Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 23, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1947 RCA Victor Radio/Phonograph Questions
PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2014 8:38 pm 

I found a 1947 RCA Victor Radio/Phonograph at a thrift store yesterday for $50. I didn't buy it due to some really bad popping of the wood veneer on the cabinet doors that open to the radio & phonograph area. I am not sure if I end up buying it how to restore or even how to order new veneer to match. The rest of it looked pretty sound. The guy said that he plugged it in and the lights come on and the record player spins. I can't stop thinking about buying it but I would like some other opinions. If I buy it I plan on restoring it and putting it in my bar room, Thanks!

Fred from Florida

Attachments:
47RCAF.jpg
47RCAF.jpg [ 29.19 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]
47RCAOpen.jpg
47RCAOpen.jpg [ 30.83 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]
47RCAB.jpg
47RCAB.jpg [ 37.01 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]
47RCASpeaker.jpg
47RCASpeaker.jpg [ 34.56 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1947 RCA Victor Radio/Phonograph Questions
PostPosted: Feb Mon 10, 2014 1:33 am 

Not bad for $50. Looks to be all there, if you like it go for it.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 10, 2014 5:56 am 

The style is nice, it is from the late 40's. Do be aware that the record changer is not original, it is a VM replacement
from the 60's.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 10, 2014 11:25 pm 

The replaced record player is a deal breaker for me. I like to have all original and like I said the wood on the doors are delaminating so bad that I just don't think it's worth messing with. I am looking for another project though. I just finished restoring a 1957 RCA Victor SHF-6. I had a blast with it. One of my closest friends bought it the day I brought it home. My wife was a little upset. She liked it better than the 1960 Motorola SK-24B. The motorola sound is so much more superior. I haven't restored it yet because it was in mint condition when I picked it up. I'm putting some miles on it so I will have to at least pull the record player clean it and lube it up.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2014 9:12 pm 

flauro23 wrote:
The replaced record player is a deal breaker for me. I like to have all original and like I said the wood on the doors are delaminating so bad that I just don't think it's worth messing with.

While I too, am a stickler for authenticity, do be aware than a 1947 unit would have originally had only a turntable suitable for playing 78 rpm records. The newer turntable/changer would allow you to play ANY records, 78, 33, 45. This may or may not be important to you.