, the automobile brand with the highest "made in USA" content was the Toyota Camry (parts, labor, etc.) They even make them here for export!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 09, 2012 10:06 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Are Sprague Caps still made in N. Adams Mass. ??

Commonwealth Sprague Capacitor Inc
(413) 664-4462
1560 Curran Highway
North Adams, MA 01247

The old Sprague factory building was converted to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, worth a visit

http://www.massmoca.org/

Don

Someone with less knowledge than I had been in there before ....

PostPosted: Jun Sat 09, 2012 10:14 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
baspas wrote:
I'm tiered of putting Chinese capacitors in my Made in U.S.A. radios. It just goes against my grain. Is there anywhere out there with a good inventory and decent prices where I can get American made capacitors for my radios?

Is it that you don't want someone else one day to see these "funny-looking" Chinese caps under there?

Because ... Funny thing is though... I don't think the caps say, "Made in China" on them do they?
So the knowledge of exactly where they were made is only known to you.

Or do you have another more personal reason?

As for me... I just want the radio to work properly...

No, it's the Principal of it all. To me it's no longer a pure "Made in U.S.A." radio anymore. I have no issues with the quality of the caps I'm using, just their origin. Just thought I'd ask, maybe it is just a pipe dream. The more restores I do, especially on higher end radios the more authentic I'd like to be. I'm considering re stuffing the paper tubes. Maybe that will go by the wayside too after I do a few. I'm going to try using spray foam insulation to fill the tubes. If it works it should save a lot of time. If not, at least I've learned that it doesn't work. It is a shame though how we've let a Communist country drain us of our manufacturing base. Thank you Henry Kissinger. The country we grew up in is gone and a country that doesn't produce what it consumes is doomed.

Maybe that's why I like your Emerson quote.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 1:33 am 

Except for custom values and some military work in Vermont OD's are made in China.

Quote:

(413) 664-4462
1560 Curran Highway
North Adams, MA 01247

And as Ive already stated the manufacturing went to Mexico in 2000.

Carl

PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 4:00 am 

For electrolytics, try the Vishay Sprague from Mouser. I spoke with Mouser about 2 months ago, and the Vishay
Sprague were made here in the US. Possibly by Barker Microfarad or someone else

PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 6:30 pm 

Some/all of the voltage that powers your US made radio could be passing through equipment not made in the US. :shock:

I would not use expanding foam to refill your restuffs. In the event the next person needs to restuff, they will hav a heck of a time picking that foam out. Seriously.
If the tube it too roomy to fill completely with wax, I have rolled paper towel material to fill in the empty space, then seal the end swith that harder wax/resin that was on your original cap.
Original caps aren't filled with soft wax. I have a jar full of that resiny stuff, so when I need to cap off the end, I pour it in on top of the paper, then melt the stuff in the end.
The replacement cap is already sealed by itself. No need to fill the tube.

I can totally understand the principle of wanting US made parts, but like suing someone for the principal, it can become costly and not worth the trouble.
The majority of folks want cheap stuff, the companies want to make the most money. Parts are manufactured where this can happen. If no one bought foreign made items, foreign items would not exist.

Again, I understand the delemma, and I wish we all could have good American made components. But for now, there are other prioroites way high on the list to worry about, than if my radio has foreign made parts.

Take care.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 7:50 pm 

Even those yellow axial Chinese capacitors are likely to go away in our lifetimes, since there is NO commercial equipment that uses them. In a presentation at the last Charlotte AWA Radio Meet, Mark Oppat said that since there is little demand for these caps, the Chinese or Taiwan manufacturers will only start up a run if there is a need for 100K or so parts! So we must appreciate those sellers willing to order thousands of a single value and then sell them a few at a time to collectors. The lead time can be very long - 6 to 9 months, maybe more. Eventually, the manufacturers will likely not go to the trouble of starting up the machines. Then even these parts will go away.

Of course, there is the possibility that you may get your wish, and someone in the USA will purchase the machines. If that happens, the cost will be considerably MORE than today. Just like a company bought up the machines that make incandescent light bulbs from Philips and GE, and are now making and selling them (bet you though you could not get them, right?) http://newcandescent.com/ Of course, the law only allows "rough service" lamps to be sold, and of course, the cost much more than the original ones.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 9:09 pm 

Really need to end this thread. Does anyone really know where their fruits, vegetables or whatever is on their dinner plate comes from? Name brands and long standing distriuters fiercly defend themselves. Who really gives a damn where the stuff is produced?

PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 9:41 pm 

codefox wrote:
Who really gives a damn where the stuff is produced?

The OP apparently does. I just restuff so they are not visible. Easy enough.

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 6:30 am 

jupitercondenser say they make american caps for guitars - vintage electronics

Old post but if you have not looked into them maybe they will fit your needs.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 12:55 am 

CE Manufacturing makes Made in USA Capacitors--I've bought several E-caps from them.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 4:32 am 

Seems like you can find American made capacitors from guitar amp repair sites. auricap is another example.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 6:54 am 

I don't see the point on getting hung up with such principles. I would say use whatever works.
You should try to get quality components but you can't tell if something is quality or not just from it's country of manufacture.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 7:46 am 

Might be SOL unless you "roll your own" made in USA caps. :lol:

Though, can you still find wire, wax paper and aluminium foil that is made here? ;)

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 5:23 pm 

GuyWithHat wrote:
Whenever I need caps which are Made in USA, I will order Sprague 715 Orange Drops from Mouser. The "country of origin" line on the envelope always reads "United States" (at least so far). It's the only one I have found whose origin is clearly indicated as being USA. The cap itself carries no country markings, however.

For some projects, it just feels like the right thing to do.

Regards,

René

Hmmm. A few years back I emailed Sprague asking where they made orange drops and they responded that some were made in China.

RRM

Good grief. I just noticed that I responded to a post almost three years old.

Last edited by Retired Radio Man on May Mon 04, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 6:21 pm 

Quote:
A classic design utilizing modern materials and knowledge without forgetting original manufacturing techniques. You will get exceptional detail and nuance, and most importantly great tone.

From the Jupiter site.

I would like to test some of these, but my Nuance meter is busted.

Rich

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 6:27 pm 

BikenSwim wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

(413) 664-4462
1560 Curran Highway
North Adams, MA 01247

The old Sprague factory building was converted to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, worth a visit

http://www.massmoca.org/

Don

...and orange drops were made in Barre, Vermont, never North Adams. ......and Sprague doesn't make orange drops, atoms, or any of the other legacy lines (Pacer, Black Beauty, etc.)anymore. SBE took over the orange drop line in the 70s, and the Atom manufacturing was sold to Barker in Hillsville, VA - Bmicaps.com. SBE later sold the orange drop line to CDE, who has confirmed CHina as the country of origin. Sadly, as late as 2009, SBE was still running lines in Barre, making Orange drops, and CDE promised to make them in Vermont, but shifted:

“We will continue to manufacture these capacitors out of the current SBE Barre, Vermont facility utilizing the same people, processes and equipment for the near term ultimately transferring the manufacturing to other CDE manufacturing locations.”

I buy capacitors in bulk from Mouser and other distributors. I have yet to get a single CDE made Orange Drop made in USA. Sprague/Vishay may have older stock that was made in the USA, but the days of newly US-manufactured Orange Drops is gone. China wins.

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 6:33 pm 

Dave Mc wrote:
Even those yellow axial Chinese capacitors are likely to go away in our lifetimes, since there is NO commercial equipment that uses them. In a presentation at the last Charlotte AWA Radio Meet, Mark Oppat said that since there is little demand for these caps, the Chinese or Taiwan manufacturers will only start up a run if there is a need for 100K or so parts! So we must appreciate those sellers willing to order thousands of a single value and then sell them a few at a time to collectors. The lead time can be very long - 6 to 9 months, maybe more. Eventually, the manufacturers will likely not go to the trouble of starting up the machines. Then even these parts will go away.

There are plenty of boutique sellers in China selling the caps online - Mable Exporting used to sell them cheaply to me, but they chose to open their own website and grab the US customers as well. They are now Mableaudio, and handle 5K qty-or-more capacitor orders almost everyday. They aren't likely to go away in the next 10 years or so. I no longer buy/specify the axials, choosing the cheaper radials from other companies with a QA/ISO reliability.

Cheers,

Brian

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 38 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2