Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 17, 2019 2:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Matching I.F. transformer
PostPosted: Feb Tue 17, 2004 4:49 pm 

Hi again,<BR>I looked through the parts index for I.F transformers and did not find a Philco 32-3483 it a 455 kc if transformer four wire in a rectangular aluminum can I think!!! 11/4"-13/8 square at the base. can I substitute another brand or Philco part with the same K.C. rating??? any suggestions???<P>Thanks again everyone for educating me.<P>David<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Tue 17, 2004 5:27 pm 

Usually most IF transformers of about the same vintage and frequency will be similar enough electrically to use. Configuration of leads, size of the can, and mounting dimensions may be different. The physical appearance of the part may make a difference to some restorers who wish to keep the appearance of the chassis original. Often you can locate an IF transformer made by the same vendor that made your original, and since you have the old can, then it is easy to install the coil and trimmers inside your old can. <BR>There were universal replacements sold by various suppliers over the years, which would work in most circuits of the same frequency. It is likely that anyone repairing a 5 or 10 year old set back in those days would have gone for the aftermarket replacement because they were easier to get than the original part. <P>------------------<BR>Dennis

PostPosted: Feb Tue 17, 2004 5:38 pm 

Thanks Dennis I thought that might be the case, but I just wanted to be reasonably sure.<P>David<P>------------------<BR>