Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 22, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unable to Rock
PostPosted: Feb Tue 10, 2004 10:50 pm 

Have been doing a realignment of my 41-629 and have hit a snag. I can't rock the alignment on the BC band. I can set up the initial 1720KHz adjustment just fine. The next step in the sequence is to set the 1500KHz freq but when I do the adjustment; nada. Nothing happens. This procedure is done at the small trimmer cap situated on the main tuning condenser.The tone from the sig gen comes in around 1400KHz. I wonder if any of the Philco Guru have come across this and how did they cure it? All the other alignment steps seem to work okay.<BR>Jesse<P>------------------<BR>If it Ain't Broke; don't fix it!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2004 6:18 am 

I took a look at the schematic for your radio. The thing that seemed the best possibility was that the band switch was in the pushbutton position when you were attempting to set compensator 7. In the pushbutton switch position, the section of the tuning cap you were attempting to adjust is out of the circuit. Could that be it?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2004 6:32 am 

Carter, I took that in to consideration also. I double checked the position of the bandswitch and it was on BC. I'll keep digging into the problem.<P>Jesse<P>------------------<BR>If it Ain't Broke; don't fix it!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2004 7:05 am 

Jesse,<P>I recently aligned a Grunow 5-tube set with a similar problem: The adjustment at 1400kHz seemed to have no effect when the screw was turned. The problem was that the output from the signal generator was much too strong when connected directly (according to the instructions) through a capacitor. I loose-coupled the cable from the generator to the set and then the alignment went as expected.<P>------------------<BR>Vinton Roush<BR>Fairfield, OH

PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2004 8:28 pm 

I had a similar problem with my RCA 224 on the upper shortwave band. I had the oscillator peaked to a harmonic, not the fundamental, so the image was in the wrong place. In that radio, you take the first peak you get when going from full-open on the trimmer towards full-closed.<P>Interestingly enough, the first peak may not be the strongest.<P>Tom<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sun 15, 2004 7:14 pm 

Problem solved! As Voroush pointed out, I was coupled too tight with the .1 cap. I backed the probe away from the test point and backed the attenuator down and it came in perfectly.<P>Jesse<P>------------------<BR>If it Ain't Broke; don't fix it!