Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 20, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Admiral 195 11S
PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 9:27 pm 

It's been awhile but found a Tulsa area club and sent my chassis to the repair guy that does a lot of badly needed work. He found all the tubes and put in another speaker because mine had a couple open wires. Changed three or four other things to keep working tell he found antenna input transformer ('s) not working. This is a three band radio with two for the shortwave band. Seems these antenna transformers and the output transformer are hard to find I'm at a stand still. Also looking for a speaker and a lot of the caps. will have to be replaced.
Some pictures in Antique Radio Discussions under topic "RPC Chicago". Wanting to know what has to be replaced and what maybe fixable.

Thanks

Antique Radio Discussions

Post subject: Re: Admiral 195 11S
PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 1:31 am 

This one should still be reasonably straightforward to restore. On the open antenna transformer, see if you can find out a little more. If only the primary is open, you can either bypass the primary and connect an antenna directly to the secondary, or rewind the primary (winding not too critical, so easy to do). Usually the secondary is OK, but if for some reason it is open, then it still might be possible to replace just the BC band antenna transformer with a universal replacement: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/a ... ube-radios .

For the output transformer, a suitable replacement can be purchased from Antique Electronic Supply: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... 15-w-80-ma . This one is a bit pricey, so you may do better placing an ad in the classified requesting an output transformer from any radio using push-pull 6F6s or equivalent. Probably can find something cheaper.

Other than that, all of the paper and electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced, and resistors should be checked and replaced where needed (usually only some of the resistors need to be replaced).

But your repair guy should know all of this already, or maybe he is not experienced with repairing antique radios?

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 5:14 am 

Subject: Audio output transformer bad, Detrola Truetone 723. Norm Leal wrote this in 2015.
Universal push-pull output transformer? P-T291 from AES, http://www.tubesandmore.com or similar.
42 and 6F6 are electrically the same. Only difference is the base.
Sounds like what I could use?

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 6:24 am 

I thought that one might also be a candidate. Looks like it might possibly be underrated for a pair of 6F6s, but if Norm recommends it, I'd go ahead with it, as he is quite knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 12:13 am 

Any one know what the grill pattern was on this radio? Is the coils with the arrows pointing to them saying ANT. COILS the ant. transformers?

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 1:42 am 

Yes, the antenna coils are the antenna transformers.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 5:49 am 

Thanks Tom, I'm learning a little. I looked closer at the speaker and saw a split from top to bottom. The tare was so close I haden't noticed it but still may need a new one. Is the output transformer on the speaker? Looks like the P-T291 I found. So if I need a new speaker I should wait to see if it comes with a good output transformer?? Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 27, 2017 7:00 am 

I can see in the picture in your other thread that the output transformer is mounted on the speaker. I can also see that it is quite small, so this radio does not have a particularly high power audio amp, in spite of the push-pull 6F6s, so the 8 watt replacement output transformer has a good chance of being adequate.

If you manage to find a vintage replacement speaker, it might have an output transformer on it, and if it is a push-pull type (center-tapped primary), it is worth trying before buying a new transformer.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 4:43 am 

Are the paper condensers, C3-C19, on the 11S schematic, the capacitors that will need to be changed? If not all of them need replaced can you tell by their numbers the ones that usually go bad and get replaced? I thought that I could at least replace some of the easier ones while I'm looking for the speaker and ant. input.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 5:14 am 

Yes, capacitors C3 to C18 are all good ones to replace. Paper capacitors in general have a very high failure rate due to leakage. I some circuits this matters more than others.

If you want to prioritize:

1. Top priority: Three capacitors labeled C10 which couple to the grids of the output tubes
2. High priority: B+ bypass capacitors: two labeled C13, one C15, one C16, and oscillator plate coupling cap C18
3. Medium priority: AVC cap C12, signal coupling cap C3, tone control cap C13, volume control cap C9, and two audio output snubber caps C7
4. Low priority: Three cathode bypass capacitors labeled C11 and one C12

The electrolytic caps must be replaced:

1. For C4, you can replace with a tubular nonelectrolytic poly cap, 0.22 uF 630 V (I'm quite surprised they had a .25 uF electrolytic cap in here -- I've never seen one with a value that small)
2. Dual 6 uF 450 V electrolytic cap. Replace with two 10 uF 450 V modern tubular electrolytic caps

Don't replace any of the mica caps for now. Sometimes a few of those need to be replaced, but it is not necessary to replace them all up front.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:14 am 

Could some one give me a cost estimate of these 11 tubes with out shipping costs? I think I can find them in the area.
(4) 6J5 (2) 6F6 (2) 6K7 (1) 6A8 (1) 6J7 (1) 5Z3

