Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 22, 2019 3:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AK 40 Tar Cans
PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 5:35 am 

Well, I decided to wait on the tar dumping for this evening. But I do have a few more questions:<P>1. Why are these components set in tar in the first place?...is it a good insulator?<P>2. Once I replace the components in the various cans, do I dump the heated tar back in? (on the brand new component?!)<P>3. There is some sort of tape wrapped packet next to the volume control...what exactly is that thing? (and what do I replace it with?)<P>Thanks in advance for the info. I'm not trying to be cynical or anything; these things have just puzzled me from the beginning.<P>Timnic<P>P.S. the rewiring is going quite well. My soldering skills have improved drastically and I believe the tough part is done (soldering to the R.F. Transformers without disturbing the coils!)<P>------------------<BR>Married to a card holding member of WAPSBINO; Wives Against Power Supply Baking In New Oven!

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 6:40 am 

Potting in tar or wax was pretty common in those days. It kept moisture out (for a while), looked good from the outside, and was relatively cheap (residue from oil refining).<P>I wouldn't recommend re-using the tar/wax. There's no need, it adds to the difficulty, and the vapors contain chemicals you shouldn't really be breathing.<BR>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 7:41 am 

Hi Timnic<P> Answer to #3 - There is a capacitor wired in series with your speaker terminal. This capacitor may have been replaced and taped by your volume control. <P> Agree with Alan, no need to reuse the tar. They thought it kept moisture out but really didn't. You will find plenty of rust under the tar. Another reason for tar, AK wanted to sell replacement parts. <P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 7:42 am 

That "tape wrapped thing" sounds like a replacement for the speaker coupling cap. The original was in a flat metal box mounted on the front of the subpanel. Be sure to replace it. It keeps high voltage off the speaker. I think the original value was 0.25µF, but I use 0.47/400V when replacing in the original box.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 3:39 pm 

Thanks Gentlemen!<P>------------------<BR>Married to a card holding member of WAPSBINO; Wives Against Power Supply Baking In New Ovens!