Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 22, 2019 9:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 48-1274
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 1:26 am 

Power cord broke going into to main board. How do I take it out to get underneath it?

Post subject: Re: Philco 48-1274
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 4:17 pm 

Hi Imca63 and welcome to the forum!

If you own a Philco 48-1274, then you have what is undoubtedly the finest radio Philco ever produced in the post-WWII era. (Along with its twin the 48-1276; both models used the same chassis but slightly different cabinets.)

For those unaware, the Philco models 48-1274/1276 are 3-band receivers (AM/FM/SW) with phono, employing 16 tubes including a pair of 6L6G in high-fidelity push-pull audio output. They feature an electro-mechanical motor-driven pushbutton tuning mechanism. Retail price in 1948 was over $600. These are very rare to find today--according to Ron Ramirez only 1,140 of them were produced.

Replacement of your power cord will require removal of the chassis from the cabinet. To take it out, remove all knobs, disconnect the speaker cord where it plugs into the speaker, disconnect the antenna connections, then remove the bolts securing it to the cabinet shelf from underneath. Then carefully slide it out but be prepared--this is an extremely heavy chassis! Then place the chassis upside-down on your workbench. Although this is an extremely complex chassis, it is actually fairly easy to replace the power cord. You will note that about 3-4 inches from where it enters the back of the chassis, both of its leads connect to solder lugs on a black rectangular block. [This is commonly known as a Philco bakelite-block, and contains the line filter capacitors inside.] Simply un-solder the old line cord from these two lugs, install the new one in exactly the same orientation, and re-solder it. You will most likely also want to replace the rubber cone-shaped strain relief bushing for this new line cord at the point where it enters the chassis; an original-styled reproduction of this bushing is available from radiodaze.com http://www.radiodaze.com/power-cord-strain-reliefs/

I would be interested in hearing more about your Philco 48-1274. Is it currently in operating condition? Has it been electronically restored? Any photos would also be very welcome.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 2:58 am 

Thanks send me an email address and I will send you pictures.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:01 pm 

Imca63,
I have sent you a PM (Private Message) containing my email address. To view it, click on "new messages" in the upper right-hand of this page.

Regarding removal of your chassis, here are a couple of things I failed to mention in my post above:
1) In addition to the things I mentioned, it will also be necessary to disconnect the cords from chassis to the record changer. These consist of two pull-apart plugs, and should be fairly obvious.

2) I mentioned that this is a very heavy chassis. Thus you need to be careful when supporting it upside-down on your workbench. It is perfectly fine to allow the front of the inverted chassis to rest on the edge of the steel plate containing the various controls, but its rear must be supported more carefully. There is a small adjustment screw for one of the IF transformers which is the highest point on the rear of the chassis; this must not be allowed to bear the entire weight of the chassis or damage can result. Best method is to support the rear of the inverted chassis with a block of wood to protect this screw.