Thanks

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:35 am 

Hi

Use this site to find tube prices if you want a spare set of tubes. Other than possibly one your original tubes should be good.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=201537

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 3:51 am 

Thanks Norm,
Looks like about $125.00 more or less and I did have all the tubes till about 12 or so years ago. For some reason I took them all out and put in box ( no reason to do that) and when we moved they were lost. The first guy I had looking at the radio got all the tubes and I'm going to check and see if he will sell them to me. That's why I needed an idea of cost. Would a 6K7G work in place of a 6K7? Looked at another supplier and it was about $75.00 but didn't have 6K7 but did have with 6K7G and 6K7GT.
Now I'm trying to find some information on taking apart and cleaning the electric tuner. Need to check the push buttons too. Have another guy that happened to work where my wife worked changing caps on this and he also showed me how to change them on a Philco 46-1201 that we got working and the phono works but getting a new cartage and needle. Both radios need cabinet work.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 4:58 am 

Tubes with and without last letters are interchangeable if you follow certain precautions. Metal 6K7 and others without a letter need to have pin #1 grounded at the socket. Tubes followed by G may need shields as these are tall glass. GT type are glass but shorter. These may need shields but different than G tubes.

Ask in our Classified forum for the tubes. No reason to pay $125 for the group. All are fairly common.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:03 am 

A couple weeks ago Gene helped me, he changed all the caps, with a Philco 46-1201 that my wife wanted at a radio swap. We picked it up for $20.00 then with new caps and one new tube it is up and running. Still need a cartage with needle, clean up around phono area. Now he's working on the Admiral, all caps changed and a few resistors. I went ahead and got the 11 tubes from the gent who had looked it over before and found it needed ant. and speaker transformer. I paid $80.00 which was probably a little high but with no shipping and we put them in the radio this morning. After putting a speaker on finding a couple other things we heard some sound. WOO Went thought the LONG tune up for the 195 11S and then a couple people talking on the short wave band but nothing on the broadcast band. He took off the ant. transformer to try to fix it. The motor is running on the electric tuner but one gears, the middle one is slipping, is not working on the three gear setup. I have it to look at and try to fix. All of the push buttons seem to be working fine. Still need to get a few things like lite bulb holders for the three in front and ect.
This is fun but I already too many hobbies and after watching Gene I'll never know enough to trouble shoot and test all you guys do. I do think I would like to find a short wave radio with some of the frequencys in use today.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 11:26 pm 

Looking at the tuning motor with the long shaft pulled up just over an inch in all three pictures. All gears are brass except the 3/4 inch next to the motor. It is some sort of fiber board sort of redish brown. There's a shaft coming out of the motor that turns a small, 3/16, brass gear. It looks like the 3/16 gear should be mated to the fiber gear. if you turn the long shaft, manual turning, only it, with the big, 1 1/2" gear, will turn. If you turn the fiber gear by finger all of the gears turn. The fiber gear turns a small brass gear on the short motor shaft.
Any one know how the fiber gear should be connected to the brass gear in the middle of it? pressed or glue??

Attachments:
ElectTuningMotor_1.1.jpg
ElectTuningMotor_1.1.jpg [ 53.47 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]
ElectTuningMotor_2.2.jpg
ElectTuningMotor_2.2.jpg [ 63.23 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]
ElectTuningMotor_3.3.jpg
ElectTuningMotor_3.3.jpg [ 70.92 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2018 3:33 am 

Wondering if an O ring would work for the string on my radio? There's two strings and the one from tuning knob to the large gear has been wrapped three times with string. It turns, some, but the small brass gear with three strings gets hung up on one edge or the other. You can see the brass gear in the last two pictures. If I could use a O ring then just one round should turn with out any hanging up. The "gear" I talk about probably isn't a gear but I couldn't think of what it is. Pulley? Maybe it didn't have a string when made, leather?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 04, 2018 3:21 am 

Went to Adams Manufacturing and bought one 169 Belt Number and put it on last night with help from wife and it works GREAT. Now only need a new grill cloth but haven't found what the original one looks like so maybe one close to what's on it.
Thanks all that helped..

PostPosted: Aug Sun 05, 2018 11:18 pm 

Just put chassis back into cabinet with new grill cloth. Cloth is not like the original but haven't found what the original was. Forget to find out what the piece was in the brass frame in front of the dial. Looks like some bumps holding it into the frame.
Turning dial worked fine until I put back in cabinet and now its slipping a little bit. Might have to use tensioner that it has but didn't think I needed. haha

Attachments:
8-5-18.5.jpg
8-5-18.5.jpg [ 58.04 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]
8-5-18.6.jpg
8-5-18.6.jpg [ 54.2 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]