Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 23, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: recapping
PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2012 4:17 pm 

What does the term 'recapping' mean? Where is a good source to get these parts? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: recapping
PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2012 4:33 pm 

Hi

Replacing capacitors in a radio.

www.justradios.com , www.tubesandmore.com , www.radiodaze.com , www.mouser.com are some places selling capacitors.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2012 4:34 pm 

Hi Wayne:
"Re capping " means to replace the old capacitors with new ones.

The main reason for this is that the manufacturing abilities back when these old radios were new was not able at that time to make long-life reliable capacitors as they do now.

There are three basic types.
1.)Wet or dry Aluminum Electrolytic - Typical values are 5uf-100uf @ 150-450vDC, used for large values especially those needed in the power supply filter section.
2.) Aluminum foil & Paper with wax coating - typical values from .001uf to .1uf @ 400-630vdc
3.) silver & mica in a plastic case - Typical values are 5pf- 1000pf @ 500-1000vdc

Types 1 and 2 both age poorly and will definitely need to be replaced in any of these old radios made in the 30-50s
The problem is that as they age they become leaky and act as a resistor drawing excess current and wreaking havoc in the circuit.
Type 3 is rarely found to be bad but after 70 years or so now these too are beginning to show increased failures.
Especially if the component has a brand name on it "Micamold" or if the value is greater than .001uf.. Replace it.

Resistors also drift high with age and if found to be of more than 20% of the stated value should also be replaced.

All these parts can be purchased from:
http://www.justradios.com

PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2012 8:44 pm 

Thanks guys. I know nothing about restoring old radios. Just don't want to ruin my Grandad's old Silvertone 4465. I played it about 2 years ago, but will not turn it on anymore untill all is done right. I don't know what any of the terms mean.
This is a very helpful forum, and thanks again!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2012 9:00 pm 

Im sure you guys are gonna get tired of me, but another question: Where do I find the chassis number on the Silvertone 4465. Looking in the back of the radio, I can see where a paper sticker was on the back of the chassis but the only thing readable is the model number of the radio.
Also, if I remember correctly the green eye did not seem as bright as it used to. Does that tube need to be replaced?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2012 9:06 pm 

Hi Wayne

This should be the schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 017053.pdf

Yes, the green eye tube will dim over time. Best to replace the tube but they are costly